Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carmichael Thrones (or other thrones for people with back problems)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carmichael Thrones (or other thrones for people with back problems)

Has anyone here used aCarmichael Throne?

Or what would other people with back problems recommend?

My back has been playing up a fair bit recently, thanks to a car accident a few years ago. This is an ongoing issue for me, it's pretty up and down, and I'm finding that I just can't play for long right now, because I can't sit down for long.

My current throne isn't great, well, it has a beverage holder which is great, but it isn't ergonomically great. It's fine for when my back is okay, but I'm looking for something more suitable for my damaged back. Something comfortable that I can get a back rest for.

Out of the three I've been looking into Carmichael Thrones seem like they might be the best option (the others being Roc N Soc and Pork Pie), but I can't try one in person and I don't know anyone who uses one to give me an honest opinion on them.

I did a search but I couldn't see much mentioning these, I don't know if the search engine is playing up on my computer or if it's just not something that anyone here has used.
    Kaiju
    Roland TD-15KV module and cymbals, Gen 16 AE rack, Gen 16 AE cymbals, Diamond Electronic Drums, Tama HP300 single pedal, Lectric Moo, Carmichael throne

I'm not familiar with the Carmichael. I have a Roc N Soc with backrest support. Love it.

Comment

I like the Roc N Soc too but if you can find one..the DrumFrame helped me more than anything. I use the throne and pedal platform only...not fond of the proprietary triangle rack bars and clamps. I use a Gibraltar rack system around it. I also modified the "headrest" to suit me.....and also later installed a Roc N Soc seat. This is a stock pic.

Pics of the modified throne can be found in my Monster(which is now extinct) thread...or the DIY forum..

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/pe...achine-monster

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/ad...ication-review
      Attached Files
      8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
      http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Now THAT looks pretty laid back rock to me!!

K ;-)
        My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
        E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
        A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
        A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

I have no experience with these thrones, but I would love to hear some comments on the brand since I have a really bad back aswell. I donno if they're available for me here in Sweden, but I need something other than just a regular round throne with no backrest.

Comment

If you don't have a laser cannon mounted to that DrumFrame, I think an opportunity was missed. Nice.

I checked out the Carmichael, looks nice. Wish I could try one. Their office chair might make my programming go a lot easier.
            - - -
            Remo Practice set conversion, DIY cymbals, PD-7's & PD-9's, CY-5, Sonor Hi-Hat stand, Roland TD-6V, Zoom RT-123, CB700 snare, Simmons SDMP1 Tunes: https://soundcloud.com/artly-there

Comment

I use the Roc-n-Soc but when my back is hurting, I just can't get comfortable.
              Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

They sound good in theory, but it's a lot of money for a gamble. They're not unreasonably priced, but add shipping to that and it's a fairly expensive "try it and see" which is what's concerning me. Buuuuuut... if they are good then the office chair might be really good for me.

Maybe I should get the office chair first for my trial, at least that's a tax deduction!
                Kaiju
                Roland TD-15KV module and cymbals, Gen 16 AE rack, Gen 16 AE cymbals, Diamond Electronic Drums, Tama HP300 single pedal, Lectric Moo, Carmichael throne

Comment

Any body have a line to a throne with a TALL, straight backrest -- close to the Drumframe image Daniel posted? The common lower back support on most products is too low for my comfort.
                  TD-9K2

Comment

I feel the same about wanting a tall backrest. Although I keep thinking: wouldn't a tall backrest be in your way when doing rolls down to your floortoms or whatever that would require you to turn your upper body? Wouldn't the back of your arms bump into the backrest or something?

Comment

Originally posted by TheYardbird View Post
                      I feel the same about wanting a tall backrest. Although I keep thinking: wouldn't a tall backrest be in your way when doing rolls down to your floortoms or whatever that would require you to turn your upper body? Wouldn't the back of your arms bump into the backrest or something?
                      Nah...the one on the DrumFrame is actually thinner than a traditional backrest such as the Roc N Soc. You never even know it's there except for the support it gives. I've had back and neck problems for years and this seat has been a life saver.
                      8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                      http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

^^^ that would be perfect. Any real limitations of drumming motion would be far out weighed by being able to drum comfortably for X hours.

I will have to look IKEA offerings, and maybe get someone local to fab a metal extender for the backrest (to bring the height up). Office task chair??
                        TD-9K2

Comment

I sense an innovation evolution here. Damon and Cruise might be demonstrating a new future with drum kit hardware. Natch, you would swap out the guns with drumsticks.

Comment

I ditched my throne for a regular high backed office chair and have never looked back since. Why didn't I do this YEARS ago??? I can sit forward or lean back in it and adjust the height. I have no limitations to my movement at all. I can throuw a pillow down on the seat if my bum starts to get sore after playing in comfort for hours.

Comment

Well, better late than never but I thought I'd add an update to this topic.

I took a chance and bought a Carmichael throne (with a back rest). So far so good. My back has been particularly bad recently and it's working well for my back problems. I think I'll eventually buy the office chair too. I can sit on that longer than I can comfortable sit on my office chair. AND they will customise it so I got a pink to match my drums (which is kind of a big deal to me).
                              Kaiju

Comment

Working...
                              X