Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a cymbal...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a cymbal...

I have a roland 4kx and I'm looking to buy another cymbal, a ride with three triggers. I'm deciding between a cy12r/c for cost but I can invest in a cy13r if it's better. I want to use this drum kit in the long run so helping me decide a cymbal would be great. I heard that the cy12r/c doesn't have a good bell trigger area and that's a bit off-putting. I want the most realistic cymbal as possible.

Thanks
    Roland TD4KX (2xPDX6, 2xPDX8, 2xCY8, 1xCY5+1xFD8, 1xKD8+Pearl pedal and a TD4 module)

What I would like to suggest you to consider is to hunt down a used CY-15.
    Firstly, it is the biggest ride-cymbal in Roland's line-up, you won't be tempted to swap it, simply because there isn't something bigger.

Secondly, you can save a few bucks, coming out at way under what Roland's cymbals will cost new, while still having a piece of quality-equipment you'll enjoy for years!

HTH
    Greetings from Switzerland,
    - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Thanks hairmetal-81,

I checked and the cy15r is way out of my price range unfortunately. Thanks for the help though.
      Roland TD4KX (2xPDX6, 2xPDX8, 2xCY8, 1xCY5+1xFD8, 1xKD8+Pearl pedal and a TD4 module)

Comment

I second hairmetal's recommendation; used Roland CY-15R. They're all made in Japan, so it's a safer than most for a used item, one usually appears every month or 2. Bid up to your max budget and hope to win!

Your only other alternative as you said is the CY-13R. Which I played on TD-15KV just today actually lol. - Bell trigger needed such a wack it might as well be 2 zone imo, since I have both, I'd say size does matter imo. The extra weight (and cost) of the CY-15R also helps it swing a little more naturally.

I would also suggest the Yamaha PCY155 to you, but you won't get 3 zones to work with a Roland brain. However you can make it work as a 2 zone, so you'll have the cheaper 15" ride you want. Personally though, the PCY155 is better as a cheaper alternative to the CY-14 crash.
        ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
        ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
        PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

I have a CY-13R with my TD-11KV. I second Kabon's analysis - I really have to wack the bell to get a "bell" sound. So guys, is this not the case with the 15R (does the bell work better)?

Comment

Depends on the cymbal my cy15 takes a whack but not really what I would call hard. My problem is being accurate enough to hit the bell area when needed. There is a whole post on a mod you can do to make it better but at the cost of the thing I don't want to attempt it as you have to take the rubber cover off.
            "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Yes unfortunately you still have to hit the bell pretty hard on the CY-15R, it's because the playing area is a little bigger it doesn't feel so difficult.

2 Mods I'm aware of:

1) The tape mod, which reduces the distance between the sensor and the rubber, from the inside.

2) Metal washer mod with Roland CYM10, which will push the rubber closer to the bell sensor, from the outside. - The one I'm doing.

Alternative 1; disable a zone! Make the edge sensor super sensitive so that it triggers from a bow hit and then have bow sounds from the edge trigger. Then, turn down the sensitivity for the bow sensor, so you get bell sounds from hard bow hits.

Alternative 2; setup a velocity trigger map on your VST so that only harder hits trigger the bell, regardless of where you hit it.

Alternatives are just an experiment so far.
              Last edited by Kabonfaiba; 05-25-14, 12:33 PM.
              ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
              PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Thanks everyone,
                So basically I should go for the cy15r over 13r and 12rc. I'm still not sure I'll be able to afford it (I'm 14!) but I'll try. The bell triggers aren't very good and the cymbal might need modding. Has anyone had any experience with the 12rc? And the 13r doesn't trigger the bell easily?

Comment

At present the Roland cy15 is your best bet but soon I believe Triggera will be releasing a 17" 3 zone ride which will be made of a metal platform covered with rubber so it will behave in a more realistic manner. How urgently do you need it?

Comment

I've seen nothing so far about modding the CY-13R - I'm thinking maybe the tape mod, but ripping the rubber off will be trickier, so the metal washer mod would be a more sensible first option.

Even so, if the Triggera 17" ride turns out to be awesome I'll sell you my CY-15R for discount lol, I'm willing to bet we'll all be years older by the time it comes though :P
                    Last edited by Kabonfaiba; 05-29-14, 05:31 AM.
                    PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Thanks everyone, I think I might have to go for the 13r but I can wait and see if I can get a cheaper 15r. Thanks for helping me.

Comment

Sorry, I have another question: What comes in the box and how many cables will I need? In other words, will the cy13r come with the pole stand so I can attach it to my current 4KX rack or will I need to purchase it separately? And Is just the normal ride cable sufficient or will I need to plug in my CR2 cable to get all 3 triggers?

Comment

• Kabonfaiba
                          Kabonfaiba commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Retail box from a shop; Owner's Manual, Wing Nut, Felt Washer, Stopper, Connection Cable x 2, Cable Tie.
                          - Ride cymbals use 2x right-angle TRS connections for 3-way.

No pole or clamp will come with it, so yes you need to buy that separately, unless you already have one spare.

As kabonfaiba said...check used clamps and poles on eBay. They can be quite expensive.

Comment

So, in short: The connection cable that comes with the 13r will branch off, only requiring me to plug one RD cable into it, allowing me to change my (alright) cy8 into a second crash? And I should buy the clamp second hand as they are very expensive. Is this correct?
                          Thanks guys, this forum is so good for helping me with my first kit ever and my constant questions.
                          One last thing…In the future, what will I be able to upgrade to (module, attachments)?
                          Thanks again!

Comment

Both TRS cables need to be plugged into your module, taking up 2 jacks. This is because ride cymbals need 4 channels to operate (2 stereo TRS cables = 4 mono signals). 1 cable carries bell and bow data, the other carries bow and edge data with after touch also hidden in the signal somewhere. I don't have complete understanding of how it all works, but rest assured 2 cables are definitely required for full functionality.

You're have to split one of the toms or the other crash if you don't have enough inputs left. I would split the other crash personally as I hardly ever play bow hits on the crash.

Look for a used Roland MDY-12, I think, since it includes a clamp with it will match with other bits surely? I bought Gibraltar chromed myself since I wanted acoustic people to take me seriously lol.

Thinking about the future module? That's really going to be up to you, and your budget. Saying that, TD11 would be a sensible upgrade for the supernatural engine and VEX kits.
                            Even more money? a TD15 or 2box would be amazing.
                            Rolling in cash? TD30, or jump into the complex world of live VSTs with Megadrum + USB Interface + laptop/surface pro 3 for ultimate tech-headed module.
                            PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Working...
                            X