Static exercises for left?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Static exercises for left?

Hello! Well I am not much of a forum usHello! Well I am not much of a forum user but I'm really out of desperation. Since four months ago I started improving my right hand with a lot of exercise wich gave me big payoff (that "Stick is part of your body" feel), the left stayed stuck at the start, if not worsened. I underline that I trained both hand with very hard work, coming from a sort of self-invented french grip wich was awful at least. As I tryied to get serious in May, I engaged a teacher who spitted on my technique and made me come back to basics, this time with German. Got this Summer training as previously said and right hand feels now like Heaven, because of his advice. I can describe It like this:

. Right keeps his finger very steady in the Stick, without any sort of pain or fatigue
    .I feel the fulcrum perfectly between index and thumb, very solid and sensitive. The index points downwords and doesnt slip away, thumb Is adeherent the stick and doesnt slip too
    . I have perfect control at any speed and I manage to use finger rebound precisely

But the left, well It seems like It has zero margine of improving and just cant grab the stick. It's like It just hangs there, like the puppets in that game you have to catch them with a robot. It slips from the position even in slowest Rolls. Index doesnt point down, but lays on his back / "hip" leaving big space from the middle. And there's no way to correct it even practicing like Hell. Indeed I cant get the right position neither grabbing It and stop. There's no use in doin even the slowest Rolls coz I cant get the right position by the start, and I dont want to learn bad position like did in past. So I dont Need exercises like playing octaves one hand, coz It Be like weightlifting without knowing how to arch your back in the process. Those are things You dont learn by repetitions of lifting, but before, then comes the real hard work. So the things are two:

.I dont have any potential in my left hand and no training can put me on the right way, for pretty the same reason people with some natural handicap cant, for example, walk since they're born and there's no training they cant do for they are just stuck there on they're wheelchair. So if someone told me to keep practicing, It would be like telling a guy on a wheelchair: keep walking and one day you will run. But he cant even walk..

2.There is some exercise that i dont know and can save my left. Still I dont know how could It be as I cant reach a decent position even being static. Help me please on this! My teacher says I dont have to worry but how can I do his much more complicated exercises with spastic left hand??

I want to clear that this question is big different from any other where people ask how to strenghten left. I'm asking how to grab left same way as right. It's about statics, not dynamics. Help me please!!er but I'm really out of desperation. Since four months ago I started improving my right hand with a lot of exercise wich gave me big payoff (that "Stick is part of your body" feel), the left stayed stuck at the start, if not worsened. I underline that I trained both hand with very hard work, coming from a sort of self-invented french grip wich was awful at least. As I tryied to get serious in May, I engaged a teacher who spitted on my technique and made me come back to basics, this time with German. Got this Summer training as previously said and right hand feels now like Heaven, because of his advice. I can describe It like this:

. Right keeps his finger very steady in the Stick, without any sort of pain or fatigue
    .I feel the fulcrum perfectly between index and thumb, very solid and sensitive. The index points downwords and doesnt slip away, thumb Is adeherent the stick and doesnt slip too
    . I have perfect control at any speed and I manage to use finger rebound precisely

But the left, well It seems like It has zero margine of improving and just cant grab the stick. It's like It just hangs there, like the puppets in that game you have to catch them with a robot. It slips from the position even in slowest Rolls. Index doesnt point down, but lays on his back / "hip" leaving big space from the middle. And there's no way to correct it even practicing like Hell. Indeed I cant get the right position neither grabbing It and stop. There's no use in doin even the slowest Rolls coz I cant get the right position by the start, and I dont want to learn bad position like did in past. So I dont Need exercises like playing octaves one hand, coz It Be like weightlifting without knowing how to arch your back in the process. Those are things You dont learn by repetitions of lifting, but before, then comes the real hard work. So the things are two:

.I dont have any potential in my left hand and no training can put me on the right way, for pretty the same reason people with some natural handicap cant, for example, walk since they're born and there's no training they cant do for they are just stuck there on they're wheelchair. So if someone told me to keep practicing, It would be like telling a guy on a wheelchair: keep walking and one day you will run. But he cant even walk..

2.There is some exercise that i dont know and can save my left. Still I dont know how could It be as I cant reach a decent position even being static. Help me please on this! My teacher says I dont have to worry but how can I do his much more complicated exercises with spastic left hand??

I want to clear that this question is big different from any other where people ask how to strenghten left. I'm asking how to grab left same way as right. It's about statics, not dynamics. Help me please!!

OK, can you describe a bit more the left hand problem? Your post was a bit confusing.
    Do you lack strength, dexterity or both?
    Cheers, Antonio.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Sorry about the trouble youíre have with your left hand. I feel your pain. I lost my left index finger in 1972 and didnít play drums for many years. When I started playing again, I realized what a handicap I have. My teacher thought I should try traditional grip but I broke my left wrist in 2007 and canít seem to get comfortable with traditional grip. My left hand grip is definitely different from my right and my left hand is definitely weaker than my right. The stick moves around in my hand as well but I have just adapted. My teacher says as long as I play without pain, then I just have to work with what I have.
      I do strength exercises and that helps.
      Maybe traditional grip could work for you.
      Good luck with your efforts to solve your grip.
      Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Yea same for me. I have always had a grip problem on both hands due to finger numbness. I have always had it right back to the time I was gigging 2, 3 times a week and its still the same now, thirty years on. I have just learnt to be a able to retrieve the stick position while playing. Don't ask me how though.

I have tried all sorts of wrap on grips, coated sticks etc but one of the best things I have tried is called Gorilla Snot. A green tree resin you smear on the sticks and which sticks to your fingers without hindering the movement. Its a bit messy once you finish playing though. Don't go touching your lady till its all washed off.
        Last edited by John.b; 02-07-19, 06:08 PM.

Comment

You could try gig grips: http://www.giggrips.com/

These allow you to relax your hands while never dropping the sticks.

Comment

Gig grips, are they like the rubber figure of 8, stick through one hole and thumb or index finger through the other. I have tried those but found that when playing, the stick action was diagonal, not straight up and down. I must admit though, that if it was the choice between that and not playing then Gig Grips it would be mate. No question.

Comment

I am aware of the gig grips but I have resisted trying them out since I want to get my hands stronger.
              Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Grasso only made one post at 09-08-18 and was never seen since.. ..but hold on.. ..if he practiced his left hand for Ī 20 minutes each day..
                (separately) that would have been 5 months of building/ developing his wrist, fingers and lower arm muscles (and memory) and he would
                have a better left hand by now..
                ps. on the point of 'is an index finger fulcrum all important' ? well, there are many drummers who use a middle finger fulcrum, or play with a
                stretched out index finger (so are actually not really using it..) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUpE_fTUA8A
                Last edited by Ericdrumz; 02-10-19, 03:11 PM.

Comment

An exercise I use to do to strengthen my left hand was RLLRLLRLLRLLRRLRLLRRLRLLRLLRLLRLLRLLRRLRLLRRLRLL and just keep it going, getting faster or just keeping it a constant speed, for as long as I could keep it up.

Comment

good one ..triplets .. ..marching drummers also use a shifting accent pattern (with one hand) ..one'd 'have' to play the exercises in 3 ways :
                    1- fromout the wrist .. no lower arm movement, only initiating the stroke from wrist motion.. (and accents)
                    2- from the fingers .. no lower arm movement, only slight wrist movement..
                    3- 'full' moeller arm/ wrist motion.. lower arm movement and wrist movement 'whipping' motion (for accents .. check moeller technique)
                    8th notes to 16th notes : L L L L LLLL L L L L LLLL : | L L L L LLLLLLLL L L L L LLLLLLLL : |
                    shifting accents (capital is accent, lowercase is soft note) L l L l llll L l L l LLLL : | l L l L llll l L l L LLLL : | L l L l L l L l l L l L l L l L : |
                    shifting accents in '2' s : ll LL ll LL ll LL ll LL LL ll LL ll LL ll LL ll / lL lL lL lL / Ll Ll Ll Ll : |
                    shifting accents in '4' s : Llll Llll Llll Llll / lLll lLll lLll lLll / llLl llLl llLl llLl / lllL lllL lllL lllL : |
                    triplet accents : lll LLL lll LLL lll LLL / Lll Lll Lll Lll / lLl lLl lLl lLl / llL llL llL llL / lLl LlL lLl LlL : | ... with metronome 1/4 pulse
                    these exercises are very simple and can be done while watching tv, youtube, etc.. one doesn't have to think during them.. just put the motions in..
                    but they should be done on a low rebound surface.. (could be done on ones thigh even..or mesh with a folded towel on it, to reduce bounce..)
                    if one can increase the speed over time, this would be good, but the goal is practicing 'grip', 'hitting' in different ways and switching dynamics
                    (accents) in a short time span ... this would strengthen grip/ control and endurance of left hand, wrist and fingers ..
                    there is no 'static' way to improve muscles.. only with motions ..
                    Last edited by Ericdrumz; 02-11-19, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Yea Eric that is definitely the right way to do it but for me personally, I had to have the right hand involved to bounce off if you know what I mean. Anyway, the two phrases that I combined doing this exercise did come into use quite a bit when I was playing as well. So practice as well. Especially as you say, putting the accents in on either hand

Keep the faith brother.

Comment

Working...
                      X