Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When does sheet music come alive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When does sheet music come alive?

I bought another set of drums this week after a small vacation that started in 1985 I never learned to read music back in jr high and high school, so I am determined to do so now. I have been doing the basic rock beats on drumlessons.net. I understand the notation and how to count; however, I am having a hard time getting the "groove" from the sheet music. I try to interpret the pattern in my head and on the set before listening to the audio clip. Unfortunately, I am off most of the time. I can play the patterns once I hear them but I can’t see the rhythm on the sheet. Is this something that comes in time with experience and memorization or am I just slow and dumb? How do you learn to make the music come alive off the sheet?

These are the beats I am doing now. Some of the ones that gave me trouble "seeing" the rhythm are beats 13 and up.

http://www.drumlessons.net/rock-drum-beats-3/

Don't knock yourself out over it. Notation is just a guide to allow musicians to easily communicate. Its a bit like a road map it can tell you how to get to your destination but you still have to drive the car. The music can tell you what to play but feeling the groove is up to you, practice and experience is whats needed and a good teacher is a must...
    My Kit
    http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...2&d=1257067362

Comment

Yeah, once I hear it played I can follow it and play the groove. I now have a much greater appreciation and respect for studio drummers who can sit down with a sheet of music and play it out just from the notation.

Comment

They become so good its like reading a book, which is what you should be aiming for, and when you learn to read a book well you don't read it mechanical you naturally put expression into it. I done a 12 month music course many years ago which involved a lot of notation and I'm still not very good at it. But I don't practice reading much as I don't have a need for it, only for practicing and learning new stuff which is more reading then playing not sight reading...
        My Kit
        http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...2&d=1257067362

Comment

Becoming good at sightreading is a combination of native talent and practice. You learn to recognize patterns first, then the variations in the patterns. It has to be something you do without thinking, like reading a page of written words.

If you aren't a good sightreader, it does not mean you are slow and dumb. I know good sightreaders who haven't a lick of common sense. It's a talent some have in greater measure than others, it just may take you more practice to get good at it.

Comment

Originally posted by stickinthemud View Post
            Becoming good at sightreading is a combination of native talent and practice. You learn to recognize patterns first, then the variations in the patterns. It has to be something you do without thinking, like reading a page of written words.

If you aren't a good sightreader, it does not mean you are slow and dumb. I know good sightreaders who haven't a lick of common sense. It's a talent some have in greater measure than others, it just may take you more practice to get good at it.
            +1 - agreed

Not only that, we talk of independence with out feet and hands...its almost like reading music adds another independence element. Now we are going with all 4 limbs and adding our 'reading'. The complicated part is reading ahead a couple measures, to know what is coming up, yet playing in the 'here and now'. Wow, us drummers got screwed

Comment

Originally posted by M_C_M View Post
              Don't knock yourself out over it. Notation is just a guide to allow musicians to easily communicate. Its a bit like a road map it can tell you how to get to your destination but you still have to drive the car. The music can tell you what to play but feeling the groove is up to you, practice and experience is whats needed and a good teacher is a must...
              /thread

I completely agree.

Comment

Working...
              X