Announcement

Collapse

Technique Posting Guidelines

PLAYING TECHNIQUE DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

If you cannot post, please visit our Forum Talk forum for answers to more frequently asked questions.

Is your post missing? Please read forum descriptions & guidelines within before posting in the wrong forum.

See more
See less

REALLY basic kick pedal spring adjustment question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REALLY basic kick pedal spring adjustment question

Hi - I have an e-kit (TD-9 brain) with a Pearl pedal, which I never needed to adjust. No problems there.

But I just replaced the kick pedal on my daughter's acoustic kit (a relatively cheap pedal, 'cause its a relatively cheap kit.) The problem with the kick pedal is that it double-hits on each kick. I play heel up on this kit, and each time I hit the kick, it hits twice, almost like two sixteenth notes. The head hits the drum, then hits again as I release the slightest pressure off the pedal. (I keep my foot down the whole time, but I may be letting up slightly after each hit, just not enough to bring the head of the pedal off the drum.)

I've tried adjusting to no avail, but am sure I am missing something simple. Is this double hit a sign of a spring that is too LOOSE or too TIGHT?

Thanks,
    Mike

It should be tightened to reduce a double-hit. You basically want to work a little harder to get the beater to stay on the head, and the more tension there is pulling it back, the easier that will be.
    Granted, you may max out the spring tension and still have the problem. At that point, it's time for a focus on your technique...or some industrial springs.

Comment

Thank you. I'll give tightening the springs a try.

M

Comment

I had the same problem, and still have but less than before. I tight the spring and loose the bass drum head to have less rebound and reduce the tension on the pedal

Comment

Your head tension may be too tight. Also a less common problem may be your cam/beater adjustment. The angle of beater shaft when it makes contact with the head. If the beater has to reach too far for the drum it is under less mechanical advantage and has a tendency to bounce.
          TD-6v, (3x)CY-8, (4x)PD-8's (2x)PD-6's (1x)PD-80R (1)KD-8 http://www.cstoliker.com/Drums/

Comment

Have you reset your thone height and position for the new pedal ?

And what CST says.

Good Luck Mate.

Comment

Working...
            X