Top Ten Rudiments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Ten Rudiments

Here are the top ten rudiments I use in my day to day playing.

You can change the accents, subdivisions, add flams, etc, and these could keep a person busy for years and years without working on the other 30.

I'm not saying don't learn the others, but for new students I teach these first and it changes their playing a ton.

https://youtu.be/Ljja2mbeLfY

Looks nice, only took a quick look at the moment (at work). I have a great one laying around at home somewhere too, on which I should start working. It's just rlrr lrll, but... You always play a bass drum on 1 & 3, and a hi-hat with foot on 2 & 4. You start playing the paradiddles as 8'th notes, easy, right?

But then, you start playing the paradiddles as triplets, then as sixteenth's, then as sixtuplets, then as 32nds. When done, get back to sextuplets, sixteenth's, triplets, 8ths. Good luck!

Too easy? Start adding accents, reversing the paradiddles,...

Stijn
    Last edited by 'lectric drumma; 01-17-18, 05:50 AM.
    'lectric drumma
    Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

YES. This is the kindof exercise I have been getting into lately. Taking something simple and making it very advanced... This is my year of paradiddles. I honestly think you can spend a year on them and still be overloaded with things to do... Now take the accents, reversals etc, and start displacing them within your exercise (which i am excited to try) Displace by a 1/4 note, half, maybe a 16th,,, how about a sextuplet... with the accents and reversals .. and THEN move it around the kit. hahah..

Sorry I'm getting excited. I feel like my drumming is about to get weird over the next year which I am OK with. I"ll pre apologize to my guitar players to have to find the one though

Comment

love rudiments.. and i think inverted double strokes are kindof underrated.. some drummers have a weak double stroke roll, (or can only do a 'good one' at speed)
        if you practice inverted doubles (also slow), it will help with the 'snap' required for good doubles.. so every rudiment with a double (also paradiddles) will benefit ..
        ghostnotes too .. crazy stuff to practice would be 'the rudimental ritual' or the 'drori exercise'.. ..only a couple of guys can actually play that ..

Comment

Yep, rudiments are fun! Scottyp, I think you can spend a lot more than a year on them . I think there are some great books available as well to play them around the kit too. Hehe, a small idea, just for the fun of it... when you're playing your paradiddles, why not playing a note between the doubles? Like Rlr(l)r Lrl(r)l. Of course, your normal paradiddle stays 8th's, or whatever you're playing them. Have fun!
          'lectric drumma
          Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

Oh, I can spend a lifetime on this.. I just meant 2018 - Doubles and diddles. I'll maintain the other stuff with practice. But I want those ones to be my main focus haha.

The better I get, the more I realize I don't know. And as soon as I figure something out it opens up a world that would take years to learn. I could be playing in triplets, but doing inverted diddles and accenting every 7th note. I could then start displacing that.. Or playing a 3 over 4 pulse on the left foot. I would have to spend a TON of time getting that one idea tight. Then use every rudiment i know, move the accents, displacements, uggh.. I miss just trying to play fast and in 4/4 with single strokes all day. ahahah jk

Comment

Excellent- thank you for making this video and PDF! I can definitely see how these can help me with my chops, as an aspiring drummer. Much appreciated!
              ATV aD5, ATV Snare, Roland V-Drums, ATV & Roland Cymbals, Gibson Les Pauls & Marshall Amps

Comment

Thanks, I enjoyed the video. Iíve been working in the stick control book for a few years now. Still working on the fingers and getting good doubles but I play pretty slow.
                Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Working...
                X