Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CY-15R experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CY-15R experiment

My apologies in advance if someone else has already thought of this.....

I recently purchased a CY-15R and was running into the same bell-triggering problems that have already been reported ad nauseam. I figured there had to be some way for the V-module to read the bell and bow as two separate triggers with their own independent triggering parameters, because simply plugging a stereo cable into the Ride jack just wasn't cutting it. I found myself in the same situation as everyone else: I had to beat the **** out of the bell to get it to fire cleanly. I messed around with various cord combinations (and by the way, using an insert cable doesn't work) with no luck. This is the "solution" I finally hit on (I did this on my TD-6, but obviously any V-module will do):

1. Run a stereo cable from the CY-15R's Bow/Bell jack into the Ride jack on the module.

2. Turn the volume of the bow-triggered sound all the way down (or assign the sound to OFF).

3. Turn the sensitivity of the ride jack trigger all the way up to 16.

4. Run a mono cable from the CY-15R's Bow/Edge jack into one of the module's dual pad (i.e. Aux) jacks.

5. Adjust the sensitivity of the bow trigger to your particular playing style.

Granted, this method takes up two jacks on your module, but it effectively makes the bell and bow on the CY-15R two completely independent zones and the cymbal as a whole much more playable and controllable.

I'm definitely happier with the V-ride now, but it still damn sure isn't worth $300.00!
    TD-30 / SPD-SX

Originally posted by Harlock:
    Any reason to use a mono cord?
    No other reason than I have absolutely no use for the edge trigger on the V-ride.....

TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

Hey
      Im going to try that way but I have some doubts.
      Whats an insert cable??
      Is it different from the suplied cables.
      Is it mono or stereo?
      And do i have to insert the second cable into a dual pad jack or can I insert it into the crash 2 jack??
      Thanks guys
      funkyjojo

[This message has been edited by funkyjojo (edited October 16, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Wade:
        Originally posted by Harlock:
        Any reason to use a mono cord?
        No other reason than I have absolutely no use for the edge trigger on the V-ride.....

Crash the ride man, it's the way to go!

Schmunk
        TD-8, Pintech pads, Pearl rack, Mackie SRM-450, Behringer 802 mixer and DSP1400 UltraMizer, Electric Sticks.

Comment

Hi Mick,

That seems like a really good idea. If you use two stereo cables then you don't lose the three way sensing. It may use two inputs but then so does the official Roland method so no loss. I guess you set both the Ride input and the Aux input to the V-Ride settings? Or have you found better results for the Bell with a different trigger type?

Hold on though, - I can't remember at the moment I'll RTFM when I get home - do the auxiliary inputs have positional sensitivity?

If they don't can we do it the other way around: Bell/Bow triggering the Aux input with the Bow sound turned off and sensitivity to max, Bow/Edge triggering the Ride input with positional sensitivity?

Cheers,
          Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by funkyjojo:
            Hey
            Im going to try that way but I have some doubts.
            Whats an insert cable??
            Is it different from the suplied cables.
            Is it mono or stereo?
            And do i have to insert the second cable into a dual pad jack or can I insert it into the crash 2 jack??
            Thanks guys
            funkyjojo

[This message has been edited by funkyjojo (edited October 16, 2001).]
            An insert cable (also known as a "send and return cable") is most commonly used to connect outboard processors to mixers by way of Aux Send and Return jacks. It is indeed different from the supplied cables. It has a "Y" configuration but it is not in fact a "Y" cable. The dual ends are mono (and usually marked "Tip" (left) and "Ring" (right)), and the single end is stereo. This type of cable is what is needed to connect two pads to one of the dual jacks that you will find on the V-drum modules.

To answer your second question, it really doesn't matter which jack you run the second cable into. It's always going to read as a "head" trigger anyway. I guess I was just detailing what I personally had done....

Hope this helps!
            TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

Working...
            X