Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So Ya Wanna Be a Drummer....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Ya Wanna Be a Drummer....

My latest foray in my youtube lesson series...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PShV73EVwDo
    Don't even tell me us old farts still don't have something to say and learn! Just give me some ghost notes and I'll Purdie your brains out!:cool:

Playin' for over 50 years (21 years 5 & 6 nights a week) and still lovin' every minute of it!!! TD-12 noob and growing!:p

Great point, "drumming is a PROCESS". Maybe shorten the video to express JUST this message. Most folks on YouTube have short attention spans....a quick drumming intro, and then a more pizzaz type delivery (maybe not so monotone behind a mic and a pair of cans, but certainly not a Chris Farley motivational speaker either lol!) = message sent and received. Thanks for sharing, just my personal critique, not meant to take away, but add flavor to the discussion.

Rock on my friend!
    K ;-)
    My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
    E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
    A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
    A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Yep, have to agree with Kenster here. Totally agree with the message but you are so soft spoken and laid back (at least in this video) that you may lose much of your audience. Also, you may want to stay away from referring to the present time of day (I believe you made mention of "this evening" and "tonight") since your video will presumably be watched at all times of day or night (seemed strange to here you refer to "this evening" when I was watching at noon!).

Very small criticism (suggestions, really) to a very good message. Meant to encourage, not to put you down in any way shape or form; I've enjoyed your past videos and hope you'll keep making more!

Mark
      www.RemedyRocksKC.com

Comment

I agree with the suggestions (gently offered) above and add my thanks for putting yourself and your valuable ideas out here for the community of drummers. Much appreciated!

Comment

Just as note Carmine, I too appreciate what you put out there. I've watched many of your YouTube videos with interest.

Comment

Thanks to all of you and I really appreciate the comments. I was kinda soft spoken on purpose with this vid, but maybe I became a little too boring or mundane. I was trying to speak more from the heart on this one, because I have so many students who look lost because they can't do some of the things they see on youtube, and think there is something wrong with them.
            My granddaughter (the 2nd one I've been training) just came up to me and asked if I thought she should apply for an "All-State Band" competition. She's been playing for a total of all of 9 months and thinks she should try out. I told her that I always want her to try hard, but she has to be realistic about her abilities. I showed her the types of pieces she would need to perform, and then I got the sad puppy look. How do you get across to a kid that even they are really quite good, you still have to consider the competition when dealing with these types of school events. Events that have other students who've been playing for years upon years. We talked and we realistically will go for it next year. But let me tell ya, patience is not her strong suit.

This is the type situation I've been dealing with for years. I have trained "All-State" champions. ( my last was just this past year, but I felt I had to get this message across with the hope that maybe someone's bubble won't burst before they even begin.

Thanks for all the comments and thanks for watching...

Carmine
            Don't even tell me us old farts still don't have something to say and learn! Just give me some ghost notes and I'll Purdie your brains out!:cool:

Playin' for over 50 years (21 years 5 & 6 nights a week) and still lovin' every minute of it!!! TD-12 noob and growing!:p

Comment

I know the feeling. It's hard to teach in this day and age bout hard work and patience. Kids now are brought up in the world of the internet and instant everything! All want to do what they see on the net, and when they figure out the work involved, they trash it saying it's a stupid thing anyway. Very few have the courage to embark on the mission of trying to be great at something...... Besides computer games, of course!
              DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
              Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Thanks for all you do Carmine.

K ;-)

Comment

Very well said, sir. I find myself being guilty of the instant gratification syndrome when trying to learn a new lick. For example, linear triplets. I can blaze them doing R-L-K, but switch up that order and I'm all over the place. Leading left handed? Forget it. So I've had to go back to doing them painfully slow and just getting the feel for it and having to do it over and over and over and over. It's a hard thing to do, but we all need patience to improve. Thanks for the video!

Lee
                  TD-9 with Master 50 VEX pack. Three PD-85 dual triggered toms plus one 10" Hart Acupad. 10" Jobeky Drums snare. 8" Hart Acupad kick. CY-5 as hats, CY-8 and CY-14 as crashes, and CY-12R/C as ride.

Comment

Lee, thanks for the compliment...maybe this wil give you some new perpsective on your triplet dilemma...may even give you the same outcome in the end...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEXEzq42y5k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVIIr-hBi5M

Comment

• fastballer8
                      fastballer8 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for those videos, Carmine. I really like that Ginger Baker lick you described. Those will be really good exercises to help me with those techniques. I don't suppose you're located in the greater D.C. area are you? I'd love to take a couple lessons.

Lee

I Enjoy your Videos, thanks Carmine!!
                    NOW with New Improved TD-30 Module, some V drums an other music making thingies with miscellaneous small furry animals, large hairy animals, motorcycle bits and a big muff:rolleyes:.

Comment

Lee...I'm downey erschen hon in Bethany Beach. If you get into the area let me know. I do Skype lessons as well. I had 2 students in Georgia, one in Wilmington and one in Camden Wyoming, so I have been teaching online for about 3 years now...send me a pm, or give me a call at 302-245-1540...I'm sure we can work something out...if you're interested...thanks

Carmine

Comment

Carmine, are you in Bethany Beach, Delaware? HOLY SNIKEES!!! I got there every year. The clubs and night life in Dewey and Rehoboth and Ocean City are AMAZING. Great live gig venues!!!
                        If you are there, we GOTTA meet up!

K ;-)

Comment

Yes the one and only. Been down here now since '99. I was originally from Baltimore, then moved to DC where I played with a group called 2nd Coming. Then moved back to Baltimore when I played with the Admirals. Got out of music in 92. Got back into the groove in 2006 and have not stopped since. I played 21 years full time 6 nights a week. Now I'm teaching at the local music store and playing a bit...

Comment

Working...
                          X