Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

finger technique help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finger technique help

hey,

Ive been workin on my finger technique and i seem to be getting it well, but the one problem i am having that i cant seem to fix is.....the stick rotates while i play and the stick slowly slides out of my hand.

Ive been playing with different tensions in my finger/thumb, but i cant seem to do it without the stick spinning in my hand. when i make it so the stick doesnt spin...im holding it way too tight and it doesnt bounce back.

Anyone else have this problem? should i try some grip tape?

With practice this will stop happening. You should never grip your sticks tight for any reason, other than a press roll, stay relaxed and you will get there. Jo Jo Mayer's DVD secret weapons for the modern drummer is one of the best for stick techniques, he shows you all the tricks in the book, one particular for fingers is using individual fingers and alternating. For example 4 on index 4 on middle 4on ring 4 on little then back again (if that makes sense) great DVD very highly recommended...
    My Kit
    http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...2&d=1257067362

Comment

Agree with M_C_M, JOjo Mayers dvd is helpful. I had similar problems earlier, hold my sticks way back and to stiff. Best is to take some minutes every day practise very basic things and just focus on relaxation in arms and fingers. Good Luck!
      2Box DrumIt Five, TDW-20BK , additional Kit Toys & Roland cymbals, 2Box, Pearl and Sonor pedals

Comment

Good advice by M_C_M and rythm. Always stay loose.

Just to add a couple of ideas:
        Try moving your first finger slighly ahead of the thumb instead of directly opposite it. This moves the fulcrum slighly.
        Try practicing as if you were playing the ceiling. (don't actually hit anything) And use nothing but your fingers. This will teach you a lot of control.
        When you are practicing, make sure to use only wrist and fingers - no arm movement.
        And stay loose - heh.
        It will all come together.
        sigpic

Comment

using the correct finger techique the stick spins in my hands too. i think that is normal and should be no real issue. just as long as you dont drop sticks
          Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Originally posted by jammin777 View Post
            using the correct finger techique the stick spins in my hands too. i think that is normal and should be no real issue. just as long as you dont drop sticks
            Nope, it is not normal. It just means you haven't acheived proper control yet. When I start getting sloppy and forgetting my technique, my left hand will allow the stick to rotate a bit. The butt of the stick will end up in the middle of my palm instead of the corner. This comes from gripping too tightly and is usually brought on by fatigue.

As a person who struggles with the left hand, I have found the difference between good and sloppy technique is subtle. You need to pay close attention to everything and practice slowly to enforce good behavior.
            sigpic

Comment

Thats good advise Michael. You should checkout Dom Famularo on the Vicfirth website he has some great lessons there on how to hold your sticks and the different types of grips and he teaches the free stroke which I think is the most important stroke in drumming...
              My Kit
              http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...2&d=1257067362

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
                Nope, it is not normal. It just means you haven't acheived proper control yet. When I start getting sloppy and forgetting my technique, my left hand will allow the stick to rotate a bit. The butt of the stick will end up in the middle of my palm instead of the corner. This comes from gripping too tightly and is usually brought on by fatigue.

As a person who struggles with the left hand, I have found the difference between good and sloppy technique is subtle. You need to pay close attention to everything and practice slowly to enforce good behavior.
                let me clearify, most of my grip is between my index finger and thumb, most of my stroke is between my wrist and fingers. the fingers do alot of the work. especialy the down strokes which i feel is a very relaxing technique. flick of the wrist on the up and fingers and wrist to bring it down
                yes the stick does rotate in my hands because i am not gripping tighly. i dont have a problem loosing grip of my sticks in either hand or sticks sliding out. the same technique the neil uses on his video a work in progress. yes i know he used traditional grip. i apply the same technique with my left as my right as a matched grip player.
                Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Ah, so when you talk about rotate, you mean just spinning of the shaft, not shifting right or left in your hand?
                  sigpic

Comment

Ah, so when you talk about rotate, you mean just spinning of the shaft, not shifting right or left in your hand?
                    yes thats right

Comment

yes thats right
                      Then please carry on as if I wasn't here.
                      sigpic

Comment

Then please carry on as if I wasn't here.
                        no worries my friend. can i help ya find your power jewel?

Comment

no worries my friend. can i help ya find your power jewel?
                          That's right, my avatar doesn't have one. I'd better get crackin'.
                          sigpic

Comment

so wait...is it normal for the shaft of the stick spin in your hands?? or is that something that i should work to stop? i think i am gonna try some grip tape. just make it a bit easier on me lol

Comment

I can live with the sticks rotating (spinning) in my hands.....I'm not happy that I keep dropping them......

Comment

Working...
                              X