Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Drum Module for Layering Sounds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Drum Module for Layering Sounds?

I was just wondering how many of you are able to reliably layer samples over unmuffled accoustic drums, using triggers and drum modules. I've been trying with an Alesis D4 and a Roland kick trigger, but I've had mixed results. For a while, I was able to have the kick batter head at a pretty low tension, nothing inside the drum, and I got about 99% accuracy. For a while, my band was just drums, guitar, and vocals, but we recently got a bass player and I've noticed the bass cab sets off the trigger. I eventually just got exasperated and cranked up the tension on the bass drum heads, and stuffed it completely full with a blanket and I now have perfectly accurate triggering, but I can't layer the accoustic and sampled sounds now.

I'm not asking for tips on how to dial in the parameters, I know it takes tweaking, and I basically understand what each parameter does. I'm just trying to figure out what modules you've found are the best for what I'm trying to do.

Even with the ancient D4 I would think you can raise the threshold on the input so as to avoid the cab vibrations. This is a common setting on any trigger interface. I see a lot of people doing this same thing with an alesis DM5 which is the updated D4

Comment

I had my noise gate and crosstalk settings all the way up and the bass cabinet was still setting off the trigger.

Comment

Well...there's always a matter of opinion....and this subject can be quite subjective...However...If you want some deep layered samples of acoustic drums from some of the best sample libraries available...you only have 2 choices.... Triggering VSTs from a computer/interface setup with your D4....or triggering the same VSTs from a 2Box inside the module without having to sport all that PC gear around. If you are satisfied with the sounds you have(or even if you change modules)....then it's a matter of isolating your kit...the monitors/amps from the stage to keep the vibrations from inadvertently activating your triggers...if the module tweaks don't take care of it. Repositioning the bass cabinet may help as well.

You could also relocate an internal trigger a bit closer to your beaters and turn the sensitivity down a bit in the module....it's worth a try. Just my 2 cents.
        8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
        http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

I was thinking of going with either an SPD-S or a TM-2, since both have expandable libraries. When you use your 2box, how do you have your bass drum tuned and how much muffling do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by MiasmicDrummer View Post
            I was thinking of going with either an SPD-S or a TM-2, since both have expandable libraries. When you use your 2box, how do you have your bass drum tuned and how much muffling do you use?
            I just use 2 modules...no physical acoustic tones for my kit....but the concept is the same. I would muffle my kick exactly how I liked it for the tone I wanted...and then rearrange/isolate everything else to address the vibrations and unwanted triggering. There are lots of "physical fixes" out there for this. I don't recall the exact tuning at the moment but both kicks I use come from Toontrack Evil Drums. One is deep and boomy (Bonham-ish) and the other has a nice Metal "click" added to it. I run both to the console and mix to suit my ear. That said...for you...especially cost wise ...the TM-2 might just be what you need for layering(haven't really studied up too much on it though..but I'm pretty sure you are only going to get a "single sample" so machine gunning may occur)...but you still have the vibration issues to deal with(which is what I would address before changing anything else.)
            8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting

Comment

So you're not triggering accoustic drums, you're using pads?

Comment

Originally posted by MiasmicDrummer View Post
                So you're not triggering accoustic drums, you're using pads?
                Correct...but like I said..the concept is the same as I use full size DIY shells...and I have triggered A's with mylar heads on other kits...just not my current kit.

Comment

Working...
                X