Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solution: "Transferring" midi files with your PC to and from TD-30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solution: "Transferring" midi files with your PC to and from TD-30

Hi,

did you ever thought about playing midi files on your sound module or save your drum session in midi format? Here is a workaround to achieve this, which may also work for other Roland models.

The problem is: the pattern files .TD0 aren't midi files, and midi files can't be replayed as patterns, though both patterns and midi files record user actions on at least one instrument. Their formats differ, so transfer by USB-stick doesn't work.

SOLUTIONS:

(1) On your computer install the USB-driver and connect TD-30 with an USB-cable.

PLAYING MIDI FILES ON TD-30:

When playing a midi file e.g. with the Windows Media Player (WMP), you can listen to the AUDIO stream. By default the WMP directs the midi data to its internal software synthesizer to create analog audio on your PC. You'll hear it too through headphones or monitor at TD-30 via USB (audio).

(2) When your windows version can't redirect the midi stream to MIDI OUT (via USB), then a midi mapper like this one may help: http://sierrahelp.com/Utilities/Soun...DI_Mapper.html . When TD-30 is connected the basic idea is to run System/Putzlowitsch and select the TD-30 entry. Now the midi stream coming from the WMP streams through USB to TD-30, where you can switch on and off the 5 channels (Melody, Bass, Backing 1+2, Percussion, Drum, see section "Pattern Sequencer" in your manual).

RECORDING MIDI FILES FROM PC ON TD-30:

(3) Create a new pattern on TD-30, start recording a new pattern on TD-30, play midi file from WMP, stop recording, rename pattern ;-)

RECORDING TD-30 AS MIDI FILES ON PC:

(4) Install a program like Anvil Studio (http://www.anvilstudio.com/). When TD-30 is connected Anvil will ask you to adjust its input and output to MIDI IN and MIDI OUT (from USB), so Anvil will record any midi streaming coming in. Start Anvil's recorder, drum live or replay a prerecorded pattern from TD-30.

BENEFIT FROM MIDI FILES:

(5) Use your favorite midi editor on PC to correct, enhance or add voices to your session. Replay the result on TD-30, as indicated ;-)

There may be other solutions, too. Please let me know ;-)

Best regards,
    Michael
    Last edited by MS-SPO; 04-12-15, 08:34 AM.
    td-30 user ;-)

Hi,

I have recently bought a TD30 and wanted to be able to record 'one shot' pattern sequences to trigger for live performance. I'm now 57 years old and the vague-eries of midi have eluded me thus far. I understand the concept but getting down in to the nitty gritty leaves me cold. My keyboard skills for live input of solo's aren't up to it, even if I slow down the metronome.
    I find it hard to believe that Roland have created this wonderful machine that you can only enter recorded patterns via live input on the kit itself or live via a keyboard. Which century are we in now? Were all the .TDO patterns on the TD30 entered in this manner? I think not.
    I appreciate the effort you have put in on this workaround Michael, but it's such a faff around for what should be easy. This post is a few years old now and I'm hoping there is an easier way around this problem?
    I trawled youtube and the internet to no avail.

Yours in hope

Andy

Comment

Working...
    X