Announcement

Collapse

Technique Posting Guidelines

PLAYING TECHNIQUE DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

How much of. Difference is there in the playability and enjoyment of...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in the end the only answer to this question is what suits you.

i have two a-kits. one has a 10-inch snare and tom. the other a 14-inch snare, one 12 and one 14-inch tom.

i’m happy playing on 10-inch e-pads with a cy5 as a hi-hat and a 12-inch ride. i’m happy playing on the the dtx12 pads.

personally.

variation between my a-kits, and between my a-kits vs e-kits is ok with me. other people need 12-inch e-pads and a 16-18-inch e-ride to get a satisfactory playing experience.

it’s useful to get a range of perspectives but in the end it only matters whether the equipment you use gives you the playing experience you want or not, so listen to everyone and then do whatever makes you happy
    Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Scarlett 6i6 > imac; 2i4 >macbook || Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || DIY compact a-kit, Mapex Meridian, Zildjian Ks, some As and Sabians and ... || youtube

Comment

cool.. ..but the O.P. doesn't have a mirror reflection ..
      Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Most of the gear I have is 2 inches smaller than their acoustic counterparts, because that was the standard in edrums for a long time. It works for me. I know that acoustic sizes are all the rage now, but I wouldn't be able to fit any of that in my home studio. And the silly thing, to me, is that even a "full size" kick drum in that setup still uses a a regular, compact edrum kick tower. So much wasted space! Part of the attraction of edrums is their smaller footprint. I don't find that it hampers my playing style in any significant way. Key to that though is to make sure you set up your instrument distances as close to acoustics as possible. Tiny e-kit configurations (smushing everything into one square meter) are possible but that will not do you any favors. Pad size is mostly irrelevant though.
        Last edited by monospace; 09-16-20, 02:55 AM.
        Module: TD-9v2. Kick: KD-8, pedal: Iron Cobra with KAT Silent Strike beater. Hats: VH-10 with Tama Swivel hi-hat stand. Snare: PD-120. Toms: 3 x PD-80R. Crashes: CY-12RC, CY-14. Ride: CY-15R. Aux: BT-1.

Comment

Personally I think, if you are just playing in the house or a studio, size dont matter, but when gigging, you want your kit to look like a normal Akit.

Just my opinion guys.

Comment

He he here we go again
            Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Yea Dae sha vu guys. Its that worm hole again.

Comment

Originally posted by mkok View Post
                He he here we go again.
                Indeed! :-)

Replying to the thread in general, now. To those who say drum sizes doesn't matter, my experience is it depends on what you want to do.

If you play at home, just for fun, and are not aiming to hone technique to advanced levels and beyond, then sizes may not be as important. Another situation where sizes may be of lesser importance is capturing MIDI drum performances for further editing. Granted, you may want to do as little editing and manipulation as possible, but the end goal is not the live performance.

Those situations aside (and I'm sure there are other exceptions, too), if your goal is to hone drum technique over a variety of musical styles and to advanced levels for live performance, then drum sizes most certainly do matter. The reasons are many, some of which are outlined already, by myself and others, earlier in this thread.

Regarding footprint, the notion that e-drums take up less space than acoustic drums is misleading. For specialized setups (like a Kat Percussion controller), this may be true, but in general I find e-drums take up the same space as acoustic drums, and sometimes e-drums take up more space. Part of this is due to the human body, which requires certain dimensions for drumming. Other aspects are cymbals, modules, headphone amplifiers, racks, and stands, all which stick out from the kit and take up space. It's easy to think smaller e-drum components (such as a bass drum tower) shrink the footprint of the kit, but it's the entire bounding area that matters. When I measure the bounding areas of my four piece acoustic kit and four piece electronic kit, the spaces are pretty much identical.
                Last edited by TangTheHump; 09-16-20, 04:30 PM.

Comment

i’ve been lurking over on one of the digital piano (DP) forums for a few months now. it’s funny how they have all the same recurring debates as us.

slab (portable) pianos versus cabinets (the ‘real’ shell size / portability debates) - some people even want a grand-piano looking DP in their house. this argument sometimes blends with arguments about sounds and speakers and available space in the house - gigging pianos are exempt from this debate, unlike us

key actions and pivot length (the pad size / head type debates)

vst versus built in sounds

best headphones and speakers

latency

the digital-should-be-the-same-as-acoustic vs digital-is-just-something-similar-but-different debate

and the killer - the actual (physical) volume of keys when playing through headphones and how much that disturbs other people in the household (i kid you not). admittedly, i haven’t come across a tennis-ball riser thread there yet.

transferability from DPs to acoustic is also a recurring theme. you get some people saying the actions have to be very similar in order to develop correct / transferable technique. others say it doesn’t bother them and they get variability in whatever they sit down at and just adapt

learning a different language over there but it’s all very familiar

Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Scarlett 6i6 > imac; 2i4 >macbook || Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || DIY compact a-kit, Mapex Meridian, Zildjian Ks, some As and Sabians and ... || youtube

Comment

Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post

Indeed! :-) Regarding footprint, the notion that e-drums take up less space than acoustic drums is misleading. For specialized setups (like a Kat Percussion controller), this may be true, but in general I find e-drums take up the same space as acoustic drums, and sometimes e-drums take up more space. Part of this is due to the human body, which requires certain dimensions for drumming. Other aspects are cymbals, modules, headphone amplifiers, racks, and stands, all which stick out from the kit and take up space. It's easy to think smaller e-drum components (such as a bass drum tower) shrink the footprint of the kit, but it's the entire bounding area that matters. When I measure the bounding areas of my four piece acoustic kit and four piece electronic kit, the spaces are pretty much identical.
                    Hi Tang I cant get my head around what you are saying. I dont us a Kick drum, just my old KD8, I have two 10" mounted toms, a 12" Roland Snare and equiv 12" Floor tom. All the toms and cymbals are rack mounted, just the hihat is free standing, and that takes up approx a 4ft width.
                    My old Akit was set up on a 5ft square mat with the floor tom and much of the four cymbal stand feet outside of this area. Yea not rack mounted, but then, I would not rack mount an Akit. Even though it looks good lol. I like to feel the whole kit moving as you play, all part of the dynamics of playing, On my Ekit, I have twisted one of the rack feet round so its not flat on the floor, so the rack slightly sways sideways while I'm playing.
                    Yea I am a sad git.

Comment

Originally posted by John.b View Post
                      Hi Tang, I can't get my head around what you are saying (Ed: regarding kit footprints)... (snip)
                      Some context will help

I use an acoustic, four piece bop kit for many of my gigs, so this is what I have set up for practice. Drums are: 14 SD, 12 RT, 14 FT, and 18 BD. Cymbals are: 14 hats, 20 ride, and 22 ride. Sometimes I add a 16 or 18 inch crash.

For my e-drums, I duplicate the bop configuration as follows: 12 SD, 12 RT, 12 FT, and KD-9 BD. (Sometimes I swap in a KD-140 in place of the KD-9.) Cymbals are: VH-13 hats and three CY-15 rides. With the e-drums, I have the module sitting on a floor tom case. I hate it when the module gets in the way of sticking and/or in the way of sheet music, and I also prefer the module controls unobscured, so I move the module well to the side of the kit. Additionally, for the e-drums, I have a mixer on a small table, a headphone amplifier on the floor, and various wires and cable management paraphernalia.

When I compare the footprints of the two kits, both kits take up similar space. The acoustic drums have larger sizes, but the e-drums require additional, non-drum components, so it's kind of a wash. Essentially, the difference in space requirements between the two kits is moot.
                      Last edited by TangTheHump; 09-18-20, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X