Announcement

Collapse

Technique Posting Guidelines

PLAYING TECHNIQUE DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Tuition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree that if local teachers are too far away to use Skype or similar to do a live lesson. Also agree that Drumeo has excellent skill building lessons.
    Ludwig Accent Combo 5 piece kit | UFO Drums ebridges, 3 ply mesh heads and rim protectors | Yamaha PCY135 on Ludwig stand with DIY hall effect sensor | Yamaha PCY155 ride | DIY Pintech 2 zone crashes with Goedrums piezo's - Myrk membranes| MegaDrum 32 input | eDrumin | Cantabile VST host | Superior Drummer 2 and Jamstix kits | Alto TS115a monitors

Comment

Just to be polite, provide feedback and respond to all the good advice that has been offered I thought I would let you know that I have booked a block of 4 lessons with a professional drummer/teacher to back up my other learning resources. The lessons involve a significant journey but I am excited at the prospect and looking forward to getting feedback on my technique (or more likely lack of). It will be good for my confidence to get an early assessment to avoid/correct bad habits so many thanks to the voices out there that have encouraged me down this route. Happy days.

Comment

Thanks for letting us know. I think that's a good decision. Nothing will be better than one on one in the same place. After you establish that relationship maybe Skype with a cam would work. I would think the drum instructor might be interested in getting that going if he hasn't yet. An $80 logitech 922 mounted on a tripod and a $150 40" Vizio (or whatever brand in that price range) inch TV mounted on a Pyle TV stand (https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Portable.../dp/B01IINGWZC) plus free Skype works great.
        Ludwig Accent Combo 5 piece kit | UFO Drums ebridges, 3 ply mesh heads and rim protectors | Yamaha PCY135 on Ludwig stand with DIY hall effect sensor | Yamaha PCY155 ride | DIY Pintech 2 zone crashes with Goedrums piezo's - Myrk membranes| MegaDrum 32 input | eDrumin | Cantabile VST host | Superior Drummer 2 and Jamstix kits | Alto TS115a monitors

Comment

Originally posted by Ocean Rover View Post
          Just to be polite, provide feedback and respond to all the good advice that has been offered I thought I would let you know that I have booked a block of 4 lessons with a professional drummer/teacher to back up my other learning resources. The lessons involve a significant journey but I am excited at the prospect and looking forward to getting feedback on my technique (or more likely lack of). It will be good for my confidence to get an early assessment to avoid/correct bad habits so many thanks to the voices out there that have encouraged me down this route. Happy days.
          excellent- thanks for filling us in and good luck with the lessons in addition to the other resources. it would be very interesting to hear how valuable you find the lessons in combo with everything else
          E-kits: Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Interfaces: Scarlett 6i6, 2i4 || Computers: imac, macbook || Software: Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Monitors: Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian || Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, some As, Sabians ...

Comment

Originally posted by winterson View Post
            For what its worth with Roland DT-1 software you can load midi tracks from guitarpro files into it

pros
            - can slow/speed up/down songs as you like
            - have the backing track to play along to (though in midi format)
            - will measure your accuracy

cons
            -tracks are in midi format
            -if the person who made the tab didn't know their but from a hole in the ground it might be inaccurate. But people submit better versions of tabs if they feel the originals are inaccurate or you can edit them yourself in guitarpro

can't comment on the options you mentioned, don't know what they are.
            I have the DT-1 software. Would you mind uploading some of your "working" midi files that I can use? I have been working on my site reading which the melodics is useless for. If you have any 70s-90s rock, classic rock, top-40 would be fantastic but anything is better than nothing.

Comment

I haven't used it in a while. I guess I could download some stuff from ultimate guitar and export it in gpro. anything in particular you want?
              purchased Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, 2x hart e-cymbals, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, PCY-130, CY-12R, an L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Originally posted by winterson View Post
                I haven't used it in a while. I guess I could download some stuff from ultimate guitar and export it in gpro. anything in particular you want?
                I thought you had some files already converted. I have never imported any files into the program, so I was wanting to check out a couple. I don't want to put you out as your probably busy. If I bought something like Groove Monkey drum midi files, would those work? I learn best by being able to hear the beat along with the sheet music. I can play most stuff, but I still struggle with sight reading.
                Last edited by csnow; 02-02-20, 08:19 AM.

Comment

sight reading .. have you tried this prg ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_uGD7tyzhc&t=1m16s
                  goes up to 32nd notes with automatic rest notation (as supposed to be notated) in monophonic.. (free version)

Comment

This is a good app. It would be perfect if there was the option to sync with a song.

The former jammit, currently crammit, is the best I can think for now, but with a limited amount of songs (more than 2000 though) and it looks like that for now there is no way to add new songs due to the fact that they don't know the source code or something like this to produce the new song on the specific format.
                    ​​

Ronaldo B.

Comment

Before doing a single tap on a practice pad you need to watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDJKdyZEz0Y

I wasted 2 years of practice by not learning this. Once I learned this I progressed 100 times faster.

Comment

Originally posted by csnow View Post
                        I thought you had some files already converted. I have never imported any files into the program, so I was wanting to check out a couple. I don't want to put you out as your probably busy. If I bought something like Groove Monkey drum midi files, would those work? I learn best by being able to hear the beat along with the sheet music. I can play most stuff, but I still struggle with sight reading.
                        Oh I do have some files already converted and it doesn't take long amyway, I just know Amon amarth may not be everybody's cup of tea and figured you'd want something you like to listen to lol
                        purchased Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, 2x hart e-cymbals, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, PCY-130, CY-12R, an L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Here's a video of someone else who imported when the levee breaks and is playing along to it https://youtu.be/9lncp1BL6R4

Comment

Feedback from my first and second ever lessons: This will not be of interest to experienced drummers so apologies for that- but possibly of interest to other newbies considering lessons. Ok - so I got lessons organised- my remote location gave me very limited options. Single lessons were not available so had to book a flexible block of four.....

My instructor assessed where I was after my 2 months of doing my own thing. He looked carefully at my matched grip and single stroke technique. Got me to play 1/4 and 1/8 notes and basic rock beats in 4/4. Gave me basic lessons in developing those techniques further. My grip and single stroke technique is good apparently (for a beginner) with no obvious issues- apart from not raising my sticks to a uniform height above the snare etc. There is no quick fix to my weaker/slower left hand- it just needs practice, practice and more practice. It was good to get feedback on my grip and basic technique- I now know that I am doing the basics correctly and just need to put in the practice effort to improve- this has been good for my confidence to know that at least I have the basics down with no bad habits. I sat at an acoustic kit for the first time- this was amazing in terms of the sound produced and the feel -but wow- it was so loud (even with earplugs!)! ! The kit geometry was obviously very different to my own basic Drum kit- I struggled with this initially. I had an hours session and went away with a number of exercises to practice.

2nd Lesson: I had practiced the basic beats hard and had made noticeable progress. We moved onto an introduction for triplets, flams and drags plus further work for single and double stroke technique - plus paradiddle. I have more practice material for the rudiments. The instructor told me I had made significant single stroke improvement in the week between lessons. The instructor also told me to relax, set realistic goals and stop being too self-critical.

Conclusions: Positives: Good feedback ref. my grip and basic technique. Nice experience of playing an acoustic kit for the first time. Nice to see techniques demonstrated first hand. I have 2 lessons remaining to fit in when mutually beneficial- I'm gonna take a few weeks to practice before going back to try and get my monies worth from each hour. The drum teacher is familiar with autism- he has several autistic players taking lessons- obviously this was a big bonus for me A one hour lesson on an acoustic kit is plenty for me- my ability to concentrate for a longer spell of learning new material would not work. I'm glad I didn't take a two hour slot.

Negatives: 34 per hour lesson is a lot of money (to me at least). My fuel costs 25 for the return journey for each lesson- total expenditure is therefore gonna be 236. I didn't learn anything from my first lesson- I had covered all the material/techniques and some, during my self-teaching from on-line materials. Not sure jumping on an off an acoustic kit for occasional lessons is going to help me that much on my TD1-DMK kit. Yes the techniques are the same but the differences in feel and differing kit geometry are massive.

Very happy to have had my grip and basic technique assessed. This has been massive for my confidence- at least now I know I'm rubbish because I'm a beginner and not because I'm using incorrect technique. Realise I need to practice rudiments and stick control for a good while yet before trying to get a head of myself- this is especially true for my weaker hand. It may be beneficial for me to try and get alternative future lessons with an instructor who has an an e-drum kit. ( But having said that I could get horribly attached to playing an acoustic kit .

In summary- I agree with all the experienced drummers on here that say beginners should get basic lessons even if just to ensure the way you hold the sticks is correct. Hopefully you can get lessons more readily than I can and it doesn't cost the earth Happy days.

Comment

That is a great feedback. Thanks for sharing.
                              I hope everything goes well.

The instructor also told me to relax, set realistic goals and stop being too self-critical.
                              I was told the same. The teacher said to me once that drummers need to enjoy while practicing and be relaxed as this is intended to be fun. Obviously it is hard when you want to learn as we create subconscious expectations, which makes us to take this more serious sometimes.

In terms of getting used to the differences between an acoustic and the electronic one (physical positions), you can eventually go for an a2e project. That's what I did.
                              Ronaldo B.

Comment

I have always maintained that sight reading and rudiments will always be needed if you intend to make drumming your lively hood.
                                If you just want to play in a semi-pro band at the weekends and enjoy yourself, what you need is a good feel and be able to stay in time.
                                Oh yea, and have enough stamina to last 3 hours with a 1/2 hr break.

Comment

Working...
                                X