Announcement

Collapse

Technique Posting Guidelines

PLAYING TECHNIQUE DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

How to change grips while playing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to change grips while playing?

I see drummers that can do a quick twirl of their left hand and change from a traditional grip to a matched ( or matched to traditional ) while playing. Are there any websites that show this slowed down so I can learn it.

Thanks

In the Jojo Meyer DVD,I think its called Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer, Jojo shows a way to do it. Very good stuff!

My eDrums thread

My acoustic drums

Comment

Optimus,

Do you remember around which section Jojo shows that stick trick? I remember I saw it before. But I couldn't find it...

John.
      My compact kit.

Comment

I believe its in the first dvd... I haven't seen it in a while.

My eDrums thread

My acoustic drums

Comment

This is a serious question..

Why would you use traditional grip on a drum kit??

I don't see the benefit to playing traditional grip on a drum kit. It was intended originally for the marching drum as the drum used to be slung to the left. ( There are tons of people that swear by it. just doesn't feel "right" to me)

Am I missing the boat on something here..??

E
          - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

I personally play matched all of the time but some people say they're faster with their left hand when playing traditional. Like on fast shuffles and stuff that require a lot of fast nuanced snare work, I see some people play traditional.

Comment

I have seen Steve Smith playing traditional on the snare in his educational dvd, he explains he prefer it when a tight dynamics control is required. The guys is amazing changing his grips whenever he wants. I see that Carter Beauford uses that grip when doing marching band patterns, but he plays matched most of the time. I guess that learning both wouldn't do any harm to your drumming, but as there are so many things to learn one must have to be selective on what to learn.

------------------------------------------------
              Roland TD6-KW+VEX's

Comment

I play both, and I prefer match for hard rock, traditional for everything else. I feel I can play with more finesse using the traditional grip, which is great for jazz. On top of that, it looks cool, looks like you know what you're doing

My eDrums thread

My acoustic drums

Comment

I use both 'traditional' and 'matched' grips... and usually find that I tend to switch to matched when more 'power' is required... but play traditional when more 'detail' is needed... if that makes sense. I do spend a lot of my practice time matching the abilities of both types of grip though (more power with trad... and more detail with matched).

Comment

Neil Peart switched to traditional grip for a while and then abandoned it. I started out playing traditional grip when I played in a marching band in junior high, but I changed as soon as I started playing a kit. Traditional grip feels very awkward to me now.

Originally posted by Wikipedia.com
                    Peart had long played just matched grip, however, he decided to shift to traditional as part of his style reinvention in the mid-1990s under the tutelage of jazz coach Freddie Gruber. Shortly after the filming of his first instructional DVD A Work in Progress, Peart went back to using primarily matched, though he does switch back to traditional when playing songs from Test for Echo and during moments when he feels traditional grip is more appropriate, such as the rudimentary snare drum section of his drum solo, "The Floating Snare". He discusses the details of these switches in the DVD Anatomy of a Drum Solo.

Comment

Originally posted by evil1rox View Post
                      This is a serious question..

Why would you use traditional grip on a drum kit??

I don't see the benefit to playing traditional grip on a drum kit. It was intended originally for the marching drum as the drum used to be slung to the left. ( There are tons of people that swear by it. just doesn't feel "right" to me)

Am I missing the boat on something here..??

E
                      Have you considered the abundant amount of AMAZING drummers who play traditional grip? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0V4Aqs2D48
                      TD-6V, TD-3, KD-8, PD-85BK (snare), PD-8 (T1, T2, T3), CY-8 (Crash 1-2, Ride), FD-8/CY-5 (Hi-Hat).

Comment

And if it were really an inefficient way of playing this, would be impossible.

If it doesn't feel right for you, that's fine. I play mostly matched myself. But the evidence shows that it feels fine for a lot of players.
                        TD-6V, TD-3, KD-8, PD-85BK (snare), PD-8 (T1, T2, T3), CY-8 (Crash 1-2, Ride), FD-8/CY-5 (Hi-Hat).

Comment

I never played it, I've tried a little but it feels SO awkward to me, maybe in the next few years I'll work on picking it up just mainly for tricks and such.
                          Check out my NEW eBay Store: V-Drum Emporium!

Comment

Originally posted by drumdevil9 View Post
                            And if it were really an inefficient way of playing this, would be impossible.

If it doesn't feel right for you, that's fine. I play mostly matched myself. But the evidence shows that it feels fine for a lot of players.
                            -I never said it was inefficient.. I said I don't understand why it would be applied to a drum kit, and Buddy didn't help.

I watched the Buddy Rich link (AWESOME!!!-except for his knocking everyone that uses matched grip!!!) Look at his body position and the uneven shoulders...the lean to the left to accomodate trad. grip. It looked terribly uncomfortable even though it was second nature to him.

The fills Buddy mention are boring/lacking creativity because the drummers chose to play in a dull manner, or played what their skill level allowed.. not because the sticks were held over hand.. that just sounded like Buddy spouting off because he knew his "excrement" didn't stink. Which, by the way, was 100% true.

(-I don't think anyone ever acused Buddy of being a "nice guy". )

If people like it or feel it provides for more finesse on jazzier music..that I can understand. If they learned that way and that feels right to them..cool. I get it. If it creates a more jazzy "mindset".. that makes total sense.

I just didn't quite see any real appreciable benefit to playing that way exclusively...even if Buddy said so.

EDIT:

one thing I did notice on the second watch...it seemed to be a slight easier to reach under your right arm playing traditional grip when the need arises. That seemed like ti would be useful!

E
                            - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

On matched versus traditional grip (I play both but mostly traditional), I think it has to do mostly with feel and ergonomics and for the most part you can execute drum kit stuff using either grip. So my view is that the benefits (setting feel and emotional preference aside) are marginal in either direction.

Here's thoughts on some others that have commented beyond Steve Smith and Buddy Rich.

On the clips I've seen of Weckl, he's given a number of different explanations:
                              - switching between grips for emotional reasons (e.g., during a song) (Evolution DVD)
                              - switching to minimize fatigue (Evolution DVD)
                              - preferring traditional grip because that's what he grew up with (Evolution DVD and other places?)
                              - liking traditional grip because of the ability to give dimension to a groove (e.g., because it is easier to change the part of the stick tip hitting during ghosted notes because of the ease of changing the impact angle - PASIC clinic - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC2JS5QTpV0).

The best thing I've seen JoJo Mayer claim about traditional grip is the abillity to execute pull-out accents (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jL1OSDdwnI).

Personally, I think backsticking (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnkH_-1mmNQ) works better with traditional grip (although I've seen people like Virgil Donati claim an equivalence in moving between matched and traditional grip). I don't use backsticking a lot, but when one is using an striking instrument with different ends (e.g., brushes with rubber end on back end) being able to alternate the hits has its uses and the ergonomics depends on which drum you are hitting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZXMD8IU6zc

I also think moving to rim clicks are easier when moving from traditional grip to the rim click. Sometimes helpful for jazz passages that include quick comping between the rim cick and toms. The grip doesn't change and the hand just turns over - there's really no flipping or twirling of the stick that is often required for traditional grip. All said, there are many great jazz guys that can pull this stuff off with matched grip too, e.g., Brian Blade, Bill Stewart, Ari Hoenig. Either that or they just play with the butt end of the stick on the tom if a quick hit coming off the rim click is required.

Ramble, ramble, ramble ...

Steve
                              Roland TD-12, 4-piece kit (very downsized) setup
                              http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...0&d=1180324146
                              Gretsch New Classic, Yamaha & Ludwig snares
                              Agop SE, Vintage A Zildjian, K, K Custom Dark, Sabian HHX Legacy
                              DW Hardware

Comment

Working...
                              X