Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rhythm Scope vs Rhythm Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhythm Scope vs Rhythm Coach

Can anyone explain the differences between the Rhythm Scope on the TD9 and the rhythm coach on theTD3? Has anyone played with both? The coach seems to have more features.

Is the rhythm scope along with the metronome enough to learn timing and speed?

Thanks,

..since this question remains unanswered....

The TD-9's Scope or "Rhythm Scope" is designed to provide visual feedback of your timing in relation to the beat. It can be used to identify and improve timing inaccuracies , but is also valuable for other timing exercises. For example, if you wanted to work on "laying back" the snare, the Scope is a valuable (and easy to use) visual tool. In addition to the using Scope with the metronome, it can also be used along with any of the TD-9's internal songs.

The Coach or Rhythm Coach function on the TD-3 is fundamentally different. For timing, two exercises come to mind:

Time Check (tch) and Quiet Count (qCt).

Time Check shows a simple visual "gauge" if you are behind, ahead on on the beat in relation to the click or metronome. Quiet Count helps you develop and improve your "inner clock" by playing the click for a specified number of bars (1,2,4 or 8) immediately followed by the click being quiet (almost inaudible) for the same amount of bars and then repeats the cycle. This forces the player to count (concentrate) during the "quiet" bars until the click is audible again. Quiet Count also includes a variation where the click will sound for 3 bars followed by 1 bar of quiet (4 bar phrase) and a variation where the click will sound for 6 bars followed by 2 bars of quiet (8 bar phrase).

The TD-3's Rhythm Coach also features several exercises designed to help develop and improve speed and endurance (chops). Gradual Up/Down (Gud), Step Up/Down (Sud), and Speed Check (SPd). These are all metronome based exercises that involve the tempo of the metronome increasing and/or decreasing based on different factors - incrementally, over time (number of bars), or in relation to your playing accuracy.

Many (or variations) of these Rhythm Coach exercises are also found on the RMP-3, RMP-5, (the original RMP-1) and even the HandSonic 10.

I hope this is helpful!
    Last edited by Guest_User_DA; 06-06-08, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Thanks Drew that helps a lot.

To make a long story short as a beginner drummer and like so many others on this forum I was torn between the TD3 and TD9. I ordered the TD3 cancelled it and went with the TD9. My main concern is staying with the beat and from your post it sounds like the rhythm scope should be enough. My chops will come with practice.

The coach definitely seems to have more features than the scope but I just could not pass on the features of the TD9 (e.g., rim shot toms, cross sticking, double bass kit, USB, quick record).

Comment

my mate has a td3 and i have a 9, I'm fairly confident you'll be glad you made the choice you did!!

Comment

only fairly as you might have some bizarre circumstances i dont know of, I'm certainly glad I paid (well, owe) as many pounds as i could afford

Comment

I'm a new drummer and have the RMP-5 and the TD-9SX. I think you'll be very happy with the scope function on the TD-9 as I practice my rudiments and other 'timing' related exercises on the kit. It's a great kit and you won't miss what the TD-3 offers in additional 'training' features...
            "...regardless of what you play, the biggest thing is keeping the feel going ..." - Wes Montgomery

Comment

New TD-10 owner
              Is there anything like that on the TD-10

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                New TD-10 owner
                Nope, sorry.

Bruce

Comment

what about the td-6 module? does it have such a feature?
                  I took over a pre-owned td3 with td6 module.

Comment

Originally posted by irishblue View Post
                    what about the td-6 module? does it have such a feature?
                    I took over a pre-owned td3 with td6 module.
                    no, just backing tracks...one reason I upgraded my 6 to a 9...
                    TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
                    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
                    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Many (or variations) of these Rhythm Coach exercises are also found on the RMP-3, RMP-5, (the original RMP-1) and even the HandSonic 10.
                      and since this post... RMP-12 and TD-4.

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showpost...42&postcount=2

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                        New TD-10 owner
                        Suggestion: Check out the Roland/BOSS RMP-5 Rhythm Coach. I managed to get mine for about $100 on ebay.

I believe it is supposed to have more features than than the td3, although you still would not have the TD-9s scope. But it'll still give you what you need to improve your timing...
                        My kit:

Comment

Working...
                        X