Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VST and latency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VST and latency?

Ok, I initially I want to start dabbling into the VST world. If I use my TD-3 with a VST (Addictive Drums, Superior Drums, etc), what is best approach to eliminate latency issues that is cost effective?

Eventually, I'm really considering building a MegaDrum drum trigger box. So can I assume that whatever solution eliminates the latency issues with the TD-3/VST, can also be used for MegaDrum/VST?
    Last edited by ronyd; 04-25-14, 09:30 AM.
    Sonor S-classix birch
    Paiste and Sabian Cymbals;
    Mapex ProM ->EAD10; Mesh heads; Yamaha Top Triggers, Gen16 and L80 cymbals;

The first cost effective solution is to do nothing and figure out how you "feel" it.
    The bad news is you can never eliminate latency, but you can reduce it, possibly to a point that it doesn't bother you anymore (that's the goal).

So, setup your baseline and go from there.

-- Greg

Comment

A couple of questions:

1. What are your computer's specs?
      2. Do you use a soundcard or a dedicated audio-interface?
      3. [if you are using an audio-interface] What interface are you using?

HTH

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by hairmetal-81 View Post
        A couple of questions:

1. What are your computer's specs?
        2. Do you use a soundcard or a dedicated audio-interface?
        3. [if you are using an audio-interface] What interface are you using?

HTH
        good question Danoh. should have stated.

Mac Mini - MacOs snow leaopard 10.6.8, built-in audio, 4GB memory.
        Later thinking new mac tower.
        Sonor S-classix birch

Comment

Originally posted by zgeggy2k View Post
          The first cost effective solution is to do nothing and figure out how you "feel" it.
          The bad news is you can never eliminate latency, but you can reduce it, possibly to a point that it doesn't bother you anymore (that's the goal).

So, setup your baseline and go from there.

-- Greg
          Understood Greg, my question should have read "how to reduce latency"
          Sonor S-classix birch

Comment

My 'usual everyday recipe' would be to recommend 'asio4all', and go from there...

But does asio4all even work under Mac?

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

Originally posted by hairmetal-81 View Post
              My 'usual everyday recipe' would be to recommend 'asio4all', and go from there...

But does asio4all even work under Mac?
              Nope.

But Apple's own Core Audio driver is pretty good.

Ronyd, I assume you've read the VST primer and are familiar with sample rate, sample buffer, etc?

In the DAW or host you use with AD, if you lower the sample buffer to something like 128 or lower, latency should be pretty much non-existant.
              The Mac Mini should be able to handle that.

If you want to get lower than that, than a sound interface will be required.
              If you want one of the best, choose from RME. Pricey but if you can, it's worth it. Lowest latency interface and best support from the company.
              Cheaper but still good is Focusrite. Good support from the company as well.
              In the same price range is Presonus. Flakey drivers and ZERO support from the company. Don't go there.
              Beringher and Tascam use cheaper parts, so they are cheaper as well. Sound and latency will not be much better than your Mac Mini.

BTW, there are no Mac towers! The last Mac Pro was a big grey aluminium box, but the newer ones couldn't be described as "towers"! Frankly, if just for playing AD, a new Mac Pro would be way overkill.
              DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
              Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by ronyd View Post

Understood Greg, my question should have read "how to reduce latency"
                Sure - sorry - I didn't mean to play with semantics. I knew what you were asking, but before you go off and change lots of hardware, just try your current config. If you have something acceptable, then start tuning it by reducing buffers in the pipeline (your DAW, etc) until playback seems to have dropouts. When you do, you know you've gone too far: dial it back one notch, play, and check how it feels.

BTW, is your MacMIni upgradeable to Mavericks?
                I have a MacBookPro from 2009 that does AD perfectly, but also Superior Dummer and any other VST I throw at it. What made a difference was: using an SSD and moar RAM (8 GB), but again, don't go chasing hardware quite yet - give it a try first!

-- Greg

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post

But Apple's own Core Audio driver is pretty good.
                  Bummer!

I have to remember 'Core Audio', next time the subject of drivers & Mac comes up, though!

BTW, there are no Mac towers! The last Mac Pro was a big grey aluminium box, but the newer ones couldn't be described as "towers"!
                  Yeah, the new 'Pro' kinda evokes associations of slide guitar ("bottleneck") within me...

...also I get the words 'toast' or 'wine' flying around in my head looking at this pic here:
                  (it looks like a 'round toaster' or a wine cooler ...I must be hungry again...)

...but maybe it's just an empty 'vase', waiting and ready to hold some beautiful flowers in it....

LOL

If you want one of the best, choose from RME.

Cheaper but still good is Focusrite.

Presonus. Flakey drivers and ZERO support

Frankly, if just for playing AD, a new Mac Pro would be way overkill.

+1 on everything Perceval said here.
                  The most important thing you pay for is good quality drivers!

Stay away from Presonus' VSL range, as well as Tascam's entry-level models. Tascam has been taken over by guitar-company Gibson recently, so this may not be the best place to go to if you end up having driver-issues! Ignore Behringer, too! Not what I would call 'Quality'.

Focusrite and especially RME are very good choices, with quality-drivers being a core competence of RME ever since! Lots of satified Focusrite users on this forum, too!

HTH
                  Last edited by hairmetal-81; 04-26-14, 07:11 AM.

Comment

thankx guys for the info.

I don;t plan on using a DAW, since won;t be doing recording right away. I just want to assign kits/sounds. I'll deal with DAW later on.

For zgeggy2k, My mac mini only upgrades to snow leopard 10.6.8.

for hairmetal, thinking older mac pro tower, not the slide guitar... $$$ not

just want to get my feet wet with a VST..
                    Last edited by ronyd; 04-29-14, 03:19 PM.
                    Sonor S-classix birch

Comment

I'm using an old MacBook, too, with 2GB RAM and no external soundcard. If you don't have too many drum kit pieces it should be sufficient for a start in VSTi.
                      TD-11 with 1xPDX 100 and 2x 12" drum-tec Diabolo pads, VH-11, CY 15R, CY-8 + various VSTi's.

Comment

• Anyware
                        Anyware commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have the same configuration as seasack (older MacBook Air with 2GB RAM), and I use Superior Drummer 2.0. I use the USB interface, and Core Audio is fast enough to keep up with very minimal lag. I don't do much recording...mostly just me playing "live" at home. Example: http://youtu.be/Wxfx7scuaDE

Why has nobody mentioned the Roland Octa-Capture?

3.1ms RTL

I'm tempted to say that's currently the best USB interface out there with that result, since that apparently beats a lot of PCIe cards as well lol. For the price I paid for it, you can pretty much forget everything else, including the RME Babyface.
                      ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ 2box DrumIt 5 MKII
                      ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
                      PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Working...
                      X