Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Roland Rack / Clamp complaints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Roland Rack / Clamp complaints

Sounds like most of us are unhappy with the Roland Racks! My biggest complaint is that the rack bars are round and have a glossy finish, there is no way in hell that you can keep the pads from moving around on you with this design unless you're playing love ballads all night! Especially the hi-hat and snare pad which take the most abuse. Did the fine engineers at Roland not think that these pads were going to be struck over and over again with sticks when they designed this fine rack?
    So has anyone found a way to keep the clamps from shifting or do I need to buy a new rack to be able to use my V-Custom without stopping every 5 minutes to re adjust the snare / hi-hat?
    Thanx!

------------------
    Check out my Drums!

One option to keep the clamps (pads) from moving during your performance would be to drill a small pilot hole and install a small "set screw"...There's always the possibility that over time, the clamp may develop a crack near this hole - but it should work in the 'short-term'.

I've done this with several items that I've attached to smooth pipes over the years.

Good Luck!!!

Comment

My experience isn't quite like yours -- I have the V-Pro kit for one, which has textured rack pipes. I've broken a couple of the clamps, tho, and that is a bit of a *****. Which brings me to my point...

Have you tried aftermarket clamps? The Gibraltar-style clamps exert a ton of pressure, and seem to work really well.
      You might consider knurling the rack pipe or (preferably) the inside of the clamp to get more grip.

Other folks have used self-adhesive non-skid tape, which is kinda like sandpaper, on the rack pipes under the clamps, too.

Hope you find something that works to your liking.

-Danny

-Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I just jumped into the V Drum world (so I'm also broke). I'm impressed with the overall HYBRD(acoustic/electric) feel from my session kit. I've thought of an issue (possible complaint) with the rack clamps and the entire V mounting system. First, why no MEMORY LOCKS? Tama Satclassic mounting system has memory locks on their L-rods and the Gilbratar rack clamps have memory brackeks. Both, dramatically decrease the amount of set-up and tweaking time. More importantly, each of them also improve the strengh and stability during moderate to heavy playing. Any alternatives, or do I have to begin thinking about aftermarket hardware? JMIII

Comment

I fought with the stock rack for about 2 years and finally broke down and bought a gibraltar. I don't regret spending a single penny of it. FWIW, I still have a bunch of the old parts free for the asking. If you can figure out a good way to cover postage, I'll ship the whole lot of my spare parts to ya.

Comment

How about I send you a check.

Comment

where is US-MD?

Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

I believe MD is the abbreviation for Maryland.
                East coast, next to Delaware.

------------------
                Woody
                Woody

2002 Purple V-Session w/PM-3 monitor-TDA-700 amplifier

1971 Psychedelic Red Ludwig Rockers with Zildjian cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by Woody:
                  I believe MD is the abbreviation for Maryland.
                  East coast, next to Delaware.

Yea, yea, I'm assuming that, but where in Maryland! (my fault, I wasn't specific.)

Boingo, Delaweenian
                  Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Woody is correct. US-MD is Maryland. I'm in Bethesda, just north of DC.

If you are serious about taking the old rack parts off my hands and are willing to pay shipping, drop me a line via email at [email protected] and we'll figure something out.

Comment

Originally posted by jgerm:
                      Woody is correct. US-MD is Maryland. I'm in Bethesda, just north of DC.

If you are serious about taking the old rack parts off my hands and are willing to pay shipping, drop me a line via email at [email protected] and we'll figure something out.

I sent you an e-mail. I'd like them if Florida Drummer isn't interested.

Comment

I use a Gibraltar rack with curved bar which I also use with my accoustic kit. The clamps are held in place with memory locks and are rock solid even when I'm playing hard. Gibraltar racks are cheap (in the UK at least) and most larger music stores have a good assortment of second hand tubes and clamps. I threw away the Roland cymbal and snare holders - far too light and bendy - along with the plastic clamps which slip. The only plastic clamp I kept is the one for the brain.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradiddle:
                          Sounds like most of us are unhappy with the Roland Racks! My biggest complaint is that the rack bars are round and have a glossy finish, there is no way in hell that you can keep the pads from moving around on you with this design unless you're playing love ballads all night! Especially the hi-hat and snare pad which take the most abuse. Did the fine engineers at Roland not think that these pads were going to be struck over and over again with sticks when they designed this fine rack?
                          So has anyone found a way to keep the clamps from shifting or do I need to buy a new rack to be able to use my V-Custom without stopping every 5 minutes to re adjust the snare / hi-hat?
                          Thanx!

Smokey50

Comment

I don't have any problem with the Roland rack and I'm a fairly heavy hitter, playing Vic Firth 5B's.
                            My rack isn't a glossy finish, though. It's more of a satin finish. More texture to the painted surface.
                            I guess it must come with years of playing and stick control. If you must, I would crank down a little more on the clamps.
                            No problem here with the Roland rack system. As a matter of fact, I like the way it folds up to carry off to my pick up truck.
                            Easy set up and break down.
                            Did I mention STICK CONTROL!!!

------------------
                            Woody
                            Woody

2002 Purple V-Session w/PM-3 monitor-TDA-700 amplifier

1971 Psychedelic Red Ludwig Rockers with Zildjian cymbals

Comment

Woody, c'mon! You never broke a clamp or had any difficulty in using this rack? The plastic clamps are very touchy and seem to break if you look at them crosseyed!
                              V-Custom w Roland TD-8 and and Alesis DM5, DIY edrums

Comment

Working...
                              X