Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how did Michael Schack hook up his TM-2 with TD-30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how did Michael Schack hook up his TM-2 with TD-30?

in this video clip I don't see he uses MIDI cable, how did he hook up TM-2 with TD-30 to get layered sounds of TM-2 and TD-30 together? I tried TM-2 with SPD-30 using MIDI cable and it works but you have to setup MIDI notes in SPD-30 to match with TM-2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogBm-Ltspb8

I think he is using the trigger inputs on the TM2 to connect to the same pads that he connects to the TD-30. Basically, use a Y-Cable to connect the snare pad trigger to BOTH the TD-30 snare input AND one of the Trig inputs of the TM-2 at the same time.

-SD-

Comment

if he uses Y-cable .. then only singles trigger [mono] .. but he uses head/rim trigger for his snare. How did he connect this? thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tivi View Post
        if he uses Y-cable .. then only singles trigger [mono]
        No, that is a splitter cable and it will not work. When I say Y-Cable, I mean a cable that converts a 1/4 in TRS to a Dual 1/4 in TRS like the Hosa CYS-100 series -- http://hosatech.com/product/cys-100/

Comment

thank you.

Comment

Hi everyone, in that clip I AM actually using a MIDI cable to connect TD-30 to TM-2. So TD-30 is transmitting MIDI note and velocity data thorugh MIDI into the TM-2. Not using the analog trigger inputs of TM-2 for this, which leaves them available for extra pads etc.
            SuperNATURAL drummer. Hostile relationship with latency and unnatural trigger reaction. SquarElectric "MichaelSchack.Drums" play along album
            Download --> (link) http://michaelschack.bandcamp.com

Comment

Hi Michael, I'm also triggering the TM-2 via MIDI (blending audio back to audio input on TD-25) but I've found that MIDI in can only trigger the 4 notes/sounds already assigned to the physical inputs. If I have extra pads connected to the inputs they can only trigger the sounds I've already assigned to blend over the top of the 4 chosen pads from the TD-25. Is there any way to assign separate percussion sounds to the inputs and also assign a different set of MIDI notes for elements etc to go back to the TD-25?
              If I want percussion on the TM-2 inputs it will also trigger percussion sounds back over the 4 TD-25 pads I've assigned the MIDI notes to.
              I think I can have a percussion kit set on the TM-2 and assign each TM-2 instrument a different MIDI note so it doesn't trigger when the TD-25 does, but then I have to switch the TM-2 kits to either have percussion from the inputs or layering elements back to the TD-25 from the VDrums MIDI signals.

Can you think of a work around to have both available? Thanks

Tivi, you may already know, but you can set the MIDI note of each instrument or WAV sample inside the TM-2 if you want to leave your SPD-30 MIDI assignments untouched.

Comment

Let's see what Michael says. I have no experience with the TM-2. My gut tells me it is capable of playing 4 different sounds, not 4 sounds from the inputs and additional sounds via MIDI at the same time. I'm not usually a Debbie Downer, but this seems to make sense when you think about the niche it fills and its price point. It's unlikely Roland would sell a unit with that much capability for $199. I'll take a look at the manual when I get a minute.
                ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Originally posted by Slim View Post
                  Hi Michael, I'm also triggering the TM-2 via MIDI (blending audio back to audio input on TD-25) but I've found that MIDI in can only trigger the 4 notes/sounds already assigned to the physical inputs. If I have extra pads connected to the inputs they can only trigger the sounds I've already assigned to blend over the top of the 4 chosen pads from the TD-25. Is there any way to assign separate percussion sounds to the inputs and also assign a different set of MIDI notes for elements etc to go back to the TD-25?
                  If I want percussion on the TM-2 inputs it will also trigger percussion sounds back over the 4 TD-25 pads I've assigned the MIDI notes to.
                  I think I can have a percussion kit set on the TM-2 and assign each TM-2 instrument a different MIDI note so it doesn't trigger when the TD-25 does, but then I have to switch the TM-2 kits to either have percussion from the inputs or layering elements back to the TD-25 from the VDrums MIDI signals.

Can you think of a work around to have both available? Thanks

Tivi, you may already know, but you can set the MIDI note of each instrument or WAV sample inside the TM-2 if you want to leave your SPD-30 MIDI assignments untouched.
                  Hi, with TM-2, within a kit, you can only assign 4 sounds. When including FX settings etc., also availalbe in TM-2, the amount of polyphony doesn't allow more sounds to be available "at the same time" - every kit contains 4 sounds, FX settings, volume/level setting, pan settings etc. So there's no working around this specification. That's why Roland has the SPD-SX : enormous power, 18 samples on the pads (thanks to main+sub layering + external trigger inputs which can trigger seperate sounds which are not assigned to the main pads. Also, please consider that the TM-2 only costs what it costs : for anything you would like to be included as suggested, you need more processing, more editing software, more audio routing possibilities in the operating system/software, etc. and the cost of the processor is definitely a determining factor in this. Cheers
                  SuperNATURAL drummer. Hostile relationship with latency and unnatural trigger reaction. SquarElectric "MichaelSchack.Drums" play along album
                  Download --> (link) http://michaelschack.bandcamp.com

Comment

How about Roland build a module that has "Layering capabilities" built in ?? and not have to buy multiple modules to do one thing....... Well at least they finally made drum heads in all sizes after how many years....
                    Roland TD-12 Ludwig A2E 5pc kit, VH-11
                    Studio Drummer, Abbey Road 60's 70's 80's, AD2, SSD4, SD3
                    Komplete Audio 6, JBL Eon 515XT, Mackie FX12, DAW Studio One 3

Comment

[QUOTE=michaelschack;n1121191]

Thanks Michael, I didn't think there was a way around it and yes it still is really good value for it's capabilities.

One last question if you don't mind, I've downloaded a single sample .wav file of a VST drum sample to the TM-2 and it has a full 2 second latency when triggered. The .wav sample is large @ 220MB and my SD card is a class 10, UHS-1, 80MB/sec. Sandisk Extreme. Would it be correct to assume the latency is from the SD card transferring 220MB at 80MB/sec which adds up to just over 2 seconds to sound?

If it is the SD card speed I assume I would have to spend a bit of money on the fastest SD cards or reduce my sample size dramatically (which would be a shame for triggering backing track samples if they have a delay on triggering)

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                      X