How does your practice look like?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does your practice look like?

I got About 90 Minutes of time, 5 times a week. Which, considering I got a Job and a Family, is a lot.

I Always choose 2 Main Topics to work on. 1 Topic is not 1 Beat or 1 Fill, but something like 1 Page of Beats, or 3 different Fills. I like the process of practicing and improving, but I also have no real Goals except playing the drums to actual Songs I like. That means, if one Day I do not want to practice but just jam, I do that.

So usually I do
    5-10 Minutes of Warm Up (simple, slow beats and fills around the kit
    15 Minutes for Topic 1
    15 Minutes for Topic 2
    10 Minutes of Hand Technique
    10 Minutes Foot Technique

After that I take a short break and start working on a new song or maintaining Songs I already can Play.

My Main takeaway is this: I am really not gifted, but I have to say it is jaw dropping how much you can learn when you work on a Topic for 15 Minutes FOCUSED 5 times a week. Beats and Fills go from "barely being able to Play it without a click" to being able to Play it at decent Speed while thinking About the Shopping list for next day within a week or two. Technique Stuff takes longer.

Do you guys practice structured, sticking to a schedule and practice plan, or do you just "work on something" and then "Play something" ?

Roland TD11 Module, Pearl Forum, Sonor Snare, Drumtec Design Mesh, 2Box and Roland Triggers, Roland Cym., GoEDrum HiHat Ctl with Yamaha PCY135. Triggering AD2 and SSD5.

What is this "practice" of which you speak?
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Loads o' synth modules. & some ukes

Comment

to practice (sth.) [Am.] [train, exercise to acquire a skill]

Roland TD11 Module, Pearl Forum, Sonor Snare, Drumtec Design Mesh, 2Box and Roland Triggers, Roland Cym., GoEDrum HiHat Ctl with Yamaha PCY135. Triggering AD2 and SSD5.

Comment

I didn't really practice for years (I'm 57) but since my son has been taking his grades and showing me thinks like Dream Theatre I have started again. My main aim has been speed just so I can keep up with him!!! I watch a lot of drumeo but only use what I think is useful to me. I also and give myself goals. It's great having someone push you and that's just what my son does. I also get to push him as well as still things I can do he can't.
        Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Iíve been using Mike Johnstonís (of mikeslessons.com) 4 Stage Practice Method for a few years and it really helps me focus my practice. 668459E9-73A7-464B-ADA2-5B2E099D407B.pngF7C53BC5-12F2-4703-A56B-00304EE98D75.png94F749CF-ECC3-44E9-AB2D-175AA4AC58FA.png

Comment

I really only play for my own amusement so my routine is simple:

1) Sit down on throne
            2) Place beer in stable location
            3) Pick up sticks
            4) Play "stuff" until beer is empty (or my dog runs away with a dropped stick)
            5) Repeat as necessary
            Pearl MIMIC Pro, TD50DP, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded, SD3, Presonus Quantum 2

Comment

Originally posted by molson View Post

1) Sit down on throne
              3) Pick up sticks
              5) Repeat as necessary
              Touche`

Comment

molson described me to a t (or tea, or tee, or whatever else). Beyond that, a few times a year, I record a video of the situation and post it.
                My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

Originally posted by molson View Post

1) Sit down on throne
                  3) Pick up sticks
                  5) Repeat as necessary
                  very valid approach.

But I made the deadly mistake of recording myself recently. And how shall I say it gently... I sound like ****. And while I am not ambitious, I would prefer not to sound crappy.

Comment

This is very interesting, thanks.

For me, I use 'drum practice breaks' throughout the day to get me out of sitting at a computer (I work from home). I like to have a long term goal - currently it is to work on double bass drum control, which I find helps hugely with hi-hat control also. Regular short routines are for snare technique. I always use a metronome and I find it helps to have warmed up with some physical exercise first - just 10 minutes or so. All this takes place on a spare set of Roland pads but not connected to a module.

I find that I also need to spend time practicing on my full kit - it is after all your instrument - but sadly that is hard to find time to do, with it often being left in rehearsal rooms. Particularly for complex rhythms to get the correct feel and sound balance in the real World.

I often wonder if guitarists and keyboard players practice as much as drummers do
                    TD-50 module, Jobeky Prestige Custom shells, SPD-SX, Paiste Signature Dark Energy cymbals, DW 6000 hardware, Allen & Heath mixer, Fohhn Xperience III PA, Fohhn XT-33 active speaker drum monitor

Comment

time/feel - - technique(s) - - rudiments/phrasing - - dynamics (accents/ghostnotes) - - coordination - - speed - - musicality
                      these words stare at me from the walls (on A4 on several places) reminding me i need to work on that stuff
                      and get it balanced out.. ..for once and for all..
                      Last edited by Ericdrumz; 06-01-19, 04:17 AM.
                      | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Since i don't get to practice much because of neighbours and my graveyard work schedule i usually just throw on an album i like and drum along. I also hand drum on everything constantly when i'm away from the kit.

Comment

Currently, I'm working through Benny Greb's book "The Language of Drumming." One of my focus goals is more control and dexterity with the feet, so I do the "Time Letters" with each foot...
                          also working out of Joel Rothmans "The Complete Rock Drummer" and play some of the early pages while cycling through the Rhythm Alphabet/Time letters with my left foot on Hi-Hat/bass drum.
                          This takes me a couple of hours into the practice session each day before I lose my mind!!! I also play "Diddles" with my feet (letters A-D typically) to have some find and relax my noodle.
                          I also play rolls (5 through 9-stroke) on the snare then work out substitutions with my feet (R foot for slower tempos or 16ths and double bass for faster tempos or 32nds), to round out the sessions . I do the rolls for another 1-2-hours.

Something new for me, in addition to keeping a goal sheet, I also starting a written journal of the practice sessions to see what I'm really doing. It will help me be honest with how/what I'm really practicing and then help me avoid problem areas like being distracted with the TV (thinking I'm getting a practice pad session done ... NOT!!! - multi-tasking is a myth).
                          Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
                          Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

Working...
                          X