Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kat KA1 Amp - Disappointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kat KA1 Amp - Disappointment

Well I jumped on the Kat KA1 -- donít bother. This is my first experience with a drum amp. It is terrible -- absolutely tinny as can be (not much better than my transistor radio). Now I realized this is a very low end amp, but this is much less than what I expected. Do not buy this amp.

Now maybe this is the same or similar to the Simmons DA50, I donít know. But for me, Iím very disappointed. Chalk this up to experience. I was hoping for something comparable to what I hear through my ATH M50 headphones. Maybe that was unrealistic -- too bad for me. Again, regarding the Kat KA1 -- don't botherÖ.

Just my 2-cents,
    SKK
    Last edited by EssKayKay; 04-06-14, 10:09 AM.

Originally posted by EssKayKay View Post
    ... Maybe that was unrealistic Ė too bad for me...
    Indeed. If you want the sound of $100 dollar headphones, you need to spend about $2000 on PA. It amazes me that folk will spend up to $7000 on an ekit and then put it through a $200 amp. ANYTHING going through a $200 amp is going to sound like a $200 amp!

Are you within the returns period for the amp refund?

Comment

Yep, I agree most times you get what you pay for.
      "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

No I’m not going to return it. I guess you’re right – you get what you pay for. It’s just that I only drum for me in my basement – no gigging, no band mates, no fans, no etc., and I surely don’t need much volume – just me. Therefore, I just can’t justify much more than a few hun.

I read the review in digitalDrummer on these amps and it sounded like this is what I was looking for. I live in a small town with no access to any major music store so I never heard any of these – only read about such (my bad). It’s just that I expected more -- much more. Too bad for me….....

Thanks guys – I guess I Just needed to vent a bit,
        SKK
        Last edited by EssKayKay; 04-04-14, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the disappointment, that is a nice looking amp. Is it possible that the particular one you got has an EQ or other electronics issue? Do the EQ (bass in particular) controls have an obvious and noticeable effect? Is that woofer moving air like it should (visibly making good large motions?)?

That does look a lot like a re-branded Simmons DA50 controls wise, and spec wise seems they are about the same. If you are stuck with it and it is not defective, what can help sometimes is to enclose within a larger plywood boxÖsort of creates an air-boom area that helps the bass. With a wood enclosure, you can make one wall of that from foam core (vented, gives you another air moving surface, one you can make any size you want. (This is untested with an amp like this, but I've enclosed smaller speakers before and it helps, they become drivers for the larger then).

For the ultimate in tinny, try a TD-6V through a Gorilla GG-25. Makes your kick drum sound like a metronome. I thought my module was broken until I tried it through headphones.
          - - -
          Remo Practice set conversion, DIY cymbals, PD-7's & PD-9's, CY-5, Sonor Hi-Hat stand, Roland TD-6V, Zoom RT-123, CB700 snare, Simmons SDMP1 Tunes: https://soundcloud.com/artly-there

Comment

It takes a lot of money to get a live sound that is close to being as good as your decent inexpensive headphones. I love my Yamaha DXR-12 powered speaker, and there are other makes with similarly good reviews also. But those little e-Drum amps are at best for the spare bedroom while your family is watching TV downstairs.
            __________________________________________________ _____
            Always seeking a compact one-piece solution to electronic drumming.

Comment

Mesh,

I've played with the EQ quite a bit. It does make a difference but again, not even close to what I was hoping for. I guess it's like Barak says - It takes a lot of money to get a live sound. Oh well, too bad for me. I just can't justify spending a thousand bucks at this time - maybe a bit more GAS and I'll be there.

Comment

I also tried the Simmons DA50 for a day then took it back and got the 200 the 50 was crap compared to the 200 so much difference but twice the price!
                Twice the price but 4x the amp!! I still use it even with having the QSC when I dont want to shake the house.

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

So does the DA200 sound better than the 50 or is it just more powerful? Does playing the 200 at very low levels sound much better than the 50? I don't need much power/volume as I'm only using this in the basement for me.

Comment

Intruder can say for sure but I searched and most all reviews say DA200S is nice sounding, especially compared to the DA50 model, and also sounds nice for keyboards and other stuff. $320'ish at Guitar Center?

Feature wise, it sure seems awesome. You get stereo processing paths, with 100W dedicated to the low end (a 12" downward mounted woofer with port)Öthen 2 x 50W for a 6.5" midrange and tweeter, per channel.

DA50 only has one 10 inch woofer and a tweeter, both similar to KAT model 50. KAT 200 model is very different however from Simmons DA200S, different beast.
                    - - -
                    Remo Practice set conversion, DIY cymbals, PD-7's & PD-9's, CY-5, Sonor Hi-Hat stand, Roland TD-6V, Zoom RT-123, CB700 snare, Simmons SDMP1 Tunes: https://soundcloud.com/artly-there

Comment

Yes to all 3 questions and the 200 is stereo although you really have no seperation without external sattelites. As I said 4x the unit for 2x the price.

Comment

OKAY so now for a real kicker. Assuming I can return the KA1, do I go with the KA2 or the Simmons DA200? What are your takes on these two amps?

Comment

I wish you luck in your decisions. I know it's hard.

I didn't know I needed a drum specific amp until encountering your thread, but I've decided I do. Will be saving for a Simmons DA200S, since it's good for keyboards too (my other need).

KAT KA2: 12-inch Woofer, 1" x 1" Compression Driver. Does have a snare 'Crack' control.
                          About $369? I couldn't find any reviews (might be too new?)

DA200S: 12 inch woofer, 2 x 6.5" midrange + 2 x 2.5" tweeters. Stereo, even if not much separation as noted. (checkmark here for me)
                          $320 from Amazon (via Music123) including shipping. Mostly good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Simmons-DA200S.../dp/B0018TESAK
                          - - -

Comment

Originally posted by EssKayKay View Post
                            OKAY so now for a real kicker. Assuming I can return the KA1, do I go with the KA2 or the Simmons DA200? What are your takes on these two amps?
                            I have a DA200S. I think you will be disappointed. If you want the feel and sound quality, but don't need to project sound to an audience, consider good headphones/IEMs and a buttkicker.

-- Greg

Comment

The only buttkicker I would consider is the Porter and Davies and the price is way too much even for me!
                              The DA200 is proven the KA2 has not been reviewed very much.
                              My opinion would be if you want the feel go with an expensive sub or go acoustic.
                              The day I got my QSC Ksub and K10 I turned it way up to surprise my wife and she fell on her butt. She was standing about 4 feet in front of it. She said it felt like someone pushed her down.
                              I have never tried a Kat or a buttkicker but the reviews on the different buttkickers vary quite a bit. The P & D reviews are all good.
                              I would like a nice set of IEMs but again the $500 to $900 ( at least 2 if not 3 or more drivers) price for something I'm gonna stick in my ear is hard to consider.
                              Just my opinion of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X