Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

test a trigger w/o module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• test a trigger w/o module

just rebuilt a piezo trigger but I left my module at the practice space. Is there a way to test its function without my module? OHM meter, taste, or smell?
    E-kit: Roland td-8 VexPressions, DIY drums of various manufacturers custom wrap bum wrap, Krylon flat black hoops, Gen16's triggered, Addictive drums, QSC K-12, Roland SPD, jeredsystem bass drum lights. A-kit: Mapex Orion Classics, purple burl, gold plated lugs, Sabian Cymbals.

With an ohm meter you can test the continuity of the trigger. Plug in a TRS cable and test the tip of the cable while touching the ceramic or brass depending on which way you wired it. Do rhe same with the sleeve of the cable plug.
    I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

I broke a solder point on the ceramic and did a quick re=solder. I want to make sure I did not melt the ceramic. Would putting a meter on tip and sleeve and hitting the trigger tell me anything?
      E-kit: Roland td-8 VexPressions, DIY drums of various manufacturers custom wrap bum wrap, Krylon flat black hoops, Gen16's triggered, Addictive drums, QSC K-12, Roland SPD, jeredsystem bass drum lights. A-kit: Mapex Orion Classics, purple burl, gold plated lugs, Sabian Cymbals.

Comment

i use an old amp to try my pads. (no speaker, just headphones) its on my workbench next to the cable tester. its fast and easy.
        You could try to measure volts from the piezo... if your tester has alligator clips you can use them to hold the parts where you would solder the wires on a female 1/4 jack and connect the cable from the pad to it. its easyer than trying to keep the leads on the plug and hit the pad at the same time.

greetings.
        TD-25KV Kit + TD-8 Module + SPD6

Comment

Originally posted by robcod View Post
          I broke a solder point on the ceramic and did a quick re=solder. I want to make sure I did not melt the ceramic. Would putting a meter on tip and sleeve and hitting the trigger tell me anything?
          Many times when a wire breaks off the ceramic, part of the ceramic breaks off with it. If that is the case replace the piezo. If you melted the ceramic when soldering it would most likely end up with your solder contacting the brass under the piezo ceramic. You can normally see this clearly when you solder, IE you would see a hole develop on the ceramic at the solder point. Again, if you suspect that replace the piezo. If you do a continuity test touching the solder on the ceramic and the brass of the piezo ..... if there is continuity replace the piezo. I guess my short version is:
          with the affordable price of a piezo if it were me, I'd replace it and keep a few around as extras.
          Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

thanks Jman and nacho. The ceramic did pull off I just soldered next door. I do have other piezos I just did the fast and easy. I usually hot glue everything down and they don't break away but this one I missed. All said, with the time I have spent on posting I could have fixed it new by now. Although with the new piezo I still want to know it works before the gig.
            Last edited by robcod; 03-09-15, 09:15 PM.

Comment

All said, with the time I have spent on posting I could have fixed it new by now.
              No worries, if I had back all the time I've spent posting on forums ...... well ...... I'd have a real life

Comment

Funny, I'm going to be in touch Jman when the tax man leaves a package at my house

Comment

Funny, I'm going to be in touch Jman when the tax man leaves a package at my house
                  Cool, contact me anytime, J

Comment

Working...
                  X