Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

suggest a cymbal for heavy hitters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggest a cymbal for heavy hitters

Im using a repaired (quite a few times) alesis surge cymbal as a second crash and also crash ride too. Problem is it makes quite a noise when hit.was wondering what durable cymbals there is out there that will take a good smashing but the pad noise wont resonate out as much.go back to rubber i suppose??. I did manage to break a cy8 and a yamaha pcy before in the same position but they were quieter. The problem is we play alot more songs that require crashing then actual ride cymbal. The alesis holds up to the punishment but has this annoying clack sound going on.
    td6v and tm-2 samples, mesh diy drums with ddrum triggers, pd8 and pd85 .cy8 cymbals. peavey kb300 amplifier. premier double pedal.

Interesting situation you're in!
    Maybe try to cover the alesis with a piece of ruber to make it quieter? - I don't know.

Probably makes no sense to recommend Gen16's either... They crack without you doing much!

[just kidding, folks!]
    Greetings from Switzerland,
    - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Triggeras, made for the job.

Comment

do triggera do a crash? i thought it was just splash and china with them? i did think about rubber pad over top of alesis but defeats the object of it looking like a real cymbal in my mind.
        td6v and tm-2 samples, mesh diy drums with ddrum triggers, pd8 and pd85 .cy8 cymbals. peavey kb300 amplifier. premier double pedal.

Comment

They are currently still working on one!

So far I haven't heard complaints about their existing splash and china!
          Good stuff!
          - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

The alesis im using is 12" so to lose an inch on the splash wouldnt be so bad. how durable are the cy-12's compared to cy8?

Comment

Gotta go Triggera for your needs! Great cymbals at a great price.

Comment

• hemiboy
                hemiboy commented
                Editing a comment
                How much acoustic noise Kennyin from the triggers cymbals . Are they rubber over metal? I am waiting to see the new ride and crashes

Originally posted by drummerzuki View Post
              I did think about rubber pad over top of alesis but defeats the object of it looking like a real cymbal in my mind.
              Looks like a real cymbal, plays without a noise. Nope. Gotta make a choice sometimes.
              DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
              Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

@hemi...they are a lot louder acousticaly than Rolands and Yammies!

Comment

Rubber , right, Kennyin?

Comment

• KennyinDundee
                    KennyinDundee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Rubber over steel and heavy.

what about a cymbal silencer over the alesis to kill the dull clack sound could cut it to size and shape etc.

Comment

Originally posted by drummerzuki View Post
                    i did think about rubber pad over top of alesis but defeats the object of it looking like a real cymbal in my mind.
                    Originally posted by perceval View Post
                    Looks like a real cymbal, plays without a noise. Nope. Gotta make a choice sometimes.

A tricky task, for sure...

What you could try is 'Pure Gum Rubber Sheets'. They are not clear in appearance, but it was the same stuff Hart was using for their discontinued pads - seen on the ride-cymbal, like so:

Another thing you could try is clear vinyl dampener sheet on the bottom of the cymbal. It preserves the cymbals' playing-feel.

Jman did this to his 'Stealth' splash and china:

Taken from here:

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/ma...106#post983106

...and of course you may have to cover the whole cymbal to get the most silencing happening, I reckon.

HTH
                    Last edited by hairmetal-81; 04-01-14, 05:43 AM.
                    - Dänoh

Comment

Working...
                    X