Announcement

Collapse

Technique Posting Guidelines

PLAYING TECHNIQUE DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Splitting inputs and adding piezos for custom TD-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting inputs and adding piezos for custom TD-20

Hi everyone. For the past year or so I've modified my v-drum set extensively. This forum has been an outstanding source of information and I thought I'd try to give something back and summarize the modifications I made.

First, my current set, which I now feel is "ready". TD-20 + TDW-20, PD-125X, PD-125, PD-120, PD-100, 3xPD-80, PD-9, 2xPD-7, CY-15R, CY-14, CY-12R/C (as a crash), 2xCY-8, CY-5, FD-7 (as a foot switch), KD-80, VH-11.

Modifications:

Kick drum: I wrapped my KD-80 with an old T-shirt (folded many times). This greatly improved the feel of the kick drum and reduced the acoustic sound of the drum - and I mean a really big improvement. However, the most interesting drum modification I did is utilizing the KICK DRUM RIM TRIGGER. This information was hard to come by. The kick input of a TD-20 is dual trigger but to use it you need to build a so called Raper circuit. The whole splitter can be built from scratch but afaik cannot be bought. I ordered the essential circuit from Keith Raper and added the required plugs to connect the drums and the module. It works very well indeed. The kd-80 worked very well when split with a PD-80 but I eventually ended up splitting the kick drum input with the CY-5. The only problem with the Raper circuit is that when the rim drum is hit with a very low velocity, it triggers the kick drum (head signal) instead of the rim signal. When playing, this practically never happens. With a PD-80 this was a smaller problem but even with the CY-5 its almost no problem at all.

Drum splitters: I ended up ordering three drumsplitters which allow splitting of tom inputs and aux inputs into separate drum pads. I split one of my toms (PD-80) with a PD-9. Split an aux PD-80 with a CY-8 (which didn't work as well until I modified my CY-8, see below) and split the two PD-7:s in one aux input. With a drumsplitter the rim pad does not trigger when the pad is touched very lightly but when any force is applied, both head and rim work incredibly well. A splitter like this should be an official product from Roland, it works that well. Only some minor tuning to trigger settings is required to make everything work.

PD-100: Added a 35mm piezo to make it dual trigger. Works very well and all you require is the 35mm piezo (which I ordered from Roland and got it after waiting for 6 months!).

PD-80: Modified one of my PD-80 to make it dual trigger. Ordered a rim trigger support plate and a 35mm piezo from Roland but ended up placing the piezo not under the head piezo but very near to the rim. When set up as a PD-125 in the module I get very nice rim sounds.

CY-8: It turns out that older CY-8:s have a 27mm piezo and I've read that newer ones have a 35mm. Anyway I changed my 27mm piezo into a 35mm piezo (this was very easy, just cut the wires of the old piezo and connect the new piezo with the old wires). The CY-8 is massively improved, its way more sensitive (and works way better with a drumsplitter as a rim trigger after the mod).

VH-11: Ended up buying this since its the VH-12 is way more expensive and apparently offers nothing that the VH-11 does not. Just set the CC Max value to 127 and you get the same sounds as with the VH-12. The VH-11 is also more silent than VH-12 or VH-13. The only advantage of the VH-12 over the VH-11 is the pressure sensing when firmly pressed but I get the same results with the VH-11 since I tread lightly.

Thank you for all your help and I hope this helps someone.

I'm interested in what you did with the KD-80 can you post some pics of it.

Comment

Has anyone tried sending the same pad to 2 different inputs to achieve 2 sounds at once? I tried this on my old kit which used 2 TD8s daisy chained but I got a delay between the 2 sounds. Now upgraded to a TD 20.

Comment

Here are some images of the kd-80 and my casing of the raper circuit. I also included a pic of the entire set.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the kd-80 pic. Very interestint

Comment

Very interesting. I am still working on technique, pedal adjustment, and head tension on my KD140 to reduce the double hit due to the amount of rebound that it has.
            Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Working...
            X