Announcement

Collapse

Technique Posting Guidelines

PLAYING TECHNIQUE DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

If you cannot post, please visit our Forum Talk forum for answers to more frequently asked questions.

Is your post missing? Please read forum descriptions & guidelines within before posting in the wrong forum.

See more
See less

From Motorcycles to Drums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wise words. I could never sing and play drums, absolutely no chance, no way what's so ever.

Comment

Two things completely threw me when I tried them as a drummer:

1) smoking pot.

Not much of a pot smoker - I have to be drunk first or I get paranoid and start cleaning the house. Whilst hearing sirens coming for me. But I tried it once at a practice on the only occasion we all tried it.* The guitar guys could not remember what song we were playing. They forgot the chord progressions after about 15 seconds. These guys were professionals in real life, managers - one fellow was the State Tax Commissioner. 15 seconds.

Me, I got lost in the time-space continuum. Evidently, the universe was transporting me constantly back and forth through time every few seconds for about 1/2 second at a time.I began moving like a spasmodic octopus, lashing out at the drums with someone else's hands and arms. Imagine really bad lag on a module that also was not just lag but but also anti-lag - the note would play before I wanted it to. It was the only time I wanted to fall off the throne just to end the torture, but could not manage even that. ;>D

Practice ended rather early that night. How the reggae guys do this astounds me.

2) Singing while playing.

Just adding some harmonies - and there were at least two or three other people singing harmony - caused me to stop playing drums the very first time I tried it. I literally looked down at my hands and feet - it shocked me. By the end of practice I could do it and actually enjoyed it. But I gotta say - I tried singing lead once. That was a lot harder, but an enjoyable challenge for me. For others - hearing my voice - ..... not so nice.

Try it again, John! It's good practice at assigning automatic action to your limbs, like using your high-hat without thinking, except it is all your limbs, not just one. You can even do simple fills - you have to pre-think it a few seconds before, and just listen to yourself doing it, instead of thinking of it as you are doing it. If that makes any sense.

* Now THAT was funny, as we were auditioning a new bass player. ( He actually became our bass player, after I assured him this was a one-time thing and a complete disaster never to be repeated)
      Last edited by gingerbaker; 03-14-20, 09:08 PM.
      Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

I've been riding for long time. I've been drumming longer than riding, actually. I sing while playing, too, though I'd rather not. You can do it John. Do it.
        Last edited by Splat_drums; 03-18-20, 05:53 PM.
        Splat

Comment

Well thanks for the encouragement guys. If I keep the snare and kick simple and straight forward its not to bad, but trouble is, that's not the way I play.
          It is not natural for me to play it straight. I am always looking for the off-beat if you know what I mean, and that screws me for singing.

Comment

Singing and playing the drums is very hard. It's another skill altogether, actually. Wearing a headset mic definitely helps. Having a regular stand mounted mic hanging in front of you takes space away from you. You also need to remember to try not breathing into the mic when not singing. Practice playing without singing and the mic. Then practice with mic and singing.
            Splat

Comment

Cheers Splat, back in the day I did try the singing thing but there were no headsets back then and having my hihat quite high meant the mic coming in over my left shoulder and that was a stretch. To uncomfortable for me to proceed with the idea.

Comment

No headsets? The headset was invented in 1883.

Amazon was selling them in 1905.

Ok Boomer - you are old. Ancient. Prehistoric, baby, prehistoric.

Luckily for me, I am 23 years old. Permanently. In my head.
                Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Originally posted by gingerbaker View Post
                  No headsets? The headset was invented in 1883.

Amazon was selling them in 1905.

Ok Boomer - you are old. Ancient. Prehistoric, baby, prehistoric.

Luckily for me, I am 23 years old. Permanently. In my head.

And a true legend in your own mind!
                  "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Working...
                  X