Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-9K - Purchased CY12R/C - Issues with Setup / Bell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-9K - Purchased CY12R/C - Issues with Setup / Bell

Hey guys,

I purchased a CY12R/C for my TD9-K.

I'm having a problem getting the bell to trigger.

I'm already aware of the bell modification that people are doing, but I think my issue is different than that.

On any other cable, if I remove the cable from the drum pad and touch the leads, I can get the cable to trigger a sound within the brain of the drum kit.

For some reason, on the bell cable, I can't get it to register on my TD9.

I've already went into the interface and told it I'm no longer using a CY8, but a CY12R/C. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to have any effect.

Is there some setting I'm missing within the brain of the TD9 that unmutes the bell cable? I'm getting desperate here!

I do plan on doing the CY12R/C bell modification just as soon as I can get the bell to even register at all.

Thanks for your help in advance guys!

does the sound trigger if you plug some other cable into the bell outlet...even though its not the 'proper' trigger, you can see if the problem is in the cable, or in the pad...
    TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Are you sure you have an instrument assigned to the bell input?
      I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
      Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

maybe you guys can help confirm something for me..

if i plug the bell cable into another pad (i.e. tom3) and hit tom 3, nothing happens.

I was however able to plug the bell into the cy12r/c and get it to register a hit like 3 times out of many many attempts

I think i can rule out the cable since i'm on my second cable after assuming the cable was bad the first time and taking it back to guitar center and taking their floor model's.

Can you try to take your bell cable out and plug it into another pad and see if it registers anything? Maybe it's just a different type of thing? similar to how the high hat pedal cable won't work as a pad cable?

Comment

btw I did have instruments setup for the bell sound and verified by using the steps Jmanword provided

Comment

On the TD-9 the bell input will not work as a separate input for a separate/different pad. It will only work with a CY-12R/C or CY-15R with both cables plugged in. You are testing this with both the RD and the RDB cables connected right?

If so..... Just for the heck of it .... it might be worth the time just to try this: Try setting the trigger system type to TD-9KX:

Changing the default trigger type
            You can change the default trigger type values that will be
            assigned when a Factory Reset is executed.
            Normally, you will not need to change this, but if the drum
            system you’re using has different pads and trigger types,
            you can change the settings as follows.
            1. Turn off the power.
            2. Press [POWER] to turn on the power. Then,
            while “Roland” is showing in the screen, press
            both [SHIFT] and [SETUP] simultaneously.
            The “DEFAULT TRIG SETTING” screen appears.
            3. Use [+/-] or [VALUE] to select the drum system
            you're using.
            4. Press [F3] (WRITE).
            If you decide to cancel, press [F1] (CANCEL).
            A confirmation screen appears.
            5. To carry out the change in default trigger type,
            press [F3] (EXEC).
            If you decide to cancel, press [F1] (CANCEL).
            Once the change has been completed, you’re
            returned to the “DRUM KIT” screen.
            TD-9KX default values
            TD-9K default values
            Last edited by JmanWord; 07-05-08, 08:45 PM.
            I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
            Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

I think you just provided an overall answer to my issue

Just a few hours ago, I was able to make the bell trigger. I had the volume down and was just watching which pad got triggered and was mostly hitting the head of the cy12 but then i managed to sneak in a couple that registered as a bell.

Now that I know that the cable won't act as a drum trigger on a seperate pad like a tom, I think It's safe to assume that I'm probably just experiencing the same issue other people are having with the bell on the cy12r/c just behing hard to hit

I will proceed with the modification everybody else is doing tonight I'll post back what I end up with.

Comment

Let us all know how it goes. My CY12 is a totally different beast since I did the mod. Very responsive and dynamic. It was anything but before the mod though and, like yours, took a good whack to get it to trigger a bell hit.

Comment

When I 1st installed it I though the bell was glitchy too you really need to smack it with the side of your stick. I find this a pain when I record in QR with an internal song.
                  Tama Arstar TM6 Pro 2X PD85's

Comment

Do you all play the ride bell with the tip the stick? I've never had a problem playing a roland ride bell at all on my kit or in a store. I use the shoulder of the stick on the bell weather its a pad or an acoustic ride. Just curious.
                    Quazi

Comment

Originally posted by Quazi View Post
                      Do you all play the ride bell with the tip the stick? I've never had a problem playing a roland ride bell at all on my kit or in a store. I use the shoulder of the stick on the bell weather its a pad or an acoustic ride. Just curious.
                      If you're hitting it with the shoulder and hard enough, its not a problem. But playing something like jazz where you want to finesse the bell with the tip of the stick, the sound just aint there. Considering the bell mod myself.

Comment

Where do I find the bell mod?

Comment

Originally posted by majorpecs View Post
                          Where do I find the bell mod?
                          someone, I forget who, so please, not stealing your idea, showed me that the trigger for the bell is actually on the seam where the raised, er, bell, begins - so if you hit the crease just where the 'bump' or the 'hill' on the cymbal begins, you should be able to trigger consistently with just the tip of the stick....but here is the mod: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthre...ell+fix&page=4
                          TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
                          ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
                          not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Working...
                          X