Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playing headphones thru monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing headphones thru monitor

Living in a condo, I have always just plugged my headphones into my module for the obvious noise reason. How much different or better is it I use a monitor with headphones? Am I really missing something here?

I'm in a very similar situation, and based on a different post of mine - how much do you have to spend to get a decent drum monitor? My experience is don't bother with the low end Kat KA1 amp (I don't know how this compares to the Simmons DA50).

Comment

From what I hear the Simmons products are better and also hear even if you are in a small place, the Simmons 200 is the one you would want as opposed to the Simmons 50, but have you plugged your drums and headphones into any monitor yet ?

Comment

I can vouch for the Simmons DA 200. It's a very solid piece of work that offers you a deeper, richer sound experience. If you connect your laptop into the AUX on the Simmons, then you have a dedicated volume dial for your play-along songs; otherwise, adjusting the volume of songs on the laptop is not really convenient (another dial will control drums). I use mine with a Behringer Xenyx 8 mixer, which gives me the option of hearing a play-along song track from my laptop while the drum track can also thump out of the monitor for a more realistic bass feel. I realize that may not work in an apartment, but I end up with various options for playing my drums. The Simmons is one of the really good deals out there: got mine delivered to Canada from the U.S. for $269 last year. It is by no means essential for e-drums playing, but nice to control volume and EQ of headphones so conveniently.
        Roland TD-11: PD-105 snare, PDX-100 toms (3); CY-13R ride; CY-12 crash (2); KD-9 kick; Iron Cobra HP900 kick pedal; VH-10 hi-hat; Iron Cobra HH605 hi-hat stand; Simmons DA200s monitor; Sony MDR-7520 and Audioquest Nightowl headphones; AD2; VEX Apex, Sync, Icons, Boost, Masters 1-2; Drum-Tec LA Studios, Real Acoustic, Alternate Rock Sound Editions

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll see if I can return/replace my KA1

Comment

Thanks I will look into the monitor and mixer

Comment

Also, hemiboy, check out the Behringer website if you buy anything from them: you can get a free 3-year warranty if you register your product within 90 days.
              Roland TD-11: PD-105 snare, PDX-100 toms (3); CY-13R ride; CY-12 crash (2); KD-9 kick; Iron Cobra HP900 kick pedal; VH-10 hi-hat; Iron Cobra HH605 hi-hat stand; Simmons DA200s monitor; Sony MDR-7520 and Audioquest Nightowl headphones; AD2; VEX Apex, Sync, Icons, Boost, Masters 1-2; Drum-Tec LA Studios, Real Acoustic, Alternate Rock Sound Editions

Comment

Originally posted by hemiboy View Post
                Living in a condo, I have always just plugged my headphones into my module for the obvious noise reason. How much different or better is it I use a monitor with headphones? Am I really missing something here?
                I don't understand what you want to do. If you use your monitor, wouldn't you be giving up on your "obvious noise reasons"?
                Also, expect a difference in quality from the monitor vs headphones. I have a DA200S, and it doesn't sound anywhere near my ATH-M50. If you want the "feeling" and great sound quality, keep your headphones on and add a Throne Thumper. If you want others to hear you, then amp.

-- Greg

Comment

Ok so you answered my question. You are saying that the sound coming from a good set of headphones plugged into my module, which is what I have been doing since day one, is a better quality sound than what would come out of a monitor? I have to check out the throne thumper
                  Last edited by hemiboy; 04-04-14, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Yes, for apartments, zgeggy2k is right: throne thumper is the best option, or you'll have deep bass noise from an amp!

Comment

Ok thanks I am going to look at them

Comment

Let us know what you get then. Might get a throne thumper when I downsize.

Comment

I will but I need new heads , first!
                          Last edited by hemiboy; 04-05-14, 03:29 AM.

Comment

I agree with the above. For the optimum quiet playing, just plug your headphones into the module, unless you desire some EQ which the DA200S does have. However, I'm not sure that the EQ is applied to the headphone jack of the DA200S; it should be.

Get a throne thumper to add to the experience. Totally worth it.
                            ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

• hemiboy
                              hemiboy commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yeah, thanks, all I was trying to find out from the start was if the sound quality was better thru headphones that were plugged into a monitor. If it was , I would use it in my condo that way instead of plugged into just the module. If it was , I would have used it that way and would also have the option of a monitor outside the condo for a gig if it ever came up, that's all! I am going to check throne thumper in person when I am ready

Would love to get a throne thumper, jpsquared482. Which one do you recommend?

Comment

Working...
                            X