Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long did it take you until you learned all the Rudiments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long did it take you until you learned all the Rudiments?

How long did it take you until you learned all the rudiments? I just got my set like 3 or so weeks ago maybe less. Yet I been practicing my ass off with FreeDrumLessons.com as well as a bunch other sites, YouTube whatever. Though my **** never sounds like what they play. So I want to know how long until you guys started playing drums to learn these techniques. This is biting me the ass and I think it is because I have a bad memory it might be screwing me. I feel like i have a.d.d when I play the drums. Any suggestions. It is not really learning the rudiments that gives me a huge problem like i understand it, but never sounds the same and when I try to move it around the kit like the videos do I find it almost impossible for me.
    Last edited by baz2; 05-22-08, 07:23 PM.

To get everything 100% just on the snare, 3 years being tutored professionally and practising 6 hours a day, five days a week.

Well thats what a military marching band drummer told me once.

Comment

Thats good to know being I may only know like 5 at the moment by heart. Though I loose focus a lot and just start going berserk on the drums when I get impatient.

Comment

Hey baz2,

You're making it too complex - there are only 2 rudiments:
        R & L .....everything else is just a bit of gilding on top of these.

Keep it simple: R or L and always in 1/1 time

Keep going berserk

Comment

Honestly, though Hercules sounds like he's making a joke, when you break it all down, he's right.
          I love it that you want to learn and that you want to get better. Don't feel like things have to happen right away and that you have to have it perfect. It takes a long time. Many of us played a snare for a couple years before we sat behind a set. Don't get yourself all bunched up thinking that you have to have all of these stickings memorized.
          Remember what some other users have told you...use a metronome. Practice fluidity and consistency. And don't push it to the point that you're frustrated. You can't expect yourself to be able rip out some tasty licks right away.
          Practice practice practice...
          R L R L R L R L R L R L ...
          R R L L R R L L R R L L ...
          R R R L L L R R R L L L ...
          R R R R L L L L R R R R ...
          R L L L L R R R R L L L ...
          and so on....
          Stick twirling - because you obviously have mastered all other aspects of drumming already, right?

Comment

I don't know if it's somethig to do with the hemispheres, but I started out in South Africa, and our first lesson was:
            L R L L R L R R. Now everyone seems to do it the other way around!
            . digitalDrummer
            Review index

Comment

I still haven't learned them all and probably never will master them all, but in regards to the drum set you don't really need them all. On Dave Weckls back to basics dvd he was saying he only focuses on a few of the more important ones like, singles, doubles, paradiddles, flams and they are all you really need to know. Remember start slow...
              My Kit
              http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...2&d=1257067362

Comment

Same here

Originally posted by baz2 View Post
                How long did it take you until you learned all the rudiments? I just got my set like 3 or so weeks ago maybe less. Yet I been practicing my ass off with FreeDrumLessons.com as well as a bunch other sites, YouTube whatever. Though my **** never sounds like what they play. So I want to know how long until you guys started playing drums to learn these techniques. This is biting me the ass and I think it is because I have a bad memory it might be screwing me. I feel like i have a.d.d when I play the drums. Any suggestions. It is not really learning the rudiments that gives me a huge problem like i understand it, but never sounds the same and when I try to move it around the kit like the videos do I find it almost impossible for me.
                Same here baz2, my memory is terrible so i did a shortlist of rudiments that may be useful around the kit as fills ...

Singles (can't do the fast finger thing at all)
                Double (ok)
                Single paradiddle (i'm slow)
                Double Paradiddle (ditto)
                Flam (ok)
                Six stroke roll (mmm)
                Single stroke 4 (ok - makes a good fill)
                Single stroke 7 (ok)
                Ratamacue (ok)
                Drag Ruff (ok)

I keep it shortlisted to these 10 for now

Then i have listed 12 songs to learn with backing tracks and tackle them slowly (been playing since last autumn)

Also daily i try and practise metrodrums warm up routine stick control (youtube)

Triplets - R L Bass

Slide on bass pedal to get 2 hits

Accents (light and shade)

That's it so far, but my memory stinks regarding remembering fills in songs like some kind of block ?

Good fun though, play more and get more fluidity, remember a lot of dudes are playing since aged 7 doing all the drum core stuff.
                Last edited by daveybabes; 05-23-08, 03:15 AM.
                WEBSITE - http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/
                YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbVB...?feature=guide
                FACEBOOK me at ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...83235555050736
                :eek: ...
                Showcase 1 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=253
                Showcase 2 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=354

Comment

hm let's see I started when I was 4..so not until 10 did I have a good command of most of them. George Lawrence Stone and Stick Control was an eye opener.

Especial playing a them as "melody" with just the left hand. Then switch it up to a foot or combination of the 2.

Practice slow, then build up. Good Luck!
                  TDW-20s Black Firmware 2.51: 3 extra CY12's, DW 9002's, SPD-S, PM-30, Mackie 802-VLZ3, Laptop, AudioKontrol 1, CueBase 4, Addictive Drums, Superior 2.0
                  VEX kits: Master Picks 1&2, Top 50 1&2, Exotics1, Professor Pack
                  Acoustics in storage: Eames Finetone shells, Gretsch diecast hoops 8,10,12,14,16,22. '66 Slingerland snare. Tama 'hardware, lots of Zildjians.

Comment

4?

You started at 4? wow!

I just started at 40 -
                    WEBSITE - http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/
                    YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbVB...?feature=guide
                    FACEBOOK me at ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...83235555050736
                    :eek: ...
                    Showcase 1 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=253
                    Showcase 2 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=354

Comment

Yes sir..my dad was drummer, and I got the gene I suppose.

Many programs through school, and private lessons after that.

6 Albums with 3 bands and some studio work. Hit almost all 50 states on the road.

Now I am 37, got a real job and haven't played out in 5 years. I just got the TD20 kit and a really loving being able to play whenever I want.

The drumless tracks I have really really make me happy!
                      TDW-20s Black Firmware 2.51: 3 extra CY12's, DW 9002's, SPD-S, PM-30, Mackie 802-VLZ3, Laptop, AudioKontrol 1, CueBase 4, Addictive Drums, Superior 2.0
                      VEX kits: Master Picks 1&2, Top 50 1&2, Exotics1, Professor Pack
                      Acoustics in storage: Eames Finetone shells, Gretsch diecast hoops 8,10,12,14,16,22. '66 Slingerland snare. Tama 'hardware, lots of Zildjians.

Comment

Haha, thanks for all the advice guys. I just been really trying I just want learn some patterns that sound good. So I been trying everything to try get them down. Bass control seems to be killing me I think also. Thanks ton for the help guys, I can bet I'll be asking for more help to stay on track again though, but I am trying.

Comment

As everyone else has already said, start out slow, practice a lot and gradually work your way up through the rudiments. However, one suggestion I would offer if you find that you're getting a bit bored with them is that you track down a few drum corps warmup exercises and give them a try. They're typically based on variations of rudiments and help to reinforce those skills, but you might find them a little more interesting to play repeatedly.
                          >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Rudiments and books

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to mention that I have been working with two very good books. One is called Rudimental Drumset Solos by Rob Leytham (put out by Mel Bay), and The Rudimental Cookbook by Edward Freytag (put out by Row-Loff Productions). The latter is a great book for learning rudimental snare drum solos. Both come with a CD. Anyone else ever worked through these books? It takes me forever to learn a solo, but to me it has been a learning experience.

Comment

Hey guys, another tip that I haven't heard from a teacher - it's more a "philosophical" approach......when you play drums you're somewhat like a boxer or a dancer - you need to "lead" with one limb.

One of the first things I learned (it may be just a natural tendency) was to "lead" with my KD foot - this provided me a solid anchor on the KD sound and allowed the ride (cymbal or HH) to maintain the "pace" and the snare to add the accents - everything else is added to that as you grow with experience, but you always end up back with one limb leading the race.....

Comment

Working...
                              X