Announcement

Collapse

Technique Posting Guidelines

PLAYING TECHNIQUE DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Yamaha BP80 Setup Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha BP80 Setup Tips

I purchaced a Yamaha BP80 dual pole trigger to round out my VPro set, and to finally utilize Aux 11 and Aux 12 inputs. For anyone considering the BP80, here are some tips learned from my experiance.

1) You need to buy a single 1/4" stereo to dual 1/4" mono splitter cable (about $8 at the music store).

2) I set both A & B output adjustmnets on the BP80 to maximum.

3) I have my TD-10 mounted on the left under the top bar, so the BP80 mounts perfectly on the left end post. This lines it up with the HiHat pad, right where I need it.

4) Unfortunately I got a lot of initial cross-talk and mis-triggering between Aux 11, Aux 12 and the HiHat. Tried 'tweeking' things, only to quickly realize that I had no idea what I was doing. So being the macho man that I am, I went and reread the TD-10 Advanced section of the manual. Hey, the manual is really useful when you read it!

Restored everything to original, and went about setting the Basic and Advanced setting correctly (for me at least).

Here's how I set up the BP80....

Hit <SETUP>
    Select <TRIG>
    Hit the Aux 11(Aux12)[HH] pad of choice.
    Select <BASIC>
    Sensitivity.....6
    Threshold.......4
    Select <ADVANCED>
    ScanTime........0.4
    ReTrigCancel....4
    MaskTime........8
    XtalkCancel.....80 HH....60
    MountType.......PadMount

Now the BP80 works great, and I'm having a blast assigning percussion sounds to the Aux 11/12 inputs. Adds a whole new dimension to the drums. And it's even fun adjusting pitch and decay.

Well I hope this helps someone who doesn't want to dig into the manual. As Tim Allen says..."Real men don't need instructions!"
    Driving a great song is better than driving a great car!!

http://mysite.verizon.net/landin82/

I just want to make sure I understand this. Are you using both aux 11 and 12 to utilize the dual trigger capability of one BP-80? If yes, am I right in assuming you would have to do this because it is a dual piezo?

Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Correct as stated. The BP80 is dual zoned, one channel to Aux 11, the other channel to Aux 12. It's been a real blast, i.e., being able to play hi/lo bongos right next to the hi hat.

Comment

Hi, can a "Y" adapter be used to get both inputs into one AUX jack? I only have one left!

Thanks!

Comment

Sorry, but no. I have tried just about everything. As much as I like the BP80, I don't like leaving the Aux11/12 rim inputs just sitting there unused. I will be eventually getting 2 used PD-7's so I can have use of all '4' triggers. But all in all the BP80 is a good deal. Plus I think the Roland pads interface better and produce a hotter signal than the Yamaha. I have my Aux11/12 volume cranked way up, and I still can't get a supper loud sound output like when I swap cables and trigger the same sound from a PD7/9 using the Aux11/12 jack. Go figure!

Comment

Until you get something better, have you adjusted your trigger curves to something like Loud2? There are a couple of curves which add a decent volume increase. You touched upon just about every trigger setting in your abouve post except curves.

When I use the VPro's at our Church, I always need to change the curve on my aux input to give it a boost. I'm using my headphones and PD-7 on their kit). I copied my TD trigger and kit settings to the Church TD but there seem to be several differences in the sounds. Their TD is about 6 months older than mine. Apparently there are small differences from one TD to another.
            Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

DrumTech has a Pole Pad which is similar to the BP-80. Mounting hardware is not included so it costs a bit more. The literature mentions it uses an FSR trigger. Anyone know if that makes it usable as a dual trigger on one TD-10 input? I had considered this as a solution before I decided on getting a PD-9 and PD-7 to fill out my aux inputs 11 & 12. Just curious.
              http://www.drumtech.com/products.html

Comment

Hi Boingo

The link you provided says it has Dual Input Jacks to use as a one or two zone instrument, so it sounds like it will take 2 jacks to use as two sounds...

Comment

Originally posted by Tully:
                  Hi Boingo

The link you provided says it has Dual Input Jacks to use as a one or two zone instrument, so it sounds like it will take 2 jacks to use as two sounds...
                  We're not talking the same thing here. My understanding of the reason the BP-80 takes two inputs is because the aux inputs on the TD-10 require pads with a combination of a piezo and FSR trigger. Some of the dual trigger devices like the BP-80 lack the FSR and therefore take two inputs to operate. I'm assuming the BP-80 is a dual piezo.

Since the PD pads have an FSR rim, they only take one input but provide two zones.

The DrumTech product I referred to mentions FSR in the ad. So I'm asking if anyone can confirm it works as a dual trigger on one aux TD-10 input.

Ok experts, did I flunk the trigger course or is my explanation on target? I used to think I understood it, but now I'm having doubts again.

Comment

Working...
                  X