Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MDS-4V Drum Rack Modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MDS-4V Drum Rack Modification

Wanted to share a recent modification made to the TD-11 drum rack...

I love the kit...but had been regretting not buying the TD-15 for the rack space...the MDS-4V that comes with the TD-11 is a bit tight when you add a double bass pedal and extra pads.

So I found a reseller on eBay and bought two curved Roland tubes from some other set that are 5" longer than the 22" ones on the MDS-4V...it worked out great and I made more room for the double bass and the extra pads without any stability issues. Also, I was able to bow the kit out beyond the 40" spread Roland recommends...more room...and no stability issues!

I also found out that the Yamaha tubes are the same diameter as Roland tubes...so if you can't find old Roland tubes...Yamaha will work...I've seen 28" curved versions of the Yamaha tubes.

For painting I used Rustoleum Satin Black spray paint with primer from Lowes for under $6.00 and it matched the kit perfectly when it was all done.

Hope this helps...I'm 6' tall...so if you are feeling cramped, consider checking eBay.

Cheers!

Post note...the tubes cost me about $6.00 each on eBay. : )

Comment

Very cool!
      NOW with New Improved TD-30 Module, some V drums an other music making thingies with miscellaneous small furry animals, large hairy animals, motorcycle bits and a big muff:rolleyes:.

Comment

Awesome! I did something similar with an extra leg to mount a TD-30 on an MDS-4 rack. I used the t-joint to mount one end of the snare arm that the -30 is mounted to and got another leg and another t-joint for the other end -- hangs off the left end of the MDS-4 with no stability problems at all. It used to bounce. Which was disconcerting, to say the least.
        TD-30++ (TD-30, Diamond Electronic Drums 14x5 snare+Ludwig Atlas Pro II, 2xPDX-8, 2xPDX-6, VH-11+Gibraltar 9607DL-LD, 2xCY-12C, CY-13R, KT-10) + DA200S, almost all on an MDS-4 and a bit on the floor.

Comment

Perfect timing on this thread. Similar issues.
          I have a TD-15K. I recently bought a 13" Hart Dynamics Snare and it sits (naturally) where the PDX-8 is. I now want to move the PDX-8 to my right, next to the other 'Floor tom' Pad... but there is not enough room. I either want to 'extend' the 24" curved wing longer or possibly extend the front two curved 24" bars. I just don't think the 'front' solution will work for me.

I will start looking on eBay as jmnnc suggested. I'm hoping for a 33"+ 'curved tube. I still have to buy a MHD pad mount, because the now vacant snare pad mount for the straight tube will not work.

Edit: Will a straight tube fit properly in the current tube connectors. Since they are curved, it does appear there is a slight cure to the connector. Anybody know?
          Last edited by Macarina; 10-05-14, 01:35 PM.

Comment

I have an MDS-4 rack and all the connectors look to be the same to me. I can check for sure this weekend when I rebuild my kit.

Edit: connectors are straight, tubes curve after exiting the connector.
            Last edited by jonm42; 10-13-14, 08:22 AM.
            TD-30++ (TD-30, Diamond Electronic Drums 14x5 snare+Ludwig Atlas Pro II, 2xPDX-8, 2xPDX-6, VH-11+Gibraltar 9607DL-LD, 2xCY-12C, CY-13R, KT-10) + DA200S, almost all on an MDS-4 and a bit on the floor.

Comment

Working...
            X