Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butter That Bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butter That Bread

My new video with old fashioned HiHat and Cymabl techniques...enjoy
    Don't even tell me us old farts still don't have something to say and learn! Just give me some ghost notes and I'll Purdie your brains out!:cool:

Playin' for over 50 years (21 years 5 & 6 nights a week) and still lovin' every minute of it!!! TD-12 noob and growing!:p

I find myself doing this sometimes if I'm really in the groove! I have no technique at all either... I'm a guitarist after all!
    TD9-KX2, VEX Masters 50, Toolbox, Naturals & Acustix. Many many Guitars, Bass Guitars & Mics, and a very understanding Wife!
    MacBook Pro 2.8ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM. Line 6 UX8.

Comment

Oh yeah baby, bustin out with the old school, keep it coming!!

K ;-)
      My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
      E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
      A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
      A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Very nice and good tip also.
        "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

really great.
          loved it.
          thank you.

Comment

This is my favorite thing ever.

Buttering the bread... hmmm BUT I found it's a thing better left to A-hats, why? The rubber on e-hats grip the sticks just enough to bother me during the sideways motion.

Raising the stick on the off beat though, I can't NOT do that, it's instinctive.

I can't remember which lesson I was watching online, but an important thing I took onboard was "always looking for rest time" and by that, I don't mean; going for a beer between songs.
            I mean it's - buttering the bread. Half a second where your muscles can relax, or to put it another way, 75% of the effort for the same beat.

One thing you didn't cover though; to me, the most important of all:
            That's half a second gained where you can be... the flamboyant drummer! Forget the technicalities, raise your whole arm in the air on that offbeat! Let the crowd know your awesome!
            ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
            ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
            PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

You can't make a fat bald old guy look flamboyant no matter how high I raise the stick! lol
              Last edited by Carminemw; 02-27-15, 01:03 PM.
              Don't even tell me us old farts still don't have something to say and learn! Just give me some ghost notes and I'll Purdie your brains out!:cool:

Playin' for over 50 years (21 years 5 & 6 nights a week) and still lovin' every minute of it!!! TD-12 noob and growing!:p

Comment

Very cool and informative as always thanks Carmine.
                Flamboyant, Whats that LOL!
                NOW with New Improved TD-30 Module, some V drums an other music making thingies with miscellaneous small furry animals, large hairy animals, motorcycle bits and a big muff:rolleyes:.

Comment

Originally posted by sycle1 View Post
                  Very cool and informative as always thanks Carmine.
                  Flamboyant, Whats that LOL!
                  I am an old bald skinny guy, who is new to drumming. and freakin loving it to the max.
                  I had never heard of a flam before starting drumming.
                  but now have been brought up to speed.
                  I have read (double check anything I say, in case this isn't right), that flamboyant is playing 2 single strokes with alternating hands.....well, here, I'll quote the wiki: "flam A flam consists of two single strokes played by alternating hands (RL or LR). The first stroke is a quieter grace note followed by a louder primary stroke on the opposite hand. The two notes are played almost simultaneously, and are intended to sound like a single, broader note.[5] The temporal distance between the grace note and the primary note can vary depending on the style and context of the piece being played."

now, the tricky part is that you must do it in a bouyant manner.
                  I usually accomplish this by pretending that I'm on a boat, sailing along, entertaining my beautiful supermodel girlfriend with my chops, especially my expert flam work.
                  Last edited by chasmanian; 02-28-15, 01:17 PM.

Comment

LOL!!! Chasmanian
                    I did some buttering on the hats on the weekend with the band got a great swing happening thanks Carmine.
                    Guitarist said he had an old girlfriend that was "butter"
                    he said everything about her was perfect, butt er face BADA BING BADA BANG!!!
                    NOW with New Improved TD-30 Module, some V drums an other music making thingies with miscellaneous small furry animals, large hairy animals, motorcycle bits and a big muff:rolleyes:.

Comment

too funny dude. you rock.
                      am signed up at Groove3.
                      watched a lesson last night with Ed Shaughnessy and Clem DeRosa.
                      they were talking about the 4 T's and listening.
                      absolutely phenomenal teaching, man.
                      Last edited by chasmanian; 03-02-15, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
                        This is my favorite thing ever.

Buttering the bread... hmmm BUT I found it's a thing better left to A-hats, why? The rubber on e-hats grip the sticks just enough to bother me during the sideways motion.
                        Same here. I can't do it on my PCY135 I am using for HH as it grabs the stick too much when I do a side motion on it... just enough to throw me off after a few bars.
                        It is a fun thing to do, but for me, best when playing acoustic HH, not my e-HH.
                        DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
                        Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

I do it on both...it's hard on thr cy5, but it makes me snap my wrist back faster!

Comment

I tried this some years ago, after watching Ringo, I thought it was so cool, but very difficult to do on my CY-5. I still do it occasionally on the VH11's but not live, I can't hold a tight groove lol. Once I've done built an A2E hat I'll get back on it! :-)
                            2Box Drumit5, DIY 12" Snare, 12" Floor Tom, 2x10" Toms. Acoustic cymbals w/DIY triggers, Triggera Krigg, Tama Iron Cobra Kick and Tama Roadpro HH stand. Tennis Ball Riser (not needed now I have the Krigg lol).

Comment

Working...
                            X