Announcement

Collapse

Technique Posting Guidelines

PLAYING TECHNIQUE DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Less Weight, Quicker Set-Up/Tear-Down, Minimize Breakage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Less Weight, Quicker Set-Up/Tear-Down, Minimize Breakage

I have recently modified my VPro rack set-up in an effort to simplify and improve the VDrumming experiance. I have multiple degrees in Industrial Engineering and Ergonomics, so I'm always looking at ways of making things easier and cheaper! Bear with me!

The cymbal boom arms and clamps have been the weak link (IMHO) in the entire VPro. The clamps have broken on me twice (easily repaired with Liguid Metal). The set-up/tear down of the boom arms is a pain what with 6 moving parts (x 3) to contend with.

Well I finally eliminated 2 whole boom arm/clamp assemblies. I bought 2 Gibralter Rack Cymbal Boom Attachments (Part SC-RBA - under $20 each). These go over the ends of the two front vertical posts. I took the two crash boom/clamps off, and now just stick the one cymbal arm in the end post (you can use the whole boom if you want), tighten it down - pure perfection.

For my set-up, the PD-9 pads are at a perfect angle and reach for me. The kit looks less cluttered, and the chrome on chrome looks great against the blue and white. I shaved 5.5 pounds off the rack, saved about 2 minutes on set-up and tear down time each, and I have two extra clamps available in case the ride boom arm clamp fails (the left crash clamp was the one failing due to where it was positioned in the rack bag during transport).

I'm still not sure if I'll do the same for the ride boom arm. I think it needs to stay for the positioning flexibility. I may have to sub-contract out for a motion/time study analysis and stress calculations.

Hope this helps someone. Tom.
    Driving a great song is better than driving a great car!!

http://mysite.verizon.net/landin82/

Pictures?

Comment

Cool, where did you get this part? On-line or at a music store? Also, my top bar goes all the way to the top of the vertical posts.. Will I have to push it down some?

Chuck
      Denver, CO
      Vpro Drummer

Comment

Yeah, I'd love to see a picture of that, that sounds great.
        Where did you get those parts?
        I may do the same thing, thanks for the info.

BINARY

Comment

I did the same thimng to mine about 3 mo. ago.It works great! Igot a pearl rack,but the gibralter clamp works with any tubing 1 1/2".I actuall got 4.(1 for each vertical post)the other thing ,what about the horizontal tubes?put that puppy on and use that space there also.
          I got mine from drumworld in pitt,p.a. www.drumworld.com
          those were the cheapest ones i found,plus thier service is [email protected]
          Todd

Comment

You can get the Boom Attachment at any decent music store, or on-line for around $17. Got mine at ProSound Center in Bloomington, IL.

Yes I had to lower my top bar about 1 inch, worked out well.

Pictures - maybe later, I'm too busy having fun playing!!

Comment

I bought the SC-RBA and tried it,, hoping to just stick the cymbal arm in the hole like you claim. However the cymbal arm is to skinny and the part won't clamp down on it (When I get the new cymbals I think I can get a thicker Cymbal arm and it would work). Thus I will have to use the entire boom assembly or go back to the initial way.

Also - by doing this you lose alot of placement freedom -- Including the back and forth position.

Don't really know if it is worth it --
              The cymbal clamp assemblies do not weigh that much. So I don't see the weight advantage either..

Chuck
              Denver, CO
              Vpro Drummer

Comment

Originally posted by criewe:
                I bought the SC-RBA and tried it,, hoping to just stick the cymbal arm in the hole like you claim. However the cymbal arm is to skinny and the part won't clamp down on it.

Also - by doing this you lose alot of placement freedom -- Including the back and forth position.
                I've been able to clamp the skinny arm just fine. I lucked out on the placement, they are perfect for my setup. I was concerned at first, but the reach and angle work for me. Losing a bit of 'freedom' was worth the simplification. True it's not for everyone. Thanks for your feedback.

Comment

I know this is an old thread but here's some info.....

I was looking into Gibralter's SC-RBA adapter to fit a boom into the ends of my vertical rack tubes. If you own a a >12.7mm boom arm, like Gibralter's booms, then it'll hold fine in the SC-RBA, but brands like Tama's booms are too small.
                  Splat

Comment

You can see this set-up on Toms site. I looked at these pics a while ago and this mod looks so cool. If I get a couple of pads I would love to do this. I looked again at these pics last week and thats when I noticed the pad on the actual boom arm, pure genius. You just dont notice it at first and then all of a sudden your like, 'Hey, wait a minute, that shouldnt be there!!!'.

*Free TD-12 & TD-20 Kits*....*Free SPD-s Kits & Effects*
                    *Videos*......*Demos*......*Pictures*......*Documents*

Comment

Working...
                    X