Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

moving around the drum set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving around the drum set

Hey

Ive been watchin a lot of youtube, and i've been trying to figure out the easiest way to move around the drumset. When the pros do it, it looks like they arent even trying, which made me think theres a technique to it that i dont know. i've been tryin to find a lot of videos on crossovers too, but i still think theres a much easier way.

Any tips for me?

Thanks

Make sure your kit is set up as ergonomically as possible. Other than that I think it comes down to playing the same configuration a lot to become more fluid in your motion. Maybe others have some suggestions.
    Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

Pros make everything look easy. You want to achieve a natural flow with all of your strokes, be it on one drum or moving between drums. This comes with years of practice. A kit set up correctly for you will facilitate this as mentioned before. It comes with time. Keep practicing and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by maddog24 View Post
        which made me think theres a technique to it that i dont know.
        There's probably more than one. It's amazing how you pick up more and more "tricks" as you go on. The pros have their rudiments down cold and play complex patterns across their drums effortlessly due to years of muscle-memory training. You just need to start that training. Practice things like paradiddles and double stroke rolls across the toms. You will eventually get it.
        sigpic

Comment

Stick control!

I have found the easy way to move the set around is to break it down into manageable sections. What? Oh! Move around the set! Sorry...

Vdrummer said it simply - practice.

Once you have the kit set up to your liking, practice those patterns you want to master again and again and again, night after night, week after week. Use a metronome. Start slow, then work up to faster tempos. Gradually, you find you can do it with less effort and greater accuracy.

For instance, I use my drums to work out. 45 to 60 minutes of hard playing to fast tunes gets my heart rate up, so I get a decent aerobic workout. Problem is, I'm expending less effort playing the same songs, so I have to keep finding more demanding songs.

When I watch drummers who make it look easy, it looks almost like they are throwing their hands and sticks around the kit, as opposed to striking the drums as one would strike a nail with a hammer. Start at low volumes. Control comes before speed and power, and you can't have control unless you are relaxed.
          Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

As metioned its all about finding path ways around the kit, they can be in the form of rudiments or more free form patterns. And remember you play the stroke from the wrist and the arms get you around the kit...
            My Kit
            http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...2&d=1257067362

Comment

I've set my kit up in a way that I only have to turn around to hit all the thoms, with my right arm staying in the exaxt same anlge... Maybe you could try it that way too?

Stijn
              'lectric drumma
              Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

Does anyone have some examples of the rudiments they use to move around the set. I know the paradiddles and stuff, but like any tips on double stroke rolls between drums, and crossover patterns? Ive been tryin to work some out, just to get some speed goin from drum to drum, but none of them sound very good lol.

Comment

check out some of the instructional videos from drummerworld.com, under drum clinic. Great resource.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drumclinic.html

Comment

Here's another 2 penny suggestion. Find a group of patterns that you use in a song and play whole songs with your eyes closed. This developes "sound zone associations". Your brain will put SZA together with your "muscle memory" and eventually your arms and hand will just go to the sound you choose.
                    Last edited by drumslinger50; 07-08-08, 10:34 AM.

Comment

And here's the stupid answer but works for me, I play a certain amount of the time with my eyes closed, it's hard at first becasue if you threw your head in your hands you'd miss but it's amazing how it focuses you to play with your eyes open, It just tends to flow.

Also correct seating position relative to your kit setup so you're not throwing yourself round the kit to reach certain parts.

And practise practise practise

Good luck fella
                      N.
                      TD-12 VEX TMC-6 A2E kit 16 pieces and growing and a cursed left handed child of the devil.

Comment

Originally posted by maddog24 View Post
                        Hey

Ive been watchin a lot of youtube, and i've been trying to figure out the easiest way to move around the drumset. When the pros do it, it looks like they arent even trying, which made me think theres a technique to it that i dont know. i've been tryin to find a lot of videos on crossovers too, but i still think theres a much easier way.

Any tips for me?

Thanks
                        a good book for coordination and getting around the kit. I have this book - an earlier edition, and it is amazing!

Rhythmic Patterns (Full Drum Set Studies for the Modern Drummer) By Joe Cusatis

many 16th patterns and triplet patterns.

Comment

Personally, I think "flow" has a lot to do with balance. By balance I mean cross-body symmetry. Whatever motion or rudiment-across-the-set you practice, try to do the same in reverse. If you lead with your right hand, try leading with your left going the opposite way. You may eventually take this to the extreme (as I did) and make a symmetrical kit layout.

But ultimately as already said, it's all about practice. Some people call it "muscle memory", but of course muscles don't really have memory. What you're doing, quite literally, is rewiring your brain. You're fine tuning the firing of your neural network to smoothly and effortlessly trigger muscle contractions. That takes a little time. Eventually, you'll pare down the motion and any opposing contraction will disappear. You'll get faster, yet do so with less effort as you aren't "fighting yourself". You just relax and let it flow. If you don't believe that, try doing something that is very easy but with the opposite hand, for example, banging out an uninterrupted string of 16s on the ride with your left hand (if you're a rightie). The tension will be apparent after a minute or so. It's difficult not because your left hand/arm has much lower aerobic conditioning than your right, it's because of inefficient neuro-motor response. Lots more of this on my blog if you're interested. Here are some you might like:
                          http://scienceblogs.com/bushwells/20...etry_exper.php
                          http://scienceblogs.com/bushwells/20...nts_part_3.php
                          http://scienceblogs.com/bushwells/20...ordination.php

Finally, some people think it's kind of a Zen thing: "Be the drum, Danny. BE the drum. Danny. Naa na na na na..."

Comment

Namaste Jim

Anyway, being the drum involves feeling right about the way the toms respond to your strokes, their angle, the distance of them, their sound and responsiveness. The most important factors in that respect seem (to me) to be the tuning, the angle and position of the parts, and the sticks. The sticks are very important to me ... with the right sticks for the right song, I can play anything. Needless to say, I change sticks depending on the song.

"Good sticks" is very hard to define ... you will need a whole arsenal of them and experiment your way around. On an e-kit, it may be less of an issue because you have so many other ways of adapting the kit to the drummer, but on a-kits, I am usually stuck with having to adapt to the kit and the song ... my tricks are the sticks.
                            Ask not whether something is useful -- ask what it is useful for.

Roland TD-12, Iron Cobra hihat stand and bass-drum pedal from TAMA. My accoustic kit is a Yamaha Power-V Birch with Paiste Alpha-series splashes, crashes, and hihat. My ride is a Zildjan Ping Ride, 20" I think.

Check out my TD-12 on Youtube. My page is here http://www.youtube.com/HerlPearl.

Comment

JimFiore please explain ..

JimFiore, what does the article http://scienceblogs.com/bushwells/20...ordination.php mean by this?

** A triplet is three notes in the normal space of two. So, a drummer will have one hand doing the twos, and the other doing the threes. Imagine a repeating sequence of six equally spaced notes, say one per second. Your right hand may be hitting on 1, 3 and 5 while your left hand is hitting on 1 and 4. Try it. As he was relatively new at this, my student was having some difficulty doing it the opposite way (left = 1, 3, 5 and right = 1, 4). **

Thanks
                              Roland TD12KX V Drums

Comment

Working...
                              X