I'm a drummer now. a really BAD drummer, but still

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a drummer now. a really BAD drummer, but still

Figured I'd stop saying "I'm not really a drummer" in every post.

I sat down and went

boom boom boom boom

on the kick.

Then ticka-ticka-ticka-ticka on the high hat.

Then I did both of those at once. Wow!

Then I went

(rest)-whack-(rest)-whack on the snare.

Holy smokes I can now lay down a groove suitable for 80% of rock songs.

Then I tried to do something else and it all fell apart. But hey ya gotta start somewhere and I've been doing it for 5 or 10 minutes a day for several days in a row.

It's not very easy. Not sure about all the drummer jokes out there. Probably just jealousy.

Keep at it. It can only get better. Nothing like drums for pure physical energy. Great stress buster too.
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Hang in there, keep at it, don't get frustrated at the plateaus, set realistic expectations & goals, and never forget to have fun!
      Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
      Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

I played for about 15 minutes over a 6/8 guitar loop I'd recorded. Fun! I think I can finally get some drum parts that match the guitar grooves this way. Impossible or at least very difficult using loops or standard MIDI beats. I also have a much better intuitive sense of where to put fills playing along with the tune even if they are really simple at the moment.

Comment

Keep it up. Contrary to public (and bass playerís) belief, drummers can count beyond 4. Stay in the pocket and donít worry about fancy fills. Fills can be as simple as a cymbal hit. Have fun!
          Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

This experience is really eye opening for me. I wasn't really even planning on starting to try to play the drums, but:

a) I had an old Ion kit laying around, which in spite of being non-MIDI, works OK. Then I got a used DDTI trigger interface and it actually works OK with those pads! I upgraded to a dual-zone Alesis mesh snare and getting a real kick trigger rather than the cheap switch footpedal that came with the Ion. I got 4 more pads for about $10 each and next I am probably going to make some DIY cymbal triggers. Hi-hat will be last, but honestly the current arrangement gives me open, closed, and pedal close so it's actually OK for the time being. Total investment so far is about $400 but I think I'm a step up from a low end Alesis kit. My biggest complaints are 1) kick pedal keeps slipping away 2) using a hard rubber pad for hi hat makes your hand hurt after awhile - I can see the need for something with more "give".

b) I have tunes I've written on guitar and no end of frustration (years and years) trying to get suitable drum parts installed on those (since I always start with guitar, that's where the "feel" originates)

c) I realize that simple drum parts are totally acceptable

d) I'd rather spend an hour playing something in than 15 minutes trying to mouse it in or edit MIDI or use a drum machine or audition 10,000,000 loops. Whoever thought 5,000 canned rhythm loops was a great thing must never have tried to actually use them.
            Last edited by Digital Larry; 04-27-19, 08:59 AM.

Comment

We were all bad drummers once mate. You just have to keep plugging away at it and you never stop learning. If you do its probably because they are burying you. Also, and just my opinion, your not a drummer till you can cut it full time in a band. Other than that, you just play drums.

Comment

I am bad too. But I can Play a Hand ful of Songs and I love doing that.

Only matters if you like doing it, and like the process of getting better. If you`re doing it simply to get to a certain Point, you will, most likely, never arrive. Gotta love the journey, then the worst Thing that happen is you had a good time.
                Roland TD11 Module, Pearl Forum, Sonor Snare, Drumtec Design Mesh, 2Box and Roland Triggers, Roland Cym., GoEDrum HiHat Ctl with Yamaha PCY135. Triggering AD2 and SSD5.

Comment

Taking even one drum lesson is a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Howstamychi View Post
                    Taking even one drum lesson is a good idea.
                    Plus one on taking lessons. It is a rewarding experience for me. I donít know how to interpret good bad or great. Iíll never be great but Iíll always keep trying.
                    As long as youíre enjoying playing, keep doing it.
                    Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

You don't need to be great to enjoy playing drums but being good helps.

Comment

Working...
                      X