Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gen 16 AE mic lights for other cymbals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen 16 AE mic lights for other cymbals

Does anyone have any experience using the Gen16 AE pickups to light non-Gen 16 cymbals? I'm hoping to mix a set of the new bronze Gen 16's in with my Hart eCymbals and thought it might look cool to purchase some of the AE pickups to put under the eCymbals. I don't have any experience with the Gen16's so this may not be possible or easy but my thought was to place an AE mic/light under each cymbal, plug them into the DCP and just turn the volume down all the way but still get the lights. Would it work that easily?
    Thanks,
    Michael

It's been recommended "not" to use the AE mic pickup for traditional cymbals. Frankly though...with the volume down...it may work just fine without damaging anything. However...the new Direct Source pickups have been used with success for this application. One must however drill a small hole (very small) in the cymbal in order to install the sensor. This will allow you to tweak the tones and get the lighting effect on your traditional cymbals if you want.
    8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Thanks Daniel. Since the AE mic pickups would be mounted below Hart eCymbals and I'd be using the sounds contours from my TD-20 for the Harts it doesn't seem that I'd need any other sound control than setting them to zero volume on the DCP and still get the lighting effect. Correct? $35 - $40 for AE mics compares pretty favorably to $70+ for DS pickups.

Comment

Like I said...they may be ok. The only thing I'd worry about would be damaging the condensor mics so to the extent they would not be able to be used with the proprietary system after using them in this application. They are supposed to be extremely sensitive. That's another reason the DS pickups would fare better for your application, IMHO, as they just pick up the physical vibrations directly from the struck surface and transmit that to the DCP. Sometimes the money justifies the means. Just a thought before you commit.
        8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
        http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Aaaah, got it.Thanks Daniel that makes sense.

Comment

• Alan VEX
            Alan VEX commented
            Editing a comment
            Test comment, please ignore

• Alan VEX
            Alan VEX commented
            Editing a comment
            Second test Response, From Firefox

• Alan VEX
            Alan VEX commented
            Editing a comment