Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dtx502 Crash "stuck in choke"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dtx502 Crash "stuck in choke"

I have 2 pcy 65 as crashes and a pcy 65s for my ride...My crash 1 (pcy65) will be fine for a few crashes and then it will be stuck in the cymbal choke sound until I switch kits. Then it will eventually get stuck in the choke sound again. Any ideas?? I've unhooked cables to no avail as well.

Seems like scrolling the kits is resetting the inputs. Need to isolate initial problem to input, cable, or cymbal.

Disclaimer: I have no experience directly with Yamaha stuff yet (getting a DTX502 soon though) but these would apply to any module. Power off the module while swapping cables and inputs, power up again after.

1. Test cables first by swapping cables, point to point entirely (Crash 1 still into usual Crash 1 input but using Crash 2's cable), and with Crash 2 still into usual Crash 2 input) and note if choke sound problem swaps cymbals. I.E. Hit on Crash #2 now generates choke sound problem.

No difference? Problem remains for Cymbal #1 alone when hit? Likely not a cable. Test inputs.

2. Now plug Cymbal 2 cable into input for Cymbal 1.

Power up again. Hit your Cymbal #2, the known working-well one. If no problem occurs problem is cymbal #1. Plugging Cymbal #1's output into original input for working Cymbal #2, and noting problem returning, confirms Cymbal #1 is problem…somewhere.

Since you have two cymbals you can isolate to input, cable, or cymbal in a logical fashion. Can do all tests with one, and pair of cables, but you are lucky to have working cymbal to compare to.

If seems Cymbal #1 is the problem, not input or cable, might can suspect a bad solder joint or worn jack causing spurious signals which are confusing the modules.

Hope something here helps out.

rc
    - - -
    Remo Practice set conversion, DIY cymbals, PD-7's & PD-9's, CY-5, Sonor Hi-Hat stand, Roland TD-6V, Zoom RT-123, CB700 snare, Simmons SDMP1 Tunes: https://soundcloud.com/artly-there

Comment

Was just looking at one on Ebay for not too much…might have the Roland type rubber chunks problem inside the rim there, if those work the same. But the other tests will isolate it to a particular cymbal or not. Haven't seen a take apart on a Yamaha.
      - - -
      Remo Practice set conversion, DIY cymbals, PD-7's & PD-9's, CY-5, Sonor Hi-Hat stand, Roland TD-6V, Zoom RT-123, CB700 snare, Simmons SDMP1 Tunes: https://soundcloud.com/artly-there

Comment

Thanks for the tip Mesh. I have an extra cymbal so I swapped it with crash 1 and I still had the issue. So I'm thinking it's a cable issue. Going to switch out cables and see if that helps.

Comment

Idk what e kit you have now, if any, but you'll love the 502! I snagged mine for real cheap on the bay so keep watch for that killer deal!

Comment

Drumbum, hope you fathom it out soon.

My kit is a DIY Remo conversion, mixed in with Roland pads and Alesis and Simmons. I ended up with a Roland TD-6V which I like more and more, but want a DTX502. When faced with two competing options, I prefer the throw money at it approach and get both. Cheapest I've seen the DTX502 so far is $259 from Kraft.
            - - -

Comment

Nice! I had a TD-3 and upgraded to the TD-6V on my 1st E kit. I loved it while I had it. Snagged a cheap dtxplorer off craigslist now that I'm 5 hours away from my A kit. I made an offer of $140 on the 502 and the seller accepted it, so I got really lucky. Both are great modules, the amount of sounds (VEX included) and tweakability with the td-6v is great, but the 502 gets my vote simply because it's more updated. I think my issue might have been a bad cymbal, since I switched it out with the extra one and haven't had any issues yet (knock on wood). Thanks again for the help!

Comment

Hi guys, I just recently picked up the 502 to replace my module from a dtexplorer kit (slowly upgrading) and I've experienced the same issue with the cymbals randomly entering choke despite their lack of choke ability (tp65 hat and 2x pcy65). Have any of you managed to find a solution? Thanks so much in advance,

Jon

Comment

Working...
                X