Announcement

Collapse

Technique Posting Guidelines

PLAYING TECHNIQUE DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

If you cannot post, please visit our Forum Talk forum for answers to more frequently asked questions.

Is your post missing? Please read forum descriptions & guidelines within before posting in the wrong forum.

See more
See less

Static exercises for left?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This problem is very common. Here is a technical explanation:

Comment

Go slow and make sure you practice rudiments leading with both hands:

Paradiddles, double paradiddles, six stroke rolls, flam triplets.

Go VERY slow. Play to a metronome. Focus on how you are holding your stick with your left hand. Look at how your right hand holds it and mimic that: how turned over is your wrist? Where does the stick sit in your fingers? How open is your hand and where do your fingers hang to? How wide are your elbows?

This is how I solved the same problem. It's frustrating and uncomfortable at first and you will feel like you're going nowhere but keep at it and you will see improvement.
      Roland TD-50 Digital Pack, Mapex V shells + UFO eBridge triggers.

Comment

Originally posted by unsaltedmd5 View Post
        Go slow and make sure you practice rudiments leading with both hands:

Paradiddles, double paradiddles, six stroke rolls, flam triplets.

Go VERY slow. Play to a metronome. Focus on how you are holding your stick with your left hand. Look at how your right hand holds it and mimic that: how turned over is your wrist? Where does the stick sit in your fingers? How open is your hand and where do your fingers hang to? How wide are your elbows?

This is how I solved the same problem. It's frustrating and uncomfortable at first and you will feel like you're going nowhere but keep at it and you will see improvement.
        I think saying ”go slow” is bad advice. It depends. It’s partially accurate but incomplete.

The more correct advice is ”play the fast tempo technique slowly”. If you practice slow but don’t understand the movement involved when playing fast you can practice slow for months and improve 10 percent while the person next to you will improve 70 percent in 30 minutes practicing the right way.

For instance I practiced a somewhat complicated beat slowly and could play it clean at a slow to medium tempo but playing it fast was impossible even after practicing it for weeks.

The mistake I did was I bounced my body to the beat but that bounce became physically impossible at faster speeds. So what I did was practicing it slowly but bounced in half time of what I was previously doing and I could play the beat very fast after an hour of practice.

Another example is for instance practicing single strokes slowly. A novice would start slow playing down strokes. You can practice that forever but you will never progress. It’s physically impossible to do that fast. What you do is practice all strokes as single strokes and you will do more in an hour than what you did in months practicing only down strokes because free strokes will translate to playing fast.
        Last edited by frankzappa; 04-06-20, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X