Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What mesh head is required for rim shot on a TD-6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What mesh head is required for rim shot on a TD-6?

Hi guys, just a few quick questions. I bought a used TD-6 kit (blue brain module)
    I'm not even sure if this is the original factory setup, it had some extra drum pads and a spare PD6 mesh pad which I use for the high hat. (see pic)
    I would like to be able to use a rim shot sound on the snare drum, but cannot figure it out?
    Do I have to buy another special mesh pad capable of doing both? and if so which one would be the cheapest option?
    I just noticed that all the rubber pads in this set are PD7's which according to the instruction book support rimshot sound.
    Seems like the nicer PD6 mesh pads would do the same but does not show that in the function chart...

Last edited by djtopcat; 05-20-14, 04:03 PM.

Nice kit pic. I need that Radio Shack moog synth!

Below's the rough process to set your pads, or to make sure they are set correctly. Those are PDX-8 right? I would try PD-80R first, since it seems your snare pad has 2 piezo sensors, one for head, one for rim shots.

If that doesn't work it, then try PD-80, or PD-100, but also make sure you are connecting them using stereo TRS plug type cables, not mono. Never know with a Franken kit.

PD-7 and PD-9 are the same functionally, so those or PD type should work. I've used them both with my TD-6V.

rc

While holding down [SHIFT], press [EDIT (SETUP)].
    [EDIT (SETUP)] lights.
    Press [  ] to select “TRIG BASIC.”
    Press [ENTER ].

The following parameters are automatically set to the most efficient values for each pad when you select the trigger type.
    Basic Trigger Parameters (SETUP/TRIG BASIC; p. 72)
    • Sensitivity
    • Threshold
    • TrigCurve
    Advanced Trigger Parameters (SETUP/TRIG ADVNCD; p. 74)
    • Scan Time
    • Retrig Cancel
    • Mask Time
    • Rim Sens
    For the most suitable values for each trigger type, refer to p. 36.
    You may need to adjust the value since these are just the reference value.

Strike the pad you wish to set.
    The setting screen for the struck pad appears.
    Select the most suitable trigger type from the following chart for the pad you are using.

[ I EDITED OUT NON-SNARE or other type pads ]

Pad
    Trigger Type

PD-5
    PD7/9

PD-6
    PD6

PD-7
    PD7/9

PD-80
    PD80/100

PD-80R
    PD80R

Press [INC/+] or [DEC/-] to select the trigger type.
    Repeat Steps 4–6 to set the trigger type for each pad.
    Press [KIT].
    [KIT] lights, and the Drum Kit screen appears.
    Strike the pads and press the pedals to check the following.
    • Are sounds being played with all pads and pedals? • Is the right instrument for each pad being played?
    If the correct sound is not being played, check the pad settings once more and refer to “Troubleshooting” (p. 110).
    Last edited by Meshopotamia; 05-24-14, 08:22 AM. Reason: Typo
    - - -
    Remo Practice set conversion, DIY cymbals, PD-7's & PD-9's, CY-5, Sonor Hi-Hat stand, Roland TD-6V, Zoom RT-123, CB700 snare, Simmons SDMP1 Tunes: https://soundcloud.com/artly-there

Comment

Oh, just found this page. Check into it, if those are PDX-8 http://www.rolandus.com/support/news/147

"Roland Corporation has some important information for all PDX-8 V-Pad users. Some PDX-8 pads may experience a problem with the rim sensor causing inconsistent triggering of rim shots resulting in no or very low sound volume."
      - - -
      Remo Practice set conversion, DIY cymbals, PD-7's & PD-9's, CY-5, Sonor Hi-Hat stand, Roland TD-6V, Zoom RT-123, CB700 snare, Simmons SDMP1 Tunes: https://soundcloud.com/artly-there

Comment

Working...
      X