Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Practise kit - Roland HD1 worth a go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practise kit - Roland HD1 worth a go?

I have a Roland RMP-5 Rhythm Coach, but never seem to use it, even with an old e-cymbal acting as a hi-hat and a Triggera Krigg kick switch attached to a pedal.

So, I have been considering a 2nd-hand HD-1. They seem to be compact and will give me a 'full' kit experience, which will promote practising for me. I understand they are limited in that the module can't be made useful (10 kits of which only 3 are vaguely normal? what were they thinking?!), the bass pedal is not overly realistic etc. but as long as I've got at least one decent-ish sounding kit and the pedal is mostly alright, I think one of these would do a decent enough job for home practise.

I use a Roland TD-11KV for recording (alongside my trusty Pearl Prestige Session Select) but neither of these are close by.

Given this situation, do we think an HD-1 is worth pursuing if I can get one for 100-175? I understand I could replace the brain with a TD-3/4 and then use the Krigg + pedal as an alternative if I so wished at some point in the future?

Anyway, thoughts are welcome.

Sounds like you might get quickly frustrated by the HD1. I suggest you go for a used TD4 and use your Krigg. Toonarmy, are you a Geordie?

Comment

Originally posted by KennyinDundee View Post
      Sounds like you might get quickly frustrated by the HD1. I suggest you go for a used TD4 and use your Krigg. Toonarmy, are you a Geordie?
      No chance of getting a TD4 for that sort of price, unless you just mean the brain to upgrade the HD1?

I'm really not bothered about having kits. The RMP-5 basically has one sound and it's fine, so unless the HD1 plays like a dog, I'm sure it will do. I can't get to test one anywhere to know!

I'm a Geordie only in that I follow the Toon (god knows why) and am spiritually connected!

Comment

I presume that youve watched youtube videos of the HD1 to help you decide?

Comment

Working...
        X