Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Threshold setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threshold setting

Since not many people are posting tips here, I thought I'd do one...

How did I set my threshold adjustments? Why did I set the adjustments?

First, I noticed that during wild full tilt solos - cymbals I never hit would sound, or during some cymbal rolls, toms I never hit would sound, especially with rim hits - hmmm an obvious problem. How to solve it?

Well, I started whacking the rack itself with the sticks, and checked the brain for any trigger detects - sure enough - I got lots!! So if I hit the rack and got trig 5, for example - I would keep increasing the threshold for this tom till it stopped. Then I would hit the tom itself to see how sensitive it now was.

After running around in circles a few times - I now have a very acceptable setting for all the drums - with almost no false triggering, and good sensitivity.

This may be obvious to some people - but none the less I think it qualifys as a tip!

OK guys - your turn....

The 'crosstalk' parameter should be raised, rather than the threshold, to reduce stray triggers. Otherwise you lose some ability to play softer hits on a pad. Same logic, but first set the threshold for each pad based on your playing style (range of force on hits) so that your lighter hits register consistently. Then do the whacking around (rack, other pads) and raise the crosstalk to eliminate misfires.

Comment

The problem I was having was the false triggering of other drums, during normal playing. In other words - hitting the crash rim would sometimes sound the tom.

Since this is vibration conducted thru the rack between triggers - it's logical to hit the rack to test for it.

I'm surprised that there are no rubber mounts or something to prevent this conduction.

I didn't want to play with the crosstalk - since I often play several drums simultainiously.

AND I also tested each drum for its actual sensitivity, and if it wasn't good enough, I backtracked.

Now - I've moved the cymbal arms to the lower rack beam to see what that does.

Someone needs to invent a better rack, actually. And better clamps.

Acoustic drums are suspended in order to create lots of vibration - Edrums are the reverse... thay should be damped as much as possible.

But hey - I'm still learning every day!!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo:
        Someone needs to invent a better rack, actually. And better clamps.
        In addition to e-drumming, there are many, many fields and arenas which would benefit from the development of Anti-Gravity Technology. Think of it... with the development of the correct energy fields you wouldn't need a rack (eliminating crosstalk completly) not to mention you'd never again have a sore back from luging your drums into the club!

it's 4:30... I wanna go home.
        rus
        \oo/_ :mad: _\oo/

Comment

Working...
        X