Announcement

Collapse

Technique Posting Guidelines

PLAYING TECHNIQUE DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

"best Practices: setting up a TD-17 kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "best Practices: setting up a TD-17 kit

Returning to playing after 45 years (High School), and "much has changed since my Rogers Powertone"
    Have a TD-17 KV and many best practice questions:
    1. how to reduce the audible thump from the kick pedal (DW-2000) on the Roland supplied Trigger to avoid bugging wife.
    2. How to reduce/prevent double hits on the kick (technique, tension adjustments? )
    3. How to reduce the delay in the time between hitting the pad/cymbal and it being "received"
      1. As shown on the "Click" utility feature. May just be my brain, but not am showing a lag between when I think I hit and when it flashes
      2. in the Melodics tutorial software (USB connection)
      3. audible over headphones via bluetooth from Win10 laptop after USB from TD-17
    4. Have "old style" wired headphones coming with 1/4" plug to hear self, expecting there will be a latency difference in that vs Laptop?
    5. If I want to play along with other old guys who are on guitars, will eventually need a drum amp/monitor. What's the good last one to buy for playing in house/small venue?
    6. To record self playing along with music track, is SD card in TD-17 best solution?

DW kick beater has a flat side, right ? w double sided tape put a thin (0,5-1 cm) piece of soft foam on the beater
    (find the right foam to reduce kick thud noise, but still transfer impact) and increase trigger sensitivity a bit (if need)
    possibly the 'double triggering' /stutter is also gone after this.. if not ..increase mask time and/or retrigger cancel
    to where you still can play 32nds but a stutter is no longer registered.. (and be sure to 'not' play kick stutters) ..
    for recording.. also check audacity https://www.audacityteam.org/ can import wav/ mp3 for play along, and record on
    other track.. 'listening' back to own playing is better than a machine telling you how many % you are playing (just imo)
    Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Thanks for response, I increased the spring tension on pedal as a first cut, seems to help. If I still have problems will try you suggestion.

Comment

bluetooth headphones will increase the latency. I went through this also. Even if you think you are dead on with your hits in Melodics, it will show missed. Go direct line in and you'll see an amazing difference

Comment

Direct line in, from the TD-17 output jack to ??? I have the USB cable running to laptop at the moment. Or are you suggesting that the Laptop re-sending on bluetooth has latency such that the melodics audible output is lagging the on-screen scoring? I got my wired phones today, will experiment.

Comment

from your laptop... don't use bluetooth headphones. Plug a wired headset direct to your laptop audio jack. It's what worked best for me. Amazing the difference in accuracy and no more latency.

Comment

Thanks,
              I received my wired phones today and plugged into the TD-17 module, seems to be working better, have not fired up Melodics yet will see how that goes, update: worked well from phones out of the laptop. thanks !
              Last edited by SheldonHaynie; 05-31-20, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SheldonHaynie View Post
                Returning to playing after 45 years (High School), and "much has changed since my Rogers Powertone"
                Have a TD-17 KV and many best practice questions:
                1. how to reduce the audible thump from the kick pedal (DW-2000) on the Roland supplied Trigger to avoid bugging wife.
                2. How to reduce/prevent double hits on the kick (technique, tension adjustments? )
                3. How to reduce the delay in the time between hitting the pad/cymbal and it being "received"
                  1. As shown on the "Click" utility feature. May just be my brain, but not am showing a lag between when I think I hit and when it flashes
                  2. in the Melodics tutorial software (USB connection)
                  3. audible over headphones via bluetooth from Win10 laptop after USB from TD-17
                4. Have "old style" wired headphones coming with 1/4" plug to hear self, expecting there will be a latency difference in that vs Laptop?
                5. If I want to play along with other old guys who are on guitars, will eventually need a drum amp/monitor. What's the good last one to buy for playing in house/small venue?
                6. To record self playing along with music track, is SD card in TD-17 best solution?
                I tried to use to Bluetooth headphones with Melodics but as you’ve found out it has latency. I did what others have suggested and connected to the headphone output. No more latency. Melodics is really cool and I think its helpful.

Comment

Working...
                X