Announcement

Collapse

Technique Posting Guidelines

PLAYING TECHNIQUE DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Expanding your inputs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expanding your inputs.

I've been using a TD-8 for about 3 months now, and have been working on ways that expand my inputs.

My old setup was an Alesis D-4 with a Kat TrapKat, a few Yamaha cymbal pads, a couple of S&S pads (which I've now changed the heads from real heads to mesh heads), and a couple of LP Spikes (that I've had to rebuild).

Once I got the TD-8, I started using the TrapKat as well as the old pads, along with some new ones. I've found that the TrapKat works well with the TD-8. You can assign any sound that is assigned to one of the drums triggered through the TD-8 to any of the pads on the TrapKat, if you want multiple locations for cymbals, an extra bass drum, etc. Another great trick is that you can assign any non-used rim sounds to pads (on the TrapKat, and have full independent editing capability. This lets you tap into several more sounds that normally go unused.

Those of you that have used other modules know that Roland made some compromises on their kits, to beef up other areas of the design. In other modules, each note on a midi keyboard is assignable to any sound in the module. You could have 80 tom sounds on one kit if you wanted (I don't know why you would). Roland only allows twenty something sounds to be assigned to each kit (I forgot the actual number). All other midi notes are assigned to 10 "percussion sets". While 2 of these are editable, there are some limits. In addition, kits tend to default back to one of the non user sets.

I also plan to bring my old D-4 into play as a trigger bay. This will allow me to use the 12 TD-8 trigger inputs, the 25 TrapKat pads and bass drum input, and 12 additional pads through the D-4. Unfortunately to do this nothing will work well with the standard General MIDI conventions. (Roland doesn't follow them very closely anyway. All of the Rim sounds are not per the General MIDI setup.)

What ways to the rest of you do to "expand" your input capability?

Originally posted by Dean:
    I got a 2nd brain and more pads. Your outfit sounds kool.

-Marc.

Comment

For expansion I use a Roland Octopad and 2 DrumKats. I'm curious how well your S&S works with a mesh head? I also have 2 S&S plastic headed 8" but diddn't think it was possible.

Comment

Re: Expanding your inputs.

Originally posted by Dean
        I've been using a TD-8 for about 3 months now, and have been working on ways that expand my inputs.

My old setup was an Alesis D-4 with a Kat TrapKat, a few Yamaha cymbal pads, a couple of S&S pads (which I've now changed the heads from real heads to mesh heads), and a couple of LP Spikes (that I've had to rebuild).

Once I got the TD-8, I started using the TrapKat as well as the old pads, along with some new ones. I've found that the TrapKat works well with the TD-8. You can assign any sound that is assigned to one of the drums triggered through the TD-8 to any of the pads on the TrapKat, if you want multiple locations for cymbals, an extra bass drum, etc. Another great trick is that you can assign any non-used rim sounds to pads (on the TrapKat, and have full independent editing capability. This lets you tap into several more sounds that normally go unused.

Those of you that have used other modules know that Roland made some compromises on their kits, to beef up other areas of the design. In other modules, each note on a midi keyboard is assignable to any sound in the module. You could have 80 tom sounds on one kit if you wanted (I don't know why you would). Roland only allows twenty something sounds to be assigned to each kit (I forgot the actual number). All other midi notes are assigned to 10 "percussion sets". While 2 of these are editable, there are some limits. In addition, kits tend to default back to one of the non user sets.

I also plan to bring my old D-4 into play as a trigger bay. This will allow me to use the 12 TD-8 trigger inputs, the 25 TrapKat pads and bass drum input, and 12 additional pads through the D-4. Unfortunately to do this nothing will work well with the standard General MIDI conventions. (Roland doesn't follow them very closely anyway. All of the Rim sounds are not per the General MIDI setup.)

I'M USING MY ALEESIS D-4 THROUGH THE "MIX IN" ON MY V-SESSION TD-10. I HAVE A ROLAND 4-ZONE TRIANGULAR PAD OVER MY HH.
        I COULD USE ALL 12 INPUT CHANNELS!

Comment

I bought TD-8 one year ago. Recently I've added 2 CY-12R/C, 1 CY-14C and 1 CY-12H.
          With 2 Y-cable, I plug kick and tom #3 in input 1 and tom#1 and #2 in input aux. Since these triggers don't have rimshot capabilities it works fine. I gain 3 stereo inputs to plug my old PD-7 in

I got :

TD-8 #1 = KD-120 & PD-80 (through Y-cable)
          TD-8 #2 = CY-12H
          TD-8 #3 = PD-80R
          TD-8 #4 = PD-7
          TD-8 #5 = PD-7
          TD-8 #6 = PD-7
          TD-8 #7 = CY-14C
          TD-8 #8 = CY-12R/C bow/hedge
          TD-8 #9 = CY-12R/C bell/bow
          TD-8 #10 = PD-80 & PD-80 (through Y-cable)

12 pads - 19 sounds ! The PD's are great to sound chimes, gongs and so on...

I plan to buy the TMC-6 to allow use of the full power of CY-12R/C (the bell/bow/hedge feature needs 2 stereo cables and is not recognized by TD-8 even patched ).

My plan :

TMC-6 #1 = CY-12R/C bell/bow
          TMC-6 #2 = CY-12R/C bow/hedge
          TMC-6 #3 = CY-12R/C bell/bow
          TMC-6 #4 = CY-12R/C bow/hedge
          TMC-6 #5 = CY-14C
          TMC-6 #6 = CY-14C (one more)
          TD-8 #2 = CY-12H
          TD-8 #3 = PD-80R
          TD-8 #4 = PD-7
          TD-8 #5 = PD-7
          TD-8 #6 = PD-7
          TD-8 #7 = PD-7
          TD-8 #8 = PD-7
          TD-8 #9 = CY-14C (two more)

18 pads - 30 sounds !

Pretty cool

what do you think ?

Comment

All other midi notes are assigned to 10 "percussion sets". While 2 of these are editable, there are some limits. In addition, kits tend to default back to one of the non user sets.

Those percussion sets belong to whatever pattern is selected, NOT the kit. However, I think you can select the percussion sets with a program change number.
            Quazi

Comment

Ooooops, sorry. Didn't notice the date of that post.
              Quazi

Comment

Originally posted by clochette

I got :

TD-8 #2 = CY-12H
                TD-8 #3 = PD-80R
                TD-8 #4 = PD-7
                TD-8 #5 = PD-7
                TD-8 #6 = PD-7
                TD-8 #7 = CY-14C
                TD-8 #8 = CY-12R/C bow/hedge
                TD-8 #9 = CY-12R/C bell/bow

12 pads - 19 sounds ! The PD's are great to sound chimes, gongs and so on...
                Wow!

i was wandering if i can do the same with my td6? How many stereo in's do i have? and wich one? I only have 1 zone toms so if i can take a Y and add a cymbal or two that would be greath! can i do that?

Azathoth
                ==========================
                V Club / pm3 / an extra kd7 / a pd80r snare / an extra cy6 / an extra pd8

Comment

Alas, not that many options on a TD-6 but you can get a lot!
                  Here's how I intend to use my inputs;

SNARE- snare (dual-piezo)
                  KICK- kick
                  TOM 1/AUX- two toms (Ycabled by a send-trhough-cable)
                  TOM 3/4 - two toms (Ycabled by a send-trhough-cable)
                  HIHAT- hihat (PD6)
                  TOM 2- 2 x CY6 (Ycabled by a splitter so they give the same sounds)
                  CRASH1- CY6
                  CRASH2-CY6
                  RIDE-CY15-R (only bow/bell)

(maybe the naming is wrong but hey....it's the inputs that count!)
                  DIY!!! www.mosphat.com/drumcas

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar

SNARE- snare (dual-piezo)
                    KICK- kick
                    TOM 1/AUX- two toms (Ycabled by a send-trhough-cable)
                    TOM 3/4 - two toms (Ycabled by a send-trhough-cable)
                    HIHAT- hihat (PD6)
                    TOM 2- 2 x CY6 (Ycabled by a splitter so they give the same sounds)
                    CRASH1- CY6
                    CRASH2-CY6
                    RIDE-CY15-R (only bow/bell)
                    Thanks...i'm not sure to follow so i'll go slower

In your toms in...your going to connect two tom with a splitter. will you have two different sound or the same sound at two different place?

will you have five CY in total? ...with two that sound the same? right?

Are all in's stereo? ...i mean...can i splitt every in?

Azathoth
                    ==========================
                    V Club / pm3 / an extra kd7 / a pd80r snare / an extra cy6 / an extra pd8

Comment

I'll go slower too!

There are two dual-piezo inputs on the TD-6. With an insertcable, 1 stereoplug to 2 monoplugs, you can attatch 2 toms both with their own sound.
                      I'm going to use 4 CY6. Two of them will be connected through a splitter, one steroplug to 2 stereoplugs, and have the same sounds (bow and rim!)
                      So 4 CY-6 with 6 different sounds.
                      4 toms with different sounds
                      1 snare with, if you use kit 5 for instance, 3 sounds
                      1 hihat, 1 sound. (but if you use a CY12HH you'll have 2!)
                      1 CY15R with 2 sounds.

That all sums up to maximum 17 different sounds from your TD6!

Hope this is a little clearer now?
                      DIY!!! www.mosphat.com/drumcas

Comment

Td6

Hey folks,

I have a TD6 (not TD6V) and I'm trying to add another PD7 pad so I can have a total of four "toms."

I was sold a LiveWire YPP-118 Stereo to 2 Mono splitter by Guitar Center. I plugged the splitter into the Tom3/4 and connected a cord from into each pad, but the TD6 doesn't recognize them as separate pads, so now I have two pads triggering the same sound.

I don't need them to each be dual zone or anything - just 2 different-sounding toms.

Is there a setting I need to change in the TD6?

If I have the wrong cord, fine...I'll search out the Roland brand. But please don't tell me that the fix for this sort of thing requires cutting the plug open and doing modifications.

Thanks in advance for suggestions...Kev

Comment

Td

As a folow-up, I followed some instructions from the Roland site about making sure I had the right pads selected for each input. Still no help - each one is triggering H07.

I DID notice that the lower tom sound would trigger quite randomly (H08). I wonder if I need to go into settings and tell the TD6 to only see the lower tom (H08)?

--Kev

Comment

I am a recent owner of a TD6-KW, & have been thinking about adding additional toms (since I rarely find myself using the 2nd rim triggers), so I would love to know if there is a way of resolving this issue too. I imagine it involve altering the settings in TD6 module?
                            cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Kevman
                              I have a TD6 (not TD6V) and I'm trying to add another PD7 pad so I can have a total of four "toms."

I was sold a LiveWire YPP-118 Stereo to 2 Mono splitter by Guitar Center. I plugged the splitter into the Tom3/4 and connected a cord from into each pad, but the TD6 doesn't recognize them as separate pads, so now I have two pads triggering the same sound.

I don't need them to each be dual zone or anything - just 2 different-sounding toms.

Is there a setting I need to change in the TD6?

If I have the wrong cord, fine...I'll search out the Roland brand. But please don't tell me that the fix for this sort of thing requires cutting the plug open and doing modifications.
                              The YPP-118 is not stereo to two mono, it's stereo to two stereo. The Hosa adapter which is equivalent in practice to a standard insert (send/return) cable, or Roland PCS-31, is the YPP-117.

Originally posted by finchy
                              I am a recent owner of a TD6-KW, & have been thinking about adding additional toms (since I rarely find myself using the 2nd rim triggers), so I would love to know if there is a way of resolving this issue too. I imagine it involve altering the settings in TD6 module?
                              For the blue TD-6, there is no module setting which needs to be changed (because there are no Tom2/Tom3 rims to be re-assigned as separate inputs). For the black TD-6V, you need to use SETUP/TRIG BASIC to change the input from "T2:R05" to "AUX:H06", or "T3:R07" to "T4:H08" (Page 70-71).

Bruce

Comment

Working...
                              X