Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Materials to start, self learner

Hello,

I recentely got my e-drum and now Im all into learning how to play. I want advise as to know if Im follong right path. I know some of you would recommend some personal lessons with a drum teacher but so far I prefer to do self learn approach.

1) I acquired:
    Jojo Mayer - Secret Weapons - To pratice and learn hand and foot technics
    Tommy Igoe - Groove Essentials - To learn some grooves to play along

2) I am using also metronome so I can learn how to play without losing the tempo

So Im basically following above 1 and 2 topics, I would like to know:
    1) What do you recommend for me to learn how to read the drums music?
    2) Do you think Im following right approach? Would you change something?

Thank you for the advises.

Regards!

I have been using drumeo lessons. I started with the free content, but ended up subscribing as I was finding it such a helpful resource. However there is so much free stuff on their site you can get a long way for free.

Comment

You can find all types of lessons on YouTube, everything from beats, fills, rudiments and more. Just do a search, you'll most likely find whatever you're looking for.
      Roland TD-25KV, Extra Cymbal, VEX RECORDS, Drum-tec real feel heads. DW 9002 and DW 9500, Vater 5A and Vater Mike Johnston Signature Sticks, Roland RH-300V headphones..... 20 years of playing.... I still suck........

Comment

Get Stick Control For Snare Drum and 1001 Drum Grooves Also plus one on Drumeo.
        Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

To help with basic reading and developing your hands via the self-taught method, I would highly recommend the following book: Buddy Rich's Modern Interpretation of Snare Drum Rudiments. For about $20 you can get a great system to help you understand the basics... you can also spend about $15 more and get the version with DVD's and that may give you an extra push. You can also search the web and find the book on Scribed and view it, but I would strongly recommend making the purchase for the title.

Link to book: https://www.amazon.com/Buddy-Richs-M...Drum+Rudiments

Link to book/DVD: https://www.amazon.com/Buddy-Richs-M...iments+with+CD

Another great resource is Benny Greb's The Language of Drumming. I think this is an incredible source of workout material to drive independence and fluency. The DVD's actually came out first , then the book and combo pack. I would recommend the combo pack as the book is a great tool to keep yourself organized and to measure progress.
          Link to Language of Drumming: https://www.amazon.com/Benny-Greb-La...guage+of+Music
          Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
          Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

Thank you all for the resources you provided, I will check them and give you some feedback. Today I was checking the Benny Grebs one and I didnt find it very useful so far.. maybe Im in a lower level still. I get the beats combinations transformed into letters and that it somehow can help in creating sequences of them. But them he inmedaitely starts playing them very fast and counting just "Chip" for the whole bar instead of 1, 2, 3, 4.. maybe he smoked something in Germany when he was filming it...

Comment

You might want to also check out some books by Joel Rothman, he's written a lot of books with plenty of them gear towards the drummer just starting out, intermediate and even the advanced drummer. I've got the following books: Rudiments Around The Drums (Revised Edition); Rolls, Rolls, Rolls (Revised Edition); Teaching Rhythm; and the hardcover book, The Compleat Rock Drummer. I like his content as it's not too difficult to understand, there are plenty of challenges, and will serve the self-guided drummer well.
              Here's a link to Joel's site with his books: http://www.joelrothman.com/books.html

Benny is actually using the word "chid" as a pulse, and is not actually directing a numerical counting system per se, He feels that vocalizing the "chid" is very important to prevent shifting the downbeat or changing the tempo. I think it helps you get out of the "math" mode and push you more towards a musical mode, especially when you move towards the "independence words" that are in the later part of the book, in which case you would substitute polysyllabic words in place of numeric counting.

Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
              Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

Originally posted by Estonio View Post
                Hello,

I recentely got my e-drum and now Im all into learning how to play. I want advise as to know if Im follong right path. I know some of you would recommend some personal lessons with a drum teacher but so far I prefer to do self learn approach.
                +1 on Drumeo. Also recommend Tommy Igoe's Great Hands for a Lifetime.

TD-25KV, Mapex Horizon Blue Sparkle A2E w/Triggera InTriggs.
                Yamaha DXR15, MG10. Senn 280HD.

Comment

A couple of other good online lesson resources if you're willing to fork over some $:

Adam Tuminaro (Orlando Drummer)
                  Mike Johnston (Mike's Lessons)
                  Louie Palmer (Play Better Drums)
                  Pearl MIMIC Pro, Sonor A2E Conversion, ATV Cymbals and Snare

Comment

Thanks again, Im getting a good aresenal. So far Im enjoying with the Jojo Mayer - for hands techniques and with Drumeo lessons for beginners videos. Its only a week since I got the kit, happy with the results so far... I need to organize myself in order to use the best material for my level in the right order

Comment

Originally posted by Estonio View Post
                      Thanks again, Im getting a good aresenal. So far Im enjoying with the Jojo Mayer - for hands techniques and with Drumeo lessons for beginners videos. Its only a week since I got the kit, happy with the results so far... I need to organize myself in order to use the best material for my level in the right order
                      It's anecdotal, I know, but when I started I bought so much stuff (books, DVDs, memberships, etc). Soon I had so much stuff it was overwhelming. From day to day I didn't know what to work on. Too many choices caused incapacitation.

Eventually (years later) I sold it all and just focused on having fun. My skills don't represent my 10 years of playing experience but I don't care. It was too much pressure when all I really wanted to do was have fun.

If I had to give one piece of advice it would be to set whatever goals you want but don't forget to have fun.
                      TD-25KV, Mapex Horizon Blue Sparkle A2E w/Triggera InTriggs.
                      Yamaha DXR15, MG10. Senn 280HD.

Comment

practice rudiments or coordination for 20 minutes.. right before going to sleep.. your body 'remembers' what it did last..
                        your muscle memory and mind will pick it up faster ..

Comment

Originally posted by jimorlando View Post
                          Get Stick Control For Snare Drum and 1001 Drum Grooves Also plus one on Drumeo.
                          Definitely get Stick Control for Snare Drum by George Lawrence Stone. My goal is to get through the entire book before I die, I've had it forever and I'm not even close.
                          Yamaha DTX502 module, mapex piccolo snare, 10" and 12" vintage Tama Superstar toms, 16" no name blue sparkle floor tom (from my first kit in 1979 resurrected from the attic) Triggera Intriggs on snare and two mounted toms, Roland RT-10 on floor tom, two Kriggs, Yamaha RH135, pcy135, and pcy155

Comment

Working...
                          X