Announcement

Collapse

Technique Posting Guidelines

PLAYING TECHNIQUE DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Rack damping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack damping

Now that the forum is here, lets use it!

I have a Gibralter rack. Once you get several toms and cymbals mounted to it, it becomes harder to eliminate the crosstalk. What have you tried to dampen the resonant and direct triggering from other pads.

I've tried two ways. I've used the expansive tan foam insulation (Great Stuff I think it's called) that you can buy at Home Depot. It is messy, and hard to make sure that you fill all of the voids in the pipe. There is a regular version that expands quickly, and a slower expanding version. The slower version works better. The other way that I have tried (just tried it a few days ago, so the jury is still out on how effective it is.) is to get some rubber pipe insulation (Armaflex) from Home Depot (you can see I love Home Depot) and stuff it inside the pipe. This is kind of tricky, and after a few tries, I ended up having to cut the insulation into 6" to 10" sections, and spray some WD-40 inside the pipe so that you can slide each section in. I used a broom handle to push each section in. This seems to work well.

Do any of you have any other tricks?

Dean

I used packing popcorn (small, irregular pieces of styrofoam that comes in packages) and it solved the problem completely.

Jay
    jg52

Comment

Wow, I never would have thought about insulating the inside of the pipes. Great ideas guys-thanks!

Just out of curiosity, can you actually hear the difference? In other words, are the PD-7s or PD-9s less noisy when you play without amplification?

Rick

Comment

The difference is less the sound of the pads, but the sound of the rack tube itself. Without the insulation inside the pipe, if you hit the pipe, you will get a ringing type sound. With the insulation you get sort of a thud. What this does is lessen the vibration that travels from one pad to another.

Dean

Comment

Dean,

Thanks for replying!

Off to buy some packing popcorn.

Rick

Comment

If you use real popcorn you can get the same effect, plus a nice snack during the inevitable 12 times a set that the guitars need retuning .

Comment

Am I the only geek using the rack for e-stuff and stands for the rest? (I can't afford another rack)

Comment

Hi There!
                I guess I got it Bass Ackwards!
                I just got some foam rubber pipe (dark grey or black) insulation from Lowes (the kind that is split ) and put it on the pipes on the outside, then wraped a strip of velcro around itwith the split toward me!

It looks cool and keeps the pipes from getting messed up and NO cross talk!
                Kind of a BMX bike look to boot!
                Also, I have the new upgrade, all I can say is ...GO OUT AND GET IT! it works great!
                Ron J.

Comment

Originally posted by jbandpc:
                  Am I the only geek using the rack for e-stuff and stands for the rest? (I can't afford another rack)
                  No.
                  I'm using a cymbal stand at my left to hold the TD-10 and one PD-5. Because my MDS-7 (Roland's small rack) is over crowded. I'm also going to add another cymbal/tom stand to my right for the fourth tom and cymbal.

Comment

does anyone know a good way to damp the sound the vdrum-pads produce? Even though these drums are very quiet (much quieter than acoustic ones at least!!) they still produce some noise, which annoys my neighbors! :-( So, I wanna find a good way to damp most of that noise coming from the pads and foot pedals..
                    Any ideas?!
                    I do NOT want to build a chamber for the set!

Comment

Originally posted by TBoy:
                      does anyone know a good way to damp the sound the vdrum-pads produce?
                      Mesh pads shouldn't be a problem. But the evil KD-7 kick pad and the "mad" sisters rubber pads PD-5, PD-7 and PD-9 are quite noisy.
                      It helps if you mounts your kit over a matress and a wooden ply. I live on a brick made house so I don't receive any complaints from the neighbours.

Pierre.

Comment

Tboy,

Just a thought that most likely any noise the neighbors find annoying is from the kick pad vibrating through the floor. The PD-7/9 are noisy within a room, but the noise probably don't pass on to neighbors nearly as much as a kick pad. So, I'm not sure a chamber would do you much good anyway.

[This message has been edited by neirbo (edited August 13, 2000).]

Comment

Hi all,

I just got a Gibraltar rack and find the crosstalk is pretty bad. Any more updates on what worked out best for rack dampening?

Comment

The packing popcorn definitely helps, and even quiets the vibration through the rack. The PD-9s and 7s are a little more quiet. More importantly, the cross has disappeared.

Comment

Out of interest, which model of Gibraltar rack are you guys using for the V-custom?

Andy
                              Andy
                              TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                              X