Review, Benny Greb, "The Art & Science of Groove" (DVD), *****

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review, Benny Greb, "The Art & Science of Groove" (DVD), *****

We drummers love our instrument: Drumming is great, drumming is exciting.

Sometimes we have a good day: next day we wonder, when the groove is gone. Sometimes our drums sound great to us - and awful to our band. Sometimes we know what we want, but struggle to make our drums reply.

What has Benny Greb to offer on these subjects? What are my take-aways after my first round of listening to this 3+ hours of material?

Musical Drumming: After running some fruitless websearches and talking about this subject to my teacher he made me aware of Benny's latest DVD. Yes, that's what I'm after, making my drumming sound (even) more musical.

5 Dimensions: Without spoiling Benny encourages to become aware of time, sound, feel, mind and body. Like in mathematics one can't skip any of them to groove as needed ... adding more may not be necessary.

Benny robot: In some scenes he wears a robot costume to visualize the difference between precise drumming as a metronom and muscial drumming. And yes, even a metronom can start sounding musically. And no, I shouldn't time my drumming at random.

Excercises: In almost any chapter Benny encourages to try the concept he just talked about. He says: "Take the reportoir you have, which you are confident in, and try my concept on it." So, basically I can start where I am today and groove forward.

Frank: A joyful, obese bass-guitarist, playing the same 1 bar baseline over and over again (thanks, Frank), just to give Benny the chance to demonstrate, how both together groove differently under the taught concept. Drums can make music shine.

Effects on me: So far I tried may be 2 or 3 exercises ... but I recognize, with the 5 concepts unconciously in mind now, I drum differently, more the way I like. E.g. how many times do I recognize now, that I'm holding my breath during a drum part (body says: "oh, I'm gona die ... so hurry up, man ..."). Or, after sketching my next rhythm on the kit, I now use ghosted 16th-notes and place accents to match my rhytmic idea: helps me much to choose appropriate timing (musical robot, see above).

Suitable for E-drums? Yes, I think so. When that's your instrument at hand, use it and apply Bennys 5 concepts. It works. But I must admit: I more and more fall in love with my tiny A-kit now.

Required drum experience: As I can start, where I am today, I even could benefit if all I can do is a rock beat on quarter notes. However, I think one should be familiar with 16th-notes, perhaps triplets too, to get most out of this DVD ... and to understand some suggestions.

Practical hint: When listening the first time and you are as impatient as I can be, take some note, where to find each exercise. Will save you time next time.

Groove on ; -)

Best, Michael

ISBN: 4-013438-098507
    Language: English (video), German (synch)

Buy, e.g. at: http://bennygreb.de/?st_project=the-...ence-of-groove

5 Dimensions: http://drummerszone.media/news/2014/...2014030342.jpg
    Benny robot: http://bennygreb.de/wp-content/uploa...eenshot_27.jpg
    Frank & Benny: http://www.0daydown.com/wp-content/u.../00377479.jpeg
    Last edited by MS-SPO; 09-24-16, 06:47 AM.
    td-30 user ;-)

Great review Michael. I was thinking about getting that title but was a bit worried about the website... I wish it was available on Amazon, but sadly it's not.

Have you checked out "Benny Greb - The Language of Drumming" yet? I have the book and DVD and think it is an incredible little system - I sure wish I had something like this at hand when I was first starting out!!!
    Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
    Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

Originally posted by Hoppy View Post
      Great review Michael. I was thinking about getting that title but was a bit worried about the website... I wish it was available on Amazon, but sadly it's not.
      Thank you, Hoppy ; -)

Yes, unfortunately it's not available everywhere. I got it from thomann.de, so may be your favorite music store has it, too?

Originally posted by Hoppy View Post
      Have you checked out "Benny Greb - The Language of Drumming" yet? I have the book and DVD and think it is an incredible little system - I sure wish I had something like this at hand when I was first starting out!!!
      No, I haven't, though my drum teacher mentioned Bennies "letter-system". Next time he'll show me probably how to run check patterns on triplets with his letters.

I had a quick look at the trailer from 2009 and some check of his manual. To compare both DVDs, what I understand is that the "language" focused more, if not only, on the time aspect from "art&science". Which is great. You won't find that level of detail in "art&science", not even close. "Language" certainly helps to build, expand and use patterns reliably on-the-fly. If that's correct "art&science" tries a more holistic view on drumming. With "art&science" you can change the groove of the same drum pattern while varying time, feel, sound, mind and body - sometimes on purpose, sometimes for analysis and improvement. Having practiced both is certainly a good idea ; -)

(An example: Play some drum pattern, and sit upright one time, and exhaustively bent over the second time [body aspect]. Play it again and think of a real tragic moment in your life, and think of one of your most happiest [feel aspect]. And so on ; -) Use these observations for self-analysis, when "it won't groove today". Use it on purpose for your next musical performance to replicate the groove needed. That's what "art&science" is about.)

Michael
      Last edited by MS-SPO; 09-25-16, 12:59 AM.
      td-30 user ;-)

Comment

That's good insight of the difference between the systems.
        I like to think of the "L of D" as teaching WHAT to play - it pushes for technical proficiency/facility so that you can execute what is in your mind.
        I view the "A&S of G" as teaching HOW to emotively execute what you hear in your mind.

I think together the really offer some of the best philosophy available for such a reasonable price (heck, you can get both packages for the price of a couple lessons with a local teacher or less than the price of one lesson with a "pro").
        Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
        Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

Working...
        X