Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hum & Buzz from the amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hum & Buzz from the amp

This will be a no-brainer to most of you, but for us slow types...
    I recently bought a KC-500. Fired it up, and to my horror, there was a noticeable buzz from the amp. I fiddled and adjusted but to no avail. I finally called Roland tech support, and they said it is just the nature of the beast. At the end of the conversation they mentioned trying a "grounding adapter" (that's a little plug that goes on the end of the amp power cord) and it works like a charm!!! The cost was 75 cents.

Pat

So could you explain what this little plug is?

What does it do?

How does it work?

What it looks like?

Anything?

Comment

Leo,

At the end of the power cord of the amp, you have 3 prong plug. This grounding adapter has 3 holes on one side and 2 prongs on the other end. You plug the 3 prongs on the amp power cord into the 3 holes of the grounding adapter and then plug it into to a wall outlet.
      Radio Shack sells them. The stock # is:
      61-2720
      Hope this helps!

Pat

Comment

As long as you dont use those metal sticks you should be ok... Also never twirl.....
        TD-10xp
        Hart Acupads & Cymbals
        (Gigapro Set)

Comment

What does it mean to "lift" the ground? Whem I purchased my VDrums, I also got a 100 watt keyboard amp to run it through. I noticed it has a switch on the front which I think is labeled ground lift (I'm on the road now so I can't look at it) and it has three settings - 0, +, and -. What does this mean and how would it be used?

Comment

Ok - I know what they are - they are illegal in Canada for safety reasons.

If you MUST use a ground lift device - you should make sure there is no voltage between any of the other equipment that you use. For example, a microphone caseing and your mixer. When you reach for the control knobs and your lips are on the mic - WAP!! Happened to my brother - burned his lips and his fingers.

All the equipment you use should be connected together in some way with the grounds. If you have 2 connections between some things, unfortunately, you can get buzz thru the ground loop. Its better to keep the AC grounds and cut a signal cable ground at one end. You can even buy cables of this type. I've even repaired hum loops by putting 15 ohm resistors in series with both the hot and ground connections, inside the plug. Its just enough resistance to destroy the ground loop, but not kill the signal. And it keeps the shock hazard away as well. People are about 100k ohms or so dry....

Grounding is a BIG subject, especially with noise. Some people think its in the realm of wizardry!!

Comment

Working...
            X