Slippery sticks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slippery sticks

I have an unusual issue, my hand palms do not sweat at all. As a result my sticks have excellent grip until they start to get a bit greasy because that happens when you play and hold your sticks. Then they get slippery and that makes you use your hand-muscles completely wrong causing all kinds of little pains.

I tried to clean my sticks with soap or an alcoholic based cleaning-gel. I also tried to moisten my hands but that works only temporary. In the end starting to use a new pair is the only satisfying solution.

I used gloves in the past but I hate that. Any suggestions how to keep the sticks in a clean, non-slippery condition?

Thank you!

Sounds like a structured surface might help you, like having grooves, pits or similar.

Perhaps removing the varnish mechanically or chemically is an option? Perhaps some gentle grinding may help. Using a course grinding substance may help you creating some groove like structures.

P.S.: Please don't laugh: Sometimes enhancing the opposite is a vital option. I.e. making the sticks even more slippery ... over slippery ... hyper slippery ... ... Sometimes applying the effect in over-excess provides a new situation, which becomes much easier to control.
    td-30 user ;-)

Comment

So, my last remark (P.S.) leads me to the question how you do control your stick, and what others do to welcome and control an over-slippery stick. Is there only Tommy Igoe's approach to it?
      td-30 user ;-)

Comment

I have dry hands in the winter and tried the Vic Firth Vic Grip. It works okay but I made the mistake of using them when it was warm and I started to blister. Then the grip starters to wear off. The jury is out on the Vic Grip. I also use hand moisturizer and that helps. Just have to keep putting it on.
        Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Well, here's a thread from the distant past. I started wrapping my sticks back in the early 2000's with tennis over-grip type tape. That might be the solution for you. Over-grip tape is cheap enough, so give it a try. J
          https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general...orm-dip-sticks
          I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
          Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Powered by the TD-50, 2Box modules,(Mimic coming), drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Over grip will change the thickness, but it may or may not bother you.

You could also try surfboard wax. It's the same wax as drumstick wax, just a fraction of the cost.
            DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

I too have dry hands. I use Zildjian Drumstick wax - works OKAY
              Get the guaranteed best price on Stick Accessories like the Zildjian Drumstick Wax at Musicians Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of items.

Comment

Thanx guys! Wax looks good!

Comment

And / or try GigGrips http://www.giggrips.com/
                  *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
                  DTX modules. Roland TM-2, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Loads o' synth modules. And...a ukulele or three.

Comment

Brand makes a ton of difference, they all use different laquors and different amounts. Try Vics, Vators, Promarks, etc.
                    I have spit in my palm before playing a gig in a rush haha. It was gross but needed to be done.

I have heard of guys using hair pomade. Just a dab in the hand, rub it around and it doesn't go away.

Ultimately it comes down to your grip as well. my left hand the stick used to rotate, slide around. but it was my grip strength and how I held the stick that fixed it.

you could also warm up on a pad, set a click at a fast pace and work up a bit of a sweat before the gig even starts.

Comment

I've bee n thinking about the gig grip since I am missing my index finger on my left hand. The suggestions here also look interesting.
                      Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

I also op for hand moisturiser. Not too much though.

Comment

Originally posted by jimorlando View Post
                          I've bee n thinking about the gig grip since I am missing my index finger on my left hand.
                          They're a bit weird to start with, but you soon forget they're there. They also let you play with a looser grip if you like. I even used them for the 2012 Olympics Opening as I really didn't want to drop a stick then!
                          *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
                          DTX modules. Roland TM-2, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Loads o' synth modules. And...a ukulele or three.

Comment

Here is my DIY for my own "Poor Man" version of Gig Grips from 2010 ...... cheapest DIY I've ever done since I already had the material. I named it Band Aid.
                            I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                            Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Powered by the TD-50, 2Box modules,(Mimic coming), drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Well, that would make it easy to do stick twirls also.
                              "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Working...
                              X