Slowing down songs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slowing down songs?

Well have the drums 2 weeks now. And I'll be honest I'm already starting to get annoyed. It was fun at first but now not so much. I've played bass for years and listen to a song and can usually pick it up. I can't for the life of me on drums. Esp fills and off beats etc. Is there anyway to slow down a song incorporated with my td9.... I'll be honest I'm having mixed emotions on this purchase and wondering if I should have stuck with bass and these are songs I've listened to a million times I don't get it and help would be appreciated.

Are you talking about the built-in tunes on the module? Can't you adjust the tempo like the metronome feature?

If you're talking about just playing along to tunes or slowing them down to figure them out then I would say check out the speed (Play Speed setting) feature on the Windows Media player.

There's software that can help you called the Amazing Slow Downer, here's a link to it on CNET: http://download.cnet.com/Amazing-Slo...-10076514.html

Also look to YouTube for some drum isolation tracks which will focus only on the drums (and they too have a speed control feature for the video playback). Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtgxe_ientE Note: look for the "Settings" feature and you can slow things down to 1/2 or 1/4 time.
    Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
    Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

Hi,

I suggest to take it slow, with low goals, and step by step, week by week. Quarters, eight's, sixteenths, triplets, one by one, very slow bpm, medium bpm, higher bpm. Try simple songs first.

Originally posted by Rockstarbass1 View Post
      It was fun at first but now not so much. I've played bass for years and listen to a song and can usually pick it up. I can't for the life of me on drums. Esp fills and off beats etc.
      I don't want to compare instruments and required skill to play it. Let's state: bass and drums are different. You operate them in different ways, giving room to both extraordinary features and very unique mis-takes. So fills and off-beats on drums usually aren't amongst the beginners master pieces. (I.e. if you practice hand-to-hand RLRL, off-beating (-L-L, or KLKL, where "-" means "pause", and K means "knee") becomes more easy, and timely.)

To illustrate let's assume you manage to play along to a song with a constant beat on one pad, say on the snare or on a cymbal. If you do a fill, you "simply" spread the same hits or beats just across other pads. Now, here's the problem: stretch your arm, and you change its tonus. Change the tonus and you change the beating frequency of your arm and / or sticks slightly, i.e.: you can hear it, you can see it. And wham: the fill sounds very unpleasent... So, drumming is very much about body and tonus and mind control, in various postures, at different physical and mental conditions and so on. You hear it also on drums: Something's wrong today which worked yesterday ...

Yes, and you can hear from my drummings, when I let it go (fluidly), and when I spent a thought ... (I mean: you hear, when exactly that happened ; -)

Is there anyway to slow down a song incorporated with my td9....
      Well, getting all the drummers facets, bells and whistles can be challenging. Just think of bass and kick playing at very similar frequencies: who plays what?

For me it worked to play along to a song with very simple patterns in the beginning, say a rock beat on quarter or eigth notes (HH all, Kick 1 + 3, Snare 2 + 4). First, it's easy to notice, my tempo is right. Second, it's easy to notice, if at least some parts are close to this pattern - and which aren't. Home-in on the different parts. Celebrate, once you sound a bit like the drummer in that song.

Seasoned drummers make choices all the time, why they play what they play. Sometimes it's related to the music ("oh man, don't kill that fine wine with your noise"), the band ("ah, my signal pattern to wake up ..."), sometimes it's related to the drummers preference ("I put this nice little drums right next to my reliable hand" or "see, I have so many drums to play on - loser") and so on. May be, it's just the endless amount of practicing which pays off - and drives a drummer novice crazy, at least ; -)

I'll be honest I'm having mixed emotions on this purchase and wondering if I should have stuck with bass and these are songs I've listened to a million times I don't get it and help would be appreciated.
      Good point: I think you have to find out, if drums are for you - or you are for drums. Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers) once described it this way: "You don't chose drumming - drumming choses you." I think there's some truth and less mystics in it ; -)

So, wishing you happy music ; -)

Best, Michael
      td-30 user ;-)

Comment

Good info Michael!

RSB1 - don't be so hard on yourself either... I don't think I could pick up the bass and in two weeks be jamming along with the top players and pro bands on record!
        So that is about managing your expectations. Another thing I forgot to mention was the over abundance of free drum lesson content available on YouTube, in addition to the subscription content.
        For one, check out Drumeo ( https://www.drumeo.com/ ), they have a ton of free stuff to whet your appetite and the pay stuff is quite good - ranging from novice to expert content... lesson are not a bad idea and certainly won't hut but will speed your progress.
        Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
        Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

On the TD9 click the 'Song' button, F1 for Info and then scroll to the tempo and change to suit. Simples.

MOTM
          TD9KX2, Pearl and Gibraltar Hardware, CY8. Naturals VEX.

Comment

Working...
          X