Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Break - how to...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break - how to...?

Hi all

Just a small question. I like brakes like in this video on +/- 00.40. But how is it played? I've seen it been doing already some times now, but don't know how they play that kind of stuff. Is it just 16'the notes tom tom bassdrum bassdrum, or something else? 16'ths on bassdrum throughout?

If someone could help me with this one, I'd appreciate it.

This is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QHec...eature=related

Thanks a lot!

Stijn
    'lectric drumma
    Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

That sounds like a VEX kit!

Anyway, I would need a better recording/video to actually figure that out. The audio is too compressed to really tell where everything lies.
    Alan
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I started a thread about how tight you setup your cymbals. When I see this, I think the cymbals are much more loose than I've mine. And still, mine tend to loosen up more and more even though I have them more tight than as seen on this video. Strange...or does he twist the bolts after each song?

Comment

The first three beats of that 4-beat break sound more like 16th note triplets to me (so 6 notes per beat - such as four single strokes up top before 2 bass drum hits on the bass), e.g., RH LH RH LH RF LF before 16th notes on the last beat. At least that's how I would think approach the basic pattern, and then one could create variations from there (e.g., doubling up on the bass drum hits at the same time as playing the hands, adding flams).

Steve
        Roland TD-12, 4-piece kit (very downsized) setup
        http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...0&d=1180324146
        Gretsch New Classic, Yamaha & Ludwig snares
        Agop SE, Vintage A Zildjian, K, K Custom Dark, Sabian HHX Legacy
        DW Hardware

Comment

To me it sounds like you could get the same effect by playing sextuplets on the bass drum and accents with the hands. I agree with Alan that it's really hard to separate the parts from that audio.
          Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

Maybe I asked my question wrong... I like that kind of fills (with lots of bassdrum), but 've never done them for some reason. Some idea's would be appreciated... Is it often played just like 16th notes on the bassdrum and at the same time on certain places toms added to it? Or rather ór a tom ór a bassdrum being played? What I do use for a fill (I've posted it written out once, a long time ago) is a sextuplet starting on 3, consisting of an accent on tom 1, two ghostnotes on the snare, two bassdrums and an accent on the floortom. This followed by an accent on 4 on the snare. Or also 2 x tom 1, 2 x BD, 2 x tom 2, 2 x floortom 1, 2 x BD and 2 x floortom 2, also sextuplets.

If you have any suggestions on double bassdrum fills, let me know!

Thanks!

Stijn
            'lectric drumma
            Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

Its what you think it is, its a smooth succession of t1 t1, b1 b2, t2 t2, b1 b2, t3 t3, b1 b2

Can mix it up with t b b b aswell, or even t t t b. Thats basically all it is, its just a very smooth roll of it.

He messes up badly at 3:30 if you listen to his double bass drum work... :-&

Comment

Originally posted by Myrk- View Post
                Its what you think it is, its a smooth succession of t1 t1, b1 b2, t2 t2, b1 b2, t3 t3, b1 b2
                Well, if that's it, it sounds IMHO nicer (or more "wow!") when you hear someone playing it than when you play it yourself. And that's quite possible, I've heard/seen things playing in the musicacademy, and later doing it myself with my teacher, and I always felt like: "huh, that's it?"

One thing I really found "wow" years was when I saw the student before me play a paradiddle Rlrr Lrll rLrr lRll first with right hand on hi-hat and left on snare, followed by the same paradiddle with accents (big letters) on tom 1 and floortom. When played on hi-hat and snare, hi-hat accents came together with bass drum.

Stjin
                'lectric drumma

Comment

This fill is simply over-the bar 16th triplets that creates a 3 against 4 feel. The 3:4 phrasing makes the fill sound more complicated than it really is.

Comment

www.dirkbrand.com

Ask him, he will tell you.
                    Steve
                    Roland TDW-20/HPD-15/ Korg Wavedrums/Vexpressions
                    Vdrumlib.

Comment

Originally posted by S.T.P.Boston View Post
                      www.dirkbrand.com

Ask him, he will tell you.
                      Steve
                      Merciekes! (= Thank you in Frech Dutch, or Dutch French, or whatever you call it. )

Stijn
                      'lectric drumma

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=237AQAvXtw8
                        Or a variation of it.

Comment

Working...
                        X