Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Requesting help with drum notation software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requesting help with drum notation software

Hey Gang,

I'm interested in becoming a little better at training my ear in deciphering drum parts, and I thought the best way to do it would be to pick a few songs that I struggle a bit to figure out, and spend the time to write out the notation for them.

I was thinking that I'd take advantage of some of the drum notation software out there, but after looking into it, I have no idea where to start. There are a lot of them, and not a lot of people posting reviews or experiences.

I'm looking for something that's fast in terms of getting notes down and putting together the drum tracks; I don't need many bells and whistles but I wouldn't be upset if the software had them. Maybe software that could 'record' a midi performance and document it using notation, I guess that could be helpful.

Is anyone doing using any drum notation software that you like? Are there any features I should consider that I might not think of?

Thanks for any feedback!

~B.

Try Notion (on iPad) + iRigPro to channel MIDI into it.
    TD-30++ (TD-30, Diamond Electronic Drums 14x5 snare+Ludwig Atlas Pro II, 2xPDX-8, 2xPDX-6, VH-11+Gibraltar 9607DL-LD, 2xCY-12C, CY-13R, KT-10) + DA200S, almost all on an MDS-4 and a bit on the floor.

Comment

Thanks! I was looking for something more for the desktop, not having considered an iPad app. I'll look into that.

Comment

There's MuseScore for free (OSS), but it's a bit clumsy for me. I get along fine with GuitarPro - but it's not perfect.
        TD-11 with 1xPDX 100 and 2x 12" drum-tec Diabolo pads, VH-11, CY 15R, CY-8 + various VSTi's.

Comment

I use Finale PrintMusic, it's not perfect but I have used PrintMusic for years so it works for me, and it's relatively cheap.
          Mini-kit: TD-9 + Alesis Control Pad + Alesis Sample Pad + PDX-6 snare
          Micro-kit: Handsonic HPD-20 + an old pair of hands.
          Speakers: QSC-K10 "thumper", DBR-10 "little thumper"

Comment

Working...
          X