using heavier 2B sticks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using heavier 2B sticks

I just noticed that in my case, using heavier 2B sticks feels much better, since I am able to better control the sticks...

So what do you think? Would this be an issue for my drum technique on the long term? I am drumming for almost 1 year now, so not too much experience from my side. Thanks
    Roland TD-25KV, Drum-tec 14" pro Snare Sapeli, 2xPDX-100, 1xPD-125BK, 1xCY-14C, 1xCY-13R, 1xCY15R, Tama Iron Cobra HP600D Pedal, Tama HH905N Hi-Hat Iron Cobra Lever

For sale AD2 with 4 ADpacks: https://www.vdrums.com/forum/mark...-drums-2-with-4-adpacks

Beefier sticks provide better grip. If 2B fits for you then you should use it!

Comment

I started on 7A's, when I switched to 5A's things got a lot better, it was a major change for the better for my technique. But I had to learn how to play correctly first, when I was hamfisting the sticks, heavier sticks gave me wrist problems.

Edit: probably should have mentioned I tried 2B's, they were too heavy for me and slowed me down, the 7A to 5A transition made singles and doubles more controllable. 2B's for me were too much of a good thing. My teacher says there is no one-size-fits-all for sticks, although he did try to talk me out of 7A's, said they weren't heavy enough.
      Last edited by kurth83; 04-04-16, 02:40 PM.
      Mini-kit: TD-9 + Alesis Control Pad + Alesis Sample Pad + PDX-6 snare
      Micro-kit: Handsonic HPD-20 + an old pair of hands.
      Speakers: QSC-K10 "thumper", DBR-10 "little thumper"

Comment

I stated with 5As and switched to 5Bs which is an improvement. I will have to give the 2Bs a try. I'm missing my index finger on my left hand and grip is an issue for me.
        Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

You will be able to adapt to any sticks as you practice. 2B sticks can stop you from using your fingers and move almost all the control to your wrists. Back in the Seventies as the guitarists got bigger amps, I progressed to heavy sticks and it sucked all the finesse out my playing. It dumbed down my music.

Electronic drums will survive for longer if you use lighter sticks and a lighter stroke. The problem is many drummers who play both electronic and acoustic drums want everything to feel exactly the same from kit to pads and back, and it really does not have to when you can just summon up a loud kit in a menu. I think that hard hits with 2B sticks may be more than some pads can take over time so be careful not to kill your sensors.
          __________________________________________________ _____
          Always seeking a compact one-piece solution to electronic drumming.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I already use too much wrist and remaing fingers on my left hand are arthritic so using the fingers is a bit of a challenge.
            Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

I play with 2B's for years now, acoustic and 2Box and they work for me. Just use what you like best.

Comment

Vic Firth has extra long 5A and 5B's . I use the x5A and it has nice weight and leverage.

Comment

FWIW I like using nylon tipped sticks on e-drums and for many years preferred ball tips and denser woods.

2B seems pretty chunky but I guess much depends on the size of your hands.

I used heavier Silver Fox hickory sticks on e-drums for many years and while they gave great bounce, in the end I found that switching to the lighter Mike Portnoy ProMark 420 sticks was much kinder to the hands and wrists - but then my hands are quite small.

As an aside on sticks generally I have ProMark hickory and oak sticks from decades ago which have a lacquer on them which prevents slipping but modern sticks haven't had this for years now and seem to require waxing or some other way of making grip better. I wondered if it was a cost saving or some other reason such finishes weren't available (as far as I know).
                  TD-50 upgrade kit, BFD3 on MacBook Pro, Focusrite 2Pre interface, SPD-sx, SPD-30, Roland KD 140, PD-BC 128/108 pads, Paiste signature cymbals, DW Hardware, Allen & Heath mixer, Fohhn Xperience III PA, Fohhn XT-33 active speaker drum monitor, Porter & Davies BC Gigster drum throne monitor

Comment

Ha ha - would you believe it - I just had an email flyer about 'sticky' Mike Portnoy ProMark 420 sticks - must try some

/Later:
                    Drat - says on M Portnoy's Facebook page that these sticks are heavier and longer than the 420s - a pity

http://www.promark.com/pmProductDeta...ProductId=1056
                    TD-50 upgrade kit, BFD3 on MacBook Pro, Focusrite 2Pre interface, SPD-sx, SPD-30, Roland KD 140, PD-BC 128/108 pads, Paiste signature cymbals, DW Hardware, Allen & Heath mixer, Fohhn Xperience III PA, Fohhn XT-33 active speaker drum monitor, Porter & Davies BC Gigster drum throne monitor

Comment

Working...
                    X